Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Luke Groundwalker

Luke Groundwalker Son Montuno

El Sol Salsa Festival
    Berlin Salsa Congress

kbitten likes this.
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

That's probably because you bought an early bird pass from a friend who is not going ? :)

The party pass for three nights cost me about 127 eu. !!

Can't recall a more expensive party pass. The NYC last year was $120 at the door, for three nights I think.

3. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Close! She got a hotel package with two passes, and is going with her brother, a non-dancer.

4. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Just booked my room for the DC Capital Congress in June :dancingbanana:
    Last time I went was 3 years ago so I'm really excited to go again, to me it has the best DJs of all congresses I have been to in the US, and the dancers are also awesome :)

kbitten and SnowDancer like this.
  5. Offbeat

I will skip DC. I think I am shifting my allegiance to European circuit :D

Last year, everything was good at DC but my dance experience was very underwhelming - too many beginners and very few good followers and extremely small size of the dance floor. And the warriors lost those last two final games when I was there!

After reading all the reviews, my expectations were much greater of DC. From leader's perspective, the level of followers is the sole reason I am not entertaining the idea of making a return visit.

6. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

The buzz about this event seems to be picking up. The lineup looks stellar

http://www.newyorksalsabachata.com/artists.html

The only thing I don't see are bands