Woman weight to be lifted in tricks?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by DiVachata, May 2, 2017.

1. I have to agree with DJ Yuca:

Whenever I see someone doing lifts in a social - I think to myself: "what a clown".

DJ Yuca and DiVachata like this.
  2. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Did you all see the Tango video so you can see what I'm talking about? I think only Sina did heehe ... Take a look at it

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  3. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

You're all taking about exxagerated moves .. putting people in danger and old school stuff now :D and that doesn't cross my mind at socials same reasons ..

4. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Btw did yuca is a cool name ... Yuca casabe!

DJ Yuca likes this.
  5. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

I'll come back tomorrow and reply to all you nice people helping out on this thread!! Good night salseros!!

6. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

You obviously have never met some of my past students ! :eek::D

DiVachata likes this.
  7. I admit to having missed it. Nice video.
    @terence, I am curious: is that "proper" Tango or is it something in the realms of modern/'free-style'/hybrid?

----

While I don't mind dancers playing with their legs, I couldn't like the lifts - definitely not the ones in the end. My general (personal) rule in the matter of "styling" is that anything that the girl does - she does of her own free will, and by her own power: Girl turns by herself, girl dips herself, girl supports her own weight...I, of course, will be steady for her to hold me when necessary, and aware enough to catch an imbalanced girls come what may (Used to work with kids, that's almost an instinct!), but in general - she should do her things on her own.

DiVachata likes this.
  8. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

I live in LA and go out a lot and never seen tricks on the dance floor when social dancing. Dips.. yes.

azana and DiVachata like this.
  9. terence

Haven't seen the vid .

DiVachata likes this.
  10. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

That's true. I go for more of a compact NY style without a lot of spins.

terence and DiVachata like this.
  11. SnowDancer

Well... she could jump into your arms. :D

Dissonant Harmony and DiVachata like this.
  12. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Glad to hear it. Looks like that era has been consigned to the history books. (Although I don't like dips off stage either, but they seem to be common throughout the salsa scene.)

DiVachata likes this.
  13. SnowDancer

I think small dips, where the woman supports herself, are okay. I hate it when guys do the big dramatic ones on the dance floor, first because it takes up too much room, second, because it's dangerous, and third, because it looks really cheesy.

DiVachata likes this.
  14. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I don't like little ones either (in social dancing), but I am old fashioned.

15. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

I have to admit that occassionally I do lifts in a social context but only if the lady's hold and positioning is basically requesting it. In all occassions the lady has a very good posture, extremely close hold and is applying a downwards pressure on my showlder-line and the holding hand which means I just need to apply a bit of upwards lift on the holding hand and she is up. I then usual make a semi or full rotation and land her back.

I know...guilty...but when the right occassion, song and lady arise, then I just follow my insticts, shut the rest out and just go for it. On the weight, I have done it with taller/bigger women than me and as long as she remains close it is ok.

SnowDancer and DiVachata like this.
  16. G809

G809 Changui

Yes, lifts and dips can be really fun, as long as space and circumstances allow, and we're out dancing to have fun. There's nothing to feel guilty about. If some sourpuss doesn't like it, that's their problem :).

DiVachata likes this.
  17. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Good thing you guys watched the video so you could see what im talking about. Im not about to go Olympics lifts on the dancefloor Lol ! Well I see some of you think its cheesy hahah, but even if its cheesy please talk about technique so that I can learn some more. I see there are very experienced dancers and teachers here !
    Yes the lighter the girl its better, so I need to either lose weight or continue to learn proper technique while im losing the weight. Becuase ive taken courses for other dance genres I can do some tricks intuitively.

A girl dip herselef hahah its funny to hear that Dissonant Harmony, thats not ok at all.

Hahaha I got a trophy for coming back !! Well its not nice to leave people speaking with the walls ! I asked and people reply, you have to be polite and come back !

You all seem to know each other. Did you all know each other from the forum and has it taken you to meet in person at any Congress ?

18. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Some guys DO basic tricks like the ones in my video in our club and its not cheesy to us, except when you can really notice the guy does it to show off.

19. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Just to clarify that while for lifts the weight does matter, the posture is even more important. If we forget about lifts, I have danced social normal moves with ladies that were 80-90kg (or more) and felt light as a feather but also with super thin girls that almost broke my back. It is a lot about the centre of gravity of the lady.

DiVachata likes this.
  20. terence

Yep, It's "proper " A/Tango. More into advanced styling, with the Hip lift being fairly common place ,

Dissonant Harmony likes this.