You are not Mexican, Irish, or Italian, you are an American

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Marcos, Oct 5, 2017.

1. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

I assume you mean born to American parents, right?

2. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Not true.. my kids have legal rights to a british passport .

3. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

The laws in most countries are straightforward and unequivocal. Children born to a parent ARE Nationals of that parent. They do not have a choice in the matter unless the parents have different nationalities. Special cases are when the parents are stateless, then the children are granted citizenship by birthplace in most EU countries.

Then there is the US where everything is muddled. Children born here are Nationals of the country of their parent(s) AND are US citizens. I think there are only a few countries that grant citizenship automatically based on being born in country. The US makes it especially complicated because the legal status of either parent is irrelevant.

Obviously a French child born to French parents but living and growing up in Germany could apply for German citizenship via the naturalization process but there are no meaningful advantages other than running for political office in Germany (is that an advantage ?o_O)

This is somewhat relevant due to Brexit. Many Brits living in the EU are choosing to naturalize as EU citizens so they won"t have to apply for visas and work permits in the event that Brexit becomes a hard exit.

dav7802 likes this.
  4. bailar y tocar

Ahem, only the ones you have acknowledged :D:p

vit and Smejmoon like this.
  5. terence

:D

6. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

7. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Marcos likes this.
  8. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

Interesting! I did not know this. What a mess!

9. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

All (a slight exaggeration) Americans identify themselves with hypenated identities. The irony is that America is a more homogenous (politically and legally) country than any other except Japan. People assimilate here better than any other place The stores, food (even ethnic food from elsewhere), the language, etc are almost the same across the whole continent size country! You are either Democrat or Republicans (Independents are simply one of the two in denial). You are either liberal or conservative. You either shop at Walmart or you don't. You buy stuff on Amazon. If you at all visit a foreign country in country it is either France or Italy. The Mexico and Canada are foreign to some and not to others :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

That is true for most countries in the world:

a. Citizenship by birth
    b. Citizenship inherited through parents
    c. In case of conflict between a and b, most let you choose/decide/change at age of 18.

There are some countries where you simply can't renounce citizenship in that there is no formal process to do so (or the country itself doesn't recognize renunciation)

Marcos likes this.
  11. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Not true.
    Interestingly, only 30 out of 196 countries grant citizenship upon birth. Jus Soli is Latin for 'right of the soil'. The countries from North America, entire South America except for Columbia, Lesotho, Pakistan, Tanzania and Tuvalu are the 30 countries that grant Unrestricted Jus Soli.

That is about 15% of the countries do this. I wouldn't say that is most. Your A and B order need to be switched. :)

Marcos likes this.
  12. bailar y tocar

This.
    I did not know it was 30 countries that grant by birth regardless of parentage. I thought it was only 5.

Anyways, then there is citizenship by "purchase".
    St. Kitts and Nevis: $250,000 donation to the "Sugar Fund" and no residency requirement. This caught the attention of Canadian authorites when many Chinese were entering Canada under reciprocal agreeements with St. Kitts and Nevis. Plus Chinese don't look very Caribbean.

Antigua & Barbuda: Not sure what the cost is, the residency requirement is 5 DAYS (as opposed to 12 years in Switzerland!!!).

13. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Very true, there is always a way to buy citizenship. Trump Jr was caught putting stuff on marketing materials in China for this exact thing.

Marcos likes this.
  14. terence

The Bahamas require a minimum bank account of half a million $ for residency ..

15. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

I understand what you are saying. The point I'm trying to make is that it causes confusion. English is one of the most technical languages on earth, with amazing ability for precision. I won't even consider saying that I'm Cuban on the basis that my grandmother was born there, Spanish because most of my family migrated to Puerto Rico from there, or Nigerian because the remainder came from there most likely on slave ships. I always say I'm Puertorican, and since I'm as blond as you I hear the most dumb redneck arguments thrown back at me all the time.

16. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

And I am telling you that when you say that to those of us who actually come from another location we actually think that you actually come from that location you are claiming. Do I need to rudely question every American's identity like every week an American rudely questions my Puertorican identity because I'm blonde?

If on the other hand you said, "I'm an Italian-American/Irish-American", or said "my mother's family comes from Ireland, my father's from Italy"; then everything would be perfectly clear.

17. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

But do they actually had said passports and the rights they grant?

My kids have both US and Japan passports, so they're actually dual nationals, VS my grandmother who could hypothetically get Spanish citizenship but doesn't actually have it.

18. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Well that 's fine. I know an ethnically Asian woman who was asked in Sweden "where are you from?" "Canada." "Yeah, but where are you from?" so it happens in other places as well that people are thinking of one's ancestry rather than one's current nationality. Everyone knows that people from the US do this because they want to feel a connection with their ancestry - generally they are proud of cultural aspects of their ancestry. If people think it's stupid - that's fine. I only care what style salsa people dance and whether or not the have sunk to dancing bachata and kizomba. ;)

dav7802 likes this.
  19. terence

Yes they do and, they have all the rights without an English passport (1st generation ), they were schooled here for a short period of time.. for FREE .
    Those "rights "apply now to most euro members .

timberamayor likes this.
  20. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Are you saying my friend who was born in Chicago to Puertorican parents. Who speaks Spanish & English, goes back to Puerto Rico once a year to visit family, practices Santeria, and is the whitest guy in LA has to say he is Puertorican-American.

I understand what you are saying about it being confusing. I am just explaining how American's think and talk when in the US. If you are visiting/living in the US then you should understand this and don't let it bother you. If the American is in another country then hopefully someone nice would explain it to them so that they could better explain it next time and then everyone is happy.

I would say how you respond to rude people is up to you. Kill them with kindness, I always say. Help to educate people.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Marcos likes this.