Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

Has anyone tried one of the aventura dance cruise (Miami an LA)?
    It seems like a interesting concept.

SnowDancer likes this.
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

I know a few dancers who have tried it or are planning to this year.

3. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Updated list:

Cuba Mi Salsa Festival, Limassol Cyprus - tomorrow!
    El Sol Salsa Festival, Warsaw Poland

Sabrosura likes this.
  4. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Review of the festival:

2.5 hours of social dancing a night. Party over at 4 am even though rooms were packed. Shows went until 1 am with no dancing meanwhile. Before shows no dancing.

The venue was a nice hotel on the beach but only part if it was used by the festival, very odd. No social dancing in the afternoon. There was a "pool party" on Sunday with 15 min of social dancing, an hour of shows, another 15 min of social dancing and then everyone was sent to the pool...where there was no music and people stood around. The music from the dance floor was then lowered vecause of a concert at the hotel. Tgen they said party is over guys, the end. People paid 20 euros for that pool party if you can imagine.

This was the 8th and hopefully last edition of the festival. In general Limassol is pretty boring and the beaches are unimpressive.

The salsa level was quite low in terms of leads and follows, but many people were seriously into afro. Almost every person at the festival performed. They didn't get as arrogant as performers in Israel but still not what I would call fun. Style over substance and connection.

Positives: (Save the best for last)
    Cypriots, male and female, were very very friendly, barely any rejections by either gender were seen by me at the festival, and I didn't get any.

On Sunday a local took us to a party in town at the Crowne Plaza, free entrance with pool access and amazing music. The level was much higher than the festival, people were not showing off as much and, of course, on2>Cuban for me. Also danced some great bachata songs there. The party was a tad lead-heavy but no rejections. We even got a ride back with other locals.

The festival artists also held impromptu after parties on the beach with a bluetooth speaker. The atmosphere was nice but the organisers should have been responsible for it.

All in all, skip the festival but worth checking out social dancing.

5. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

I have done Paris and Sibenik this year. Going to at least four to five more congresses/festivals through Warsaw this year. I need to check up Macmoto's record and see if I can break her record. Though I suspect smejmoon is the person to beat :D

SnowDancer likes this.
  6. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

:D I'm quite careful this year, no binging.

Kyiv, Vilnius, Prague, Trondheim, Rovinj, Šibenik, Rostov, Riga,

Budapest, Prague, Berlin, (maybe Rostov for fun), Warsaw.

What I should do is go to Romania. All stories say, it's as good as Rostov, except people are Latinos (which is a plus from musical perspective) and short (which makes it a bit harder to dance). Hung out with bunch of Romanian dancers in Šibenik and they're locos! :)

7. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

Great work! What did you think of Vilnius? I am thinking about that next year.

And which month is Romania? I saw a couple of different months and could not tell which was the biggest. October?

8. Smejmoon

I love Vilnius, but I know many people, I have 4 hour bus ride and it's the first fest I went. So I'm biased. City is very nice; I recommend to take walks. DJs are average (Local DJ Weedska is great); dancing is good, location is good, I avoid shows. It's small and friendly. The way I like it.

I don't know about Romania; probably just will take something where flights are ok; it's a big hassle to go there from here.

9. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

You already beat me by a mile :D I don't recognize the first three cities on your list!

I thought Prague is very small with only 50 or 100 dancers each. Some of the Romanians, I danced with at Sibenik were very good!. Not sure though which one is their best festival. One that I read about seemed pretty small. When is Budapest?

10. Smejmoon

It's either 250 or 300 dancers total. It's a quality not quantity event.

I'm not sure either, but it's more about where I can get good flights. It's like 2 connections for me. If you want recommendations, I can ask.

https://www.facebook.com/events/262641340863667/

You don't like smaller events? I can already tell that Berlin will be the worst with Rovinj next. (Rovinj of course is much much better than Berlin)

11. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

As I was saying to other SF members elsewhere, dance event with 200 odd dancers (which means 100 partners) is more like a local social.

For me something on the scale of Sibenik is small. Which is perfect in terms of something being small. I wouldn't go any smaller than Sibenik. I usually am picky about music I would feel like dancing to and usually will not dance with same person more than once a night (with some exceptions of course). With an event being any smaller, that means dancing with the same people again and again :). And if I wanted to dance with same person again the same night, I would really wait to choose a right song. But a right song coming along doesn't mean I would get the second dance (she may be far away, someone gets to her first, or I don't see her).

