Wolf Like Me - Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by SirDancealot, Nov 11, 2011.

1. SirDancealot

SirDancealot Son Montuno

Just thought I'd post up a recommendation which people might not have heard yet. This track is one of my current favourates and is really nice to dance to (you never quite know until you've tried sometimes).

I heartily recommend checking it out! ;-)

(I'm also thinking that the broader coverage it gets the more likely it is people will be playing it for me at congresses so there is a bit of self interest too :-D)

Anyone any other recommendations? I feel like adding something interesting to my usual playlists!

2. GianniMano

GianniMano Changui

Hello there, this is Gianni Mano from the WSO. Thanks for listening to our music, and helping spread the word! We're totally indie - no record label or anything - so we really appreciate it when DJs and music lovers enjoy our style and tell others about us.

Our debut at world-famous NYC salsa club SOBs (Sounds of Brazil) is coming up on 11/25 so we've made our full album available for free download to help spread the word. Here's the link, and let me know if you can make it to a show sometime. Thanks again.

http://soundcloud.com/williamsburgsalsaorch/sets/debut-album

3. SirDancealot

SirDancealot Son Montuno

Thanks for the reply and for bringing a much needed urban sabor to our salsa nights. I'll be sure to share the link above on facebook!

Best of luck in New York-I'm sure it will go spectacularly and well done for going it alone without a record label! If you ever make it onto UK shores I'll be trying my utmost to be there!

Oh and more tracks like wolf like me please guys! Hopefully you can pick up where Alex Wilson left off years ago!

I'll be watching your progress with enthusiasm!

4. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Good luck with the SOBs gig! Hey, I saw a vinyl copy of your record at Academy on N. 6th St. a few weeks ago.

5. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to SF, GianniMano!

While I usually don't enjoy salsa in english (as I've mentioned in another thread), I'm still open to listen to any new tunes. So I've been listening to your debut album today and have to admit that while I don't enjoy all tunes, there are some that I think will enjoy a listen to every now and then. So I wish you all the best and keep up the good work!

6. GianniMano

GianniMano Changui

Thanks for the encouragement, dudes!
    Sir Dancealot: check out our track, Pleasure Town. The mambo section is the most trad on the album, and it's become a minor club hit in Columbia thanks to DJ El Chino who is a big fan.

Groovetpt: The vinyl 10" is on the Names You Can Trust Label (nyctrust.com). They had it remastered for vinyl and it's pretty slamming. DJ Bobbito was playing it up in Spanish Harlem last week. We'll be at The Brooklyn Bowl on Sun. Dec 4th, if you are in the 'hood.

And Chris: Great Site!! This is an invaluable service. I realize that we are coming out of left field, but I'm sticking to the classic instrumentation with baby bass, horns, piano, 3 percussion, etc...No samples or synths, and we made the album live with no click track, old school style. (Only some vocals and a note here and there were overdubbed.)

--Gianni

7. El Caobo

El Caobo Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

I have and enjoy this album!

8. SirDancealot

SirDancealot Son Montuno

You guys are definately one to watch! Pleasure Town is quite good - a bit too mambo-y for my tastes but it's definately one I'd play if the on2 crowd were round (as it's an example of a song that might please both groups).

Your link is now floating around facebook and a good few of my DJ friends have commented on the thread so hopefully we'll have some adopters Gianni! :)

Also I noticed it played by a DJ in another city a few weeks back who I'd mentioned it to a while before that! It looks like it's spreading ;-)

9. matty

matty Shine Officer

Welcome Gianni !
    your song "pleasure town" is being heard in Ireland too
    a friend of mine DJ Leo plays it a lot in Dublin and i have played it a few times too

I mentioned this song in another thread as i think its an example of Salsa in English with a more natural sound

good work! and best of luck:)

10. El Caobo

11. El Caobo

I like "Pleasure Town" more and more each time that I hear it! Very nice track... and in English! :)

12. Latinmusik

Latinmusik Sonero

I play the song at the moment with "Young Folks" at every party. The secrets of the songs are the amazing arrangements. To keep a song for the dancer over 7 minutes alive its hard but Gianni makes here a great job. I love the CD.

13. El Caobo

Yes, I agree! I really like the cd.