Why does dance attract soo many feminist?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Maise Salsa, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maise Salsa

Maise Salsa Changui

Lets make one thing clear, I dont have a problem with feminist taking up dance!

However I am encountering problems with feminist and left wing women.

This is to the feminists who read this; would you be less likely to dance with guys who have differing opinions and political beliefs? Me and my friends(some trump supporters) who share great dances with certain women never talk about politics in dance. However, when the friendship grows and they add each other on facebook, they get attacked for their political beliefs. Ultimately this ends up in the girl refusing to dance with my friends.

As a result of this, if a feminist dancer adds me, I'll add them, remove them, and lastly block their account. That way they dont get mad that I didnt add them, plus they dont get to see my account activity. Its a very disturbing trend and it makes me shy away from the social aspect of dancing.

Thoughts anyone?

2. G809

G809 Changui

It seems pretty natural to me that someone who promotes hate or intolerance on their facebook page will get shunned by others. I don't think it has anything to do with feminists. If I were a bigot looking to make friends while hiding my views, though, I would probably set the privacy settings such that any questionable postings would only be seen by certain, like-minded groups of friends. That's very easy to do on facebook.

3. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly; well-expressed. The immediate move to blame the women, label them as “feminist” as if this is a derogatory designation and ignore the fact that these men may have unpleasant views, is a concern. Being feminist or not is irrelevant, both to one’s political views and who one chooses to dance with. The tendency to avoid someone with differing political views could occur in men just as easily in women. If some women do choose to avoid men with certain views, that is ultimately their own choice.

4. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I'm a feminist and I don't dance with any guys, ever.

5. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

This has happened to me after befriending someone and seeing some of their fairly crazy FB posting. Whether I want it to or not, it affects how I view that person and that in turn affects the connection we have while dancing.

timberamayor, Smejmoon and Jag75 like this.
  6. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

Hmmmmmm.... maybe it's better to keep your political opinions to yourself when posting here. As far as I'm aware most dancers tend to be liberal (salsa being about multiculturalism etc).

I'm a feminist because I believe in gender equality which we haven't quite attained yet, but that's another debate.

I personally get annoyed when someone uses "feminist" in a derogatory manner, but that's just me.

timbero-fi, G809, LarsM and 4 others like this.
  7. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Welcome to the salsaforums Maise and just do what you always do as hunted and oppressed minority. Lay low, speak quiet, smile, and keep your opinions to yourself. Post only kitty pictures on the facebook. Don't tell us that you dance k*zomba.

wol and Chris_Yannick like this.
  8. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

:D:D

timberamayor likes this.
  9. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

Us adult, white males from the West have it so rough! :( :panda:

10. Smejmoon

And the size.. it's the easiest to pick on someone that can't hide well... :panda::beaver:

LarsM likes this.
  11. Marisha

Marisha Tumbao

This post shows why I do not have FB.:)

Maise Salsa and Joco like this.
  12. granrey

granrey Son Montuno

I have not seen it

13. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

@Maise Salsa are you implying that feminists are more drawn to dance salsa, bachata, kizomba than non-feminist women? Or, to avoid using the word feminist, more left-leaning women are drawn to social dancing than right-leaning women?

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd actually agree with you. To answer your original, more precisely stated question: why would left-leaning women be more interested in salsa than right-leaning women?

Here are three tweets:

[​IMG]

The way Mr. Trump handled Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, insulting Puerto Ricans, humiliating us, and directly stating 'this is not a real disaster like Katrina,' shows us what he really thinks about us.

Although I know your avatar implies you dance kizomba, you did come on "Salsa Forums," a genre propped up and promulgated by Puerto Ricans and other Brown people.

It is pretty clear Mr Trump does not like us, to say the least. It is natural that if someone feels strong enough to voice their positive opinions on Mr. Trump on a public platform like facebook, we can take that as a relatively strong indicator that said supporter does not respect or like Salsa for what it truly is. That includes right-leaning women not being very attracted to the music and its creators and dancers, while left-leaning women who are less likely to harbor those views would be more interested in the dance.

I won't step up to bat and raise what hypotheses I would have as to why right-leaning men, in particular, would be interested in partaking in this community. But if you don't see why they would be ostracized, I would have to say, isn't it obvious?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Nuyorican, timmer and Cenicienta like this.
  14. Smejmoon

Left leaning it is.. They lean on my right arm. 82%.

Dissonant Harmony and LarsM like this.
  15. G809

G809 Changui

As an aside, it does seem to me that the salsa, bachata, and kizomba scenes (at least in the US) are much more conservative and heteronormative than many other social dance scenes, like swing or blues. As a result, I think "feminists" are more inclined to participate in some of the more progressive (from a gender equality standpoint) social dance scenes.

khabibul35 likes this.
  16. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

One of my unspoken rules is: leave politics out of the dance discussion, always. A few dance friends of mine are quite outspoken on social media about certain issues (politics, religion, veganism, etc). I simply unfollow them. I never engage in the topic when i see them either. Although i am pretty sure i could have a civil conversation with any of them if i wanted to. The problem is social media distorting everything that people say.

Maise Salsa, Marisha and Smejmoon like this.
  17. granrey

granrey Son Montuno

I feel sorry for guys that encounter feminazis on the dance floor.

a feminazy will only behave like one when she does not like the guy or she knows the guy likes her so much that she can get away with her behaviour.

a woman can be a feminazy with many guys but very nice to few because she likes those few and those few are not that into her.

feminist and feminazy are not the same thing.

18. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

So a few girls detested you for having different political views, and now
    dance attracts sooo many feminists.

Am I following through right?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  19. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

The way I understood it, it actually happened to some friends of his and he is blocking FB friends just as a preventive measure. Which begs the question how popular is he with these now de-friended and blocked women?

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  20. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I've no idea what that even means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.