I thought Prague marathon was around sep 1st weekend. Budapest is clashing with it based on link you provided. My tickets are already booked for Sep anyways (for Morocco). I was looking for anything interesting following Berlin weekend.

12. Smejmoon

Prague marathon.
    September 29 – October 1
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1604682852906675/

13. Smejmoon

This is a choice where in Berlin you have 100 great dancers, but you need to find them inside of crowd of 5000. In Šibenik you 20 great dancers, you need to find them inside crowd of 200 people. In Berlin you have thousands of bad dancers, in Šibenik you have probably ten. These are all approximations, maybe I'm just old and lazy, but I don't want to sift through the crowds. In European fests I already have lots of good dances lined up. In Riga I was really regretting that there were so many good dancers that I knew I want to dance with, but I could not, because I was so tired or busy.

Look at the DJ lineup for Prague. Which event has it better?

And of course your chances to get right dance with right song and partner are larger in smaller event. You both can adjust over time, you can just go to DJ and ask for the song.

But to each it's own. If someone likes shows, please go to Istanbul, Berlin, Bernidorm.

14. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

Oops I knew Prague marathon was the weekend before Berlin. And the Budapest is the weekend before Marrakesh. Logistically both are impossible. I have my tickets to Marrakesh booked. I am returning from Asia only two days before Prague starts. But even if I wasn't I would have skipped it since Berlin is the following week.

I love Prague and would have loved to dance there at an event. But 200-300 is still far too less. Though it is billed as marathon (very common in Tango world) and not a festival, I still count it as an event.

What in your opinion are top 5 European events/festivals ?

I have no idea how Berlin will turn out. For a large congress, I truly enjoyed Warsaw last year. Paris wasn't large - may be twice the size of Sibenik at best. It was okay. Sibenik was pretty good.

Coming back to 20 great dancers compared to 100 great dancers, the 100 is always bigger than 20 :) It is very easy to spot who are the good dancers most of the time. It is easy to avoid most of the bad dancers whether they are 100 or 2000.

It is okay and normal for me to miss out on dancing with some good dancers that I want to any given night. I can't get around to dancing with everyone I want to. Not out of laziness. Just being busy or being in wrong place or being picky about which song I want to dance to.

I never done that. I am not that social :D

Bottom line is that it is not worth traveling to an event and the expenses, if it is like going to be like a large social (unless it happens to be in vicinity of another place one is going to). 200 people at a social is not uncommon in my local scene. Before San Francisco got gentrified, we had three or four nights a week to go out dancing where the crowd would range between 200-400 people through the night. It is also different to travel two hours for an event, vs 16 hours flight :)

BTW any idea what next generation congress at Milan is about in second/third weekend of Sep. It is taking place right after Marrakesh. Between my travels it so happened that it falls on a weekend and I get to see Milan and surrounding areas. I never been to Italy and that is the primary reason, not the congress. Coincidently I happen to be in India the same time they have a congress taking place there. Not sure if I will go or not.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  15. Smejmoon

This I completely agree to. And it's just one way for you. Money and time and jetlag adds up.

Rostov, Warsaw, Šibenik, Prague, Rīga.

But this is me, based on my subjective criteria:

Level of social dancing, positive (and all others in reality) emotions, quality music (highly subjective, live music a bonus), location, weather, ease of travel (time, cost).
    So Riga is there before Paris, because of emotional qualities and travel costs. Even though I assume indirectly that dance levels are much higher in Paris than in any city on the world.

Curiously in my limited experience the best salsa dancers in that area are also from Eastern Europe. In the last party we went they were talking in Russian. :D

16. Smejmoon

Btw I plan to go to Sal Sounds in 3 weeks and check out Paris scene in general. Anyone else?

17. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

Yes, if I am not wrong, San Francisco has largest Russian immigrant population in the states. Back at its height (in terms of dance quality) many good followers were Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Polish, in that order (of numbers). My guess is about 30% of the followers would be central or Eastern European. Other 30% would be Asian and some 20% would be latinas.

In tango scene locally it is more skewed. I will say about 40% of the Tango dancers (both male and females) are of Russian origin.

18. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

I do Berlin and Warsaw this year. Berlin already annoys me with all those special passes, updates and stuff....

Smejmoon likes this.
  19. Smejmoon

So you're taking party pass or social party pass?? :D :D

20. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

I almost bought the party pass..i realized last minute that I probably want the social pass instead..