Why you dance bachata?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Burritos, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Burritos

Burritos Changui

Hello, I`m new on this forum. Also my English isn`t very good but I`ll give my best to express my mind. I`m making some kind of social research if you can call it like that. I need some opinions on bachata both from guys and girls. Why do you dance bachata? What is the reason? Why I`m asking this is because lots of people who I know says that bachata is all about squeeze (not sure if it`s the right word but I think you got me). At least for guys. Also there are lots of people who think that bachata is just the way how some guys can get in close contact with women that they couldn`t get close without bachata. So I was wondering how true is that? That`s why I decided to make this research. Also I made it to find out why people dance bachata in general. Is it true that for most guys bachata is just the way how they can get in close contact with girls? Also what about you girls? Why do YOU dance bachata? The only thing what I heard about sensual dances from girls is that they prefer things like bachata over salsa because it gives different kind of feeling. One girl told me: “Salsa for me is like a challenge while sensual dances allows me to close my eyes and feel totally relaxed”. So tell me your opinions about bachata and sensual dances in general. Why do you dance it? Thanks in advance.

2. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

I don't dance Bachata because I don't particularly like the music. However, I don't see why Bachata has to be danced close. It's up to each partner to decide how close to dance it.

Slowdance likes this.
  3. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious Shine Officer

I only read the subject because I'm allergic to walls of text.

I think bachata is a nice dance for the last song of the evening, but I otherwise prefer salsa for the complexity of music and its energy.

alvinthethird likes this.
  4. wol

wol Sonero

My reasons after learning bachata for ~4mnth:
    1. It is much more universal dance than salsa (can be danced to wide range of music).
    2. It is much simpler to use it in "non-dancing" social events as the basic leading is much simpler than salsa.

No, "squeezing" is not really a reason for bachata at all.

Its is, actually, pain, that salsa can not be danced to any other music, but salsa (I tried, but even when tempo fits, which is rarely, it feels strange) :( It limits its usefulness to only salsa events :(

5. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Amen to that !!..:dancingbanana:

timberamayor likes this.
  6. terence

LOL !

7. vit

vit Clave Commander

That's why they invented other dances as well (including bachata) ;)

8. wol

wol Sonero

True :) Only complaint I have, that dance schools do not warn about this in advance. When you (as a complete beginner) look at what dance to learn (to dance socially), salsa is the main option, which comes up :( Which is IMHO very bad choice for first dance. From the dances I have tried so far (Salsa, Cuban Cha-Cha, WCS, some balroom and bachata), Simple (not close) version of bachata would be my top choice, if I would have to start from the beginning again.

9. terence

If you really want " simple ", then add merengue .

alvinthethird likes this.
  10. wol

wol Sonero

There are no merengue classes, where I live :( Seems, that only classes, which has enough students are Salsa (LA and Cuban), Bachata, Kizomba and standard balroom :( Waiting forever for son class to start. Or a bit more advanced cuban cha-cha :(
    I do not like learning from videos very much :(

11. Zen

Zen Changui

I started to dance bachata because I did not want to be a wallflower when the dj played one and because it's a little easier than salsa.;)

12. Burritos - one thing to keep in mind as you do your research is that this forum is made up mostly by people whose first love is salsa - for many (myself included) it is a bit of an afterthought, not the main reason why we go out and dance. So keep that in mind.

The reason why I am finally - after a couple of years of resisting bachata - am coming around to it - is that lately I have been asked to
    dance it by ladies. And this is in spite of the fact I am not a particularly talented bachata guy, so it is not because of my dancing. I think that for whatever reason, ladies like this dance a lot. The bachata lessons also seem to be packed with ladies, more than guys. Many of the guys I know feel the way I do - for me bachata is not anywhere as enjoyable as salsa, the music is much inferior to salsa, and it is even somewhat annoying to me when too much bachata being played cuts down on the number of salsa dances played.

Yet even so, it doesn't seem to be going away, so I have taken enough bachata classes to feel comfortable enough with it. For me it is not a squeeze opportunity, merely a change of pace, a lesser but fun dance that can help fill some of the gaps in the salsa playlist. For me
    it is similar in this regard to merengue.

13. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Cause some of the music is really good and some of the girls hot. Also i dance it with newbies that can't really manage salsa yet. Music is slower. No fast turns.

14. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Priceless!! That about sums it up!! Anyway welcome to the forum Burritos (love that name, feeling hungry just saying it.)

15. terence

I respect your choices, but, to say that bachata music is "inferior ", gives no credit to your opinions. Latin music, of all genres within those boundaries, are part of the music feast available to all.
    I personally dont care for Timba music, but, I do respect its place in the hierarchy .

jgomsi, alvinthethird and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  16. Ron Snijders

Ron Snijders Tumbao

As a total beginner, I'm dancing bachata because it gets played often at the socials I'm attending, and I don't want to sit them all out :)
    And people who dance bachata well look cool, so I'm trying to learn it. I feel like a total oaf when dancing bachata though, so I mostly dance it with ladies I know a bit, that know I'm trying to learn.

17. Terence - if you read my post it says... for me ... the music is inferior. That is the truth. For me the music is inferior. That is my opinion and my intention in making this post was to respond to the original posters query with my true opinion. You may think my true opinion is inferior to yours, but I believe an opinion is just an opinion - or should be.

18. terence

No, I dont think your opinion is inferior, I just dis-agree with your music concept. Did I not say I respect your choices ? .
    As i stated , I dont like Timba, but i dont put it down..

19. ColdSalsero

ColdSalsero Shine Officer

Unfortunately, no, I don't understand what you mean by "squeeze". Could you please explain what you mean?

20. Kromat83

Kromat83 Sonero

Bachata is one of those dances to want to learn and you don't need to dance close all the time, if your still not comfortable with it, and feel that the girl wont allow it, and it's a nice change of tempo from Salsa, like the reason I enjoy Merengue.
    I actually prefer Bachata music over Salsa, as I like the slower pace.
    When a Salsa comes up, I can even dance a Samba if it allows for it, it's the same with Kizomba and Cumbia styles as I like to vary it up.
    I would rather learn Zouk than Salsa or Bachata if it was more widely available, which isn't the case.
    Bachata is one of those dances to show emotion, that you like dancing with the person you are with, and if not expressed probably it'll look weird until done properly.
    Just take it for what it is, as I would rather learn Bachata than Kizomba.