Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. LarsM

LarsM Sonero

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

So far, the best flights I've seen are from PDX to Split using Condor and Croatia Airlines. RyanAir flies to Zadar, but from smaller airports that are a pain to get to.

I think Croatia Airlines flies from Frankfurt, so I'm going to look for other flights to there. I'd like to go from LA after visiting my family.

3. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Condor was horrible IMO, would not fly again unless it saved 500 bucks at minimum. Horrible seats.

4. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

Nice congress. Not too big so you can meet people. The resort is outside the city of Sibenik and it can be annoying to go back and forth from the festival to where you stay. The taxi can be very hard to deal with specialy in the early morning.
    It has in my opinion one of the best spotfor a dancefloor: right on the beach. The feeling of dancing when the sun rise with some cool air is amazing.
    The best way to go there is to fly to split and then take a cab to Sibenik. They organise some carpooling on facebook as a lot of people arrive at the same time.

Have fun! ;)

SnowDancer likes this.
  5. SnowDancer

So is it best to stay at the resort? Is it ever quiet enough to sleep there? :)

6. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

It depends of your budget. It's expensive during the festival and maybe already fully booked. A lot of people leave in town or the small villages around and even including the taxi 4 times a day, it's still cheaper.
    If you are on your own you might find yourself a bit isolated outside. Nothing happens in town like in Rovinj (except one concert). It can be frustrating to wait for a taxi 30 min when people are having breakfast, sleeping or chilling on the beach.
    The resort is huge, not only used by salsa people. 5 or 6 hotels, a camping with mobile homes, an aqua park, a long beach with spots for boats, many restaurants, swimming pools everywhere, it's like a village. The party spot is on the beach so you shouldn't here much if nothing from your room. It takes time to walk from one end to the other.
    I also recommend a trip to Krka national park and waterfall for a day. You'll certainly find people wishing to do the trip with you and share the transport.

SnowDancer likes this.
  7. SnowDancer

I see. Yes, some of the hotel choices are already booked up, and they're all fairly expensive, around $200/day. Starting to think this might not be worth it, especially since I would be there by myself (and don't really fit in with the 20-something spring-break crowd) and it doesn't look like a big SF crowd is going.

Still thinking of Vama Veche again: Easier to get to, cool location, and reasonable costs. Though not as strong an instructor lineup. And too much kizomba!:rolleyes:

8. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Judging from the pictures it was late 30's crowd previous years. What makes you think this year will be different?

9. SnowDancer

Really? Maybe I'm so old that late-30's people look like kids! :D

Actually, there aren't many videos that show the regular socials, while there are lots with people partying at the pool or beach.

10. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

I flew Condor (I think...) from Cuba to Europe a couple years ago and don't recall any seat issues -- but then again, I am only 5'4'' tall so I rarely have seat space issues :)
    And yes, the savings were pretty big.

11. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Many people in salsa scene look much younger. It's probably self selection and exercise, both. But Šibenik is so expensive there will be very few students for sure:)

12. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Yep, The beach festivals in Croatia keep getting more expensive so I doubt many students will attend

13. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

I've posted a video of a social in my previous post. It's the morning but the night is basically the same with more people. The kizomba/bachata room is seperated so if you don't like it you won't have to hear it.
    It's not a springbreak crowd, just the usual salsa crowd with summer clothes. Some people come with kids and babies (not at night though). On the video I posted (found randomly) the majority of people you see dancing,sitting or standing are people I see in all the congresses or my local scene. The last day pool party the played too much party music in my opinion if you want a downside.
    The problem of those Croatian festivals advertising, is that they always show the same 10 girls in bikini, the same 10 guys doing dumb faces or jumping in pools, etc. They don't even use latin music to illustrate but techno.That gives the impression that it's all about drinking, meeting the opposite sex and pool. Of course it's summer so a bit of that but not only.
    Here is another video of the afternoon social, you will see that people are from all ages, colors, body shapes... I was there (maybe even somewhere in the video)and it's more what i experienced.

I have no interest or share in the festival but just don't want to mislead you by my previous post. I won't even go this year. I 'll be in Rovinj the week before.
    I haven't been to vama veche but from what I've heard it won't be really different.

SnowDancer likes this.
  14. Sabrosura

Dance level in both videos looks "below-average"...

15. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

It seems that you are from New-York. I guess the level is very high over there.
    From what I remember Sibenik was one of the highest level I saw in a congress. That's one of the reason why some people prefer to skip Rovinj and go to that one.
    The level in the video is fine for me especially in the one people dance barefoot or in flip flop in a hot summer day but I'm not picky I reckon after few hours sleep.
    The chacha one is fine for me as well for a 6.30 in the morning dance.
    The crowd is a small concentration of people you will see in Warsaw, London, Berlin, Amsterdam and other big congress

16. Sabrosura

Didn't mean that to sound condescending--I've been to a couple European congresses and the dancing was great, and it also looks great in the videos I have seen from Paris this year, etc. These videos just kind of stood out, so seems that perhaps this congress is just more about 'fun in the sun' and less about hardcore dancing (nothing wrong with that, people have different priorities), therefore perhaps does not attract the better dancers I have seen at other Euro congresses.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  17. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Can you post any "average" video from similar context? :D

18. Sabrosura

This is the best I can do in 5 minutes (exam tomorrow). My searches for beach festivals all turned up videos similar to the ones already posted, so here is a Paris video that shows more than just the front couple.

19. LarsM

LarsM Sonero

The best dancers in my home city have gone to this festival many years in a row. Partly due to the friendly atmosphere, but these guys wouldn't go unless the dancing was pretty stellar as well! I went last year, and cough...was kinda scared about the level (having danced linear for 1.5 years at the time).

The first vid is 20 secs at 6:30 AM on the last night of the festival, so I can understand that people aren't at their best :)

Anyway, unless you're an outgoing type of personality I probably wouldn't recommend going here solo, as the huge resort sort of encourages cliques. The dancing area is very small compared to bigger festivals though, so much easier to get to know people, especially at the daytime dancing.

Also Rodrigo Cortzar will be there Sabs!

UchimaSalsa and Sabrosura like this.
  20. Sabrosura

Appreciate the heads-up :) But I'll be in Cuba in July :)