Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

Ah, bummer (edit: maybe not the best choice of words :D). To be fair, it wouldn't be the first festival I would recommend on a budget anyway.

Considering Vienna in December - anyone been? http://viennasalsacongress.com/venue/

Dancing at a castle in Vienna near christmas sounds pretty sweet to me!

SnowDancer likes this.
  2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

I'll be on a festival roll after I move back to Europe in August so I might come :) I love Vienna, and I spent Christmas and New Year's in Vienna a couple years ago and loved it :)

LarsM likes this.
  3. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

4. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

That does not apply. I bet you have danced in swimsuit, flippers, sunglasses on and all wet from sweat and some sand here and there. That's the context for beach parties.
    So you might get the same dancers from Paris dancing differently in different contexts.

Actually I saw one girl from you Paris video that went to Šibenik last year. :D

5. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Yeah I have, in Cuba and DR, where both the beaches and the partners were better (in both dance skills and other qualities :) ) than they appear to be at the European beach festivals :p Plus the dancing was free there :) So yeah if I want beach dancing (of which I'm not a big fan, and not a fan of pool dancing either), I'll stick to Cuba and DR trips :p

6. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

Vienna is a great city itself to visit.

The congress is one of the most expensive in Europe (almost Berlin-esque in pricing). I simply refuse to pay 40Euros and up for a party, especially if there's no live band.

I am constantly disappointed year after year from managerial decisions made by the organizers such as yearly venue changes, no selling of individual party tickets, etc... Last year they didn't even have a congress.

In previous years, there was dancing at the Christmas markets and knowing that the venue was really close by was part of its charm. This year they are moving the venue further away from the city centre, which I find again disappointing.

I will go again this year because I live 60 kms away from Vienna, but it is the only reason I am going.

7. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

No one is else going to Sibenik?

I am still interested. Yes the accommodation is expensive, especially at the beach resorts. I have heard from several people I trust that the dancing level there is pretty good. Plus it happens to be around July 4th!

8. Offbeat

I don't trust videos and hardly see any videos before going to congresses. I trust word of mouth from people who have been there before, whose dancing level I am familiar with.

I was thinking Croatia would be reasonable :D It is very expensive!!

9. Smejmoon

I'm going to Šibenik

10. Offbeat

What are you doing about the accommodation? I found this page where they have listed apartments and shared accommodation. That seems very reasonable, about 200 Euros for 6 nighs per person. I will probably call them and find more.

Smejmoon likes this.
  11. Smejmoon

Sharing very expensive hotel room.

12. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

I wanted to go to Sibenik since 2013 but every year something has come up that has prevented me from going.

In any case, Slovakia is well represented there and i will likely photoshop myself in photos to make myself feel better.

13. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I'm seeing a lot of buzz on Facebook. If I can clear my schedule, I might check it out. I've heard great things about Croatia in general and always wanted to visit.

14. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Not this year. Decided to go to Berlin instead. Guess I don't like the choice between staying at an expensive resort and having a long commute from town. Perhaps next year.

15. Offbeat

You don't have to stay at an expensive resort. There are apartments available right off the beach from 2 people to 6 people, etc. They run about 200 euros for six days per person and you can decide if you want a small apartment or a large one (depending on how many people you will share it with). At least that is what I understand.

SnowDancer likes this.
  16. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Good to know for next year. I thought the only options besides the resort were in town, several miles away.

17. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

You have town or the villages around. The downside is that you have to go there by taxi. If you are many sharing the taxi it's will be very cheap if not it can be annoying but still cheaper then the resort.
    You could walk but it's like 30 something degrees and with no shade and not a short walk, at night there is no light on the road at all. If you want go back in the early morning taxis are all taken and you have to wait for a while and sometimes the taxi drivers just drop a crazy random prices. There is a bus that goes to town but just few time a day.
    But hey first world problems after all, having to take a taxi to party :D
    Here is a map to have a better idea.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=43.716152962124106,15.895733253845265&z=14

Smejmoon and SnowDancer like this.
  18. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

19. Offbeat

What I am finding is that people are sharing apartments within a few km radius (walking distance) from the resort where the even is being held. The typical cost for 6 nights is about 200 euros to 300 euros per person.

20. Offbeat

I am all booked! The accommodation worked out to about $350 dollars for 7 days. Sharing a cottage on the beach few minutes from resort with a bunch of people!

On the return I have almost 18 hour layover in Paris. Is there good salsa there on Monday night?

The next trip will probably be Berlin and then Warsaw. Unless something else catches my eye.

SnowDancer likes this.