Woman weight to be lifted in tricks?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by DiVachata, May 2, 2017.

1. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

How much should a woman dancer weigh for men to be able to lift her during tricks?
    Basic tricks on social dancing , not performance.

2. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

3. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Good for you

4. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Avoid being witty, sugar coating or sarcastic with personal answers that don't relate. I ask cuz want to try out for performance team and want to give it a try first in socials after losing weight last year. Hoping someone will be helpful with a reply.

5. G809

G809 Changui

I think it depends a lot on the type of trick, the level of the dancers, and the guy lifting. It would be much safer and easier to try in a lesson environment vs. a crowded social. I saw a local team performance recently where followers were lifted into some challenging tricks; the girls were definitely not large but a couple were fairly tall and seemed bigger than the guys lifting. The video is on youtube: search "D'Vinity Dance Company's D'Votion- Lose My Breath", around 1 minute in.

DiVachata likes this.
  6. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

In my opinion tricks, basic or otherwise, have no place whatsoever in social dancing.

wol, terence, elanimal and 8 others like this.
  7. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

Yeah and he almost lost balance, I got a mini heart attack from watching

G809, DiVachata and Al Israel like this.
  8. Sina

Sina Changui

Tricks look easy, but need a lot of training. I cannot imagine to do lifts at social dancing or exercise them there. The lighter the lady, the better for the men. But there are other essentials: momentum, aps of lady ..., and the men must be powerful and stable.

DiVachata likes this.
  9. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Checking it out. I'll reply more later during the day! Thnx everyone

10. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Yes the class environment is best, but I would have to wait 1 more year to take classes on this topic. Or I can also practice at home with a partner. I have lost 30 pounds but Im guessing I need 15 pounds less. Guys do leans and dips on me now but not before. I want to try lifts. Although I see some not that skinny girls being lifted. Right now Im at 145, so maybe at 130? .

Obviously the club is not the place to do really high lifts or tricks, no need to go to extremes. So Ill eplxain that sometimes our club is a bit empty and I see dancers doing small or basic lifts. This is a tango video but something similar to all of these I would like to start doing. Specially I mean like the one at 1:01

youtube . com / watch?v=AuptMnrPYcg

- I still cant post links so I put spaces -

What do you think ?

11. DiVachata

DiVachata Changui

Nice ! Yes, girls are medium sized I like that !
    I agree, the guys have to be strong and keep balance. Girls have to keep center and not let go their weight on the guy (is that the way to word it ? )

12. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I think it's okay to do simple lifts on the dance floor, as long as it's between consenting adults. Really, I will ask a woman first if it's all right, because not everyone finds this acceptable. But a few friends like it, and we'll do something basic like a cross body lead where I'm lifting the woman with my hip, or a move where she leans against my side and I lift her slightly.

It's not just the woman's weight or the guy's strength; the woman's strength also helps a lot.

DiVachata likes this.
  13. elanimal

elanimal Nuevo Ritmo

the video for everyone's enjoyment, at ~1:10:

I'm guessing you, @DiVachata , prefer dancing sensual bachata, zouk, zoukchata, etc, instead of salsa, correct? And you want to be led into dips and tricks during these dances, and not salsa, correct? Either way, I'll answer your question:

I don't see anyone leading girls into tricks when dancing salsa socially. It simply doesn't happen. The few times I have seen it, the tricks are not crazy, such as in this video of Terry and Magna at 2:05:

However, sensual bachata and zoukchata practitioners sometimes do. I'm only speaking from what I've seen: the girls that get launched into little tricks while social dancing are basically the size of Magna.

When it comes to performances, it depends on the choreo. Some teams, like Yamulee, seem to have a cutoff at Magna size. Other teams have girls who are above 6 ft doing splits and simple lifts.

I think it is a wonderful thing that you have lost weight, if it means you are now living a healthier lifestyle. If I were a girl, I would do my best to not get hung up on being led into tricks while social dancing, because I don't have control over that in the dance.

DiVachata likes this.
  14. Sina

Sina Changui

I think the tricks in the video you sent are o.k. for the dance floor, if there is enough space.

I though you were talking about tricks like in that ;).

www. youtube. com / watch?v=a60yf59hedU
    i hope you can watch the link....

DiVachata likes this.
  15. DJ Yuca

On a regional level it happens a lot. My personal opinion is that it's a gimmick used to disguise shortcomings in the leads' dancing, which is why decent leads never do it (unless they're on stage). In fact tricks were a hallmark of LA style a few years ago (and may still be for all I know).

I accept though that it may be subjective (hence the popularity of LA style in the 90s). To me tricks on the dancefloor will always be 'flash 'n' trash'.

DiVachata and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  16. Aurel

Aurel Sonero

WHY!?!?! My eyes hurt, my ears bleed, ...

Doing lifts and other tricks where the feet get 20+cm in the air or the girl gets spun with feet off the ground on a social dance floor is just dangerous. You never know what will happen. You might hit somebody with stiletto heals, the lead could slip on a spilled drink, somebody behind might knock you over, one of the participants might tense up at wrong moment and pull a muscle, etc. There are just too many variables that can not be controlled like sweaty palms or loose or slippery clothing. The only place to do tricks is on the stage between partners who know the trick, have correct technique and know the trick is coming, preferably if they trained it together.

As to the original question - weight - the lighter the girls is, the better. But, obviously, a lot depends on the technique of both partners and the weight/size ration between them. Even a 50kg girl can get a 100kg man off-balance if she does not have correct position or tonus.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    LarsM, terence, DiVachata and 4 others like this.
  17. Aurel

Aurel Sonero

Also one more thing that is probably even more important than the actual weight is the fact, that human beings generally don't come with handles on their bodies.

It is very difficult to lift somebody for their body part if it is covered in fat, because it adds to the circumference (thus having bad grip position) and because it is soft (almost impossible to get a good grip). So the best thing is to hold for a bone (e.g. hand, elbow, bony hips, etc.). One can usually get a good grip on the muscular parts of a body, but it can hurt (the one being held) and leave bruises.

DiVachata likes this.
  18. DJ Yuca

Indeed. If I see someone doing such foolishness at an event I am at, I try to stay as far away from them as possible.

DiVachata likes this.
  19. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I agree, and never thought I would do them. But... there's a strange guy in our scene whose dancing is JUST lifts and tricks, generally done without any regard for the music. He looks completely rhythm-deaf. Yet, there are several women who love dancing with him, and these include a few that I also dance with. So along the lines of, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", I started to try a couple of the simpler, safer moves with those women. Only I do mine on time. :)

DiVachata likes this.
  20. DJ Yuca

Whatever floats your boat. In fact if you were in LA you'd probably be considered a low key dancer.

DiVachata likes this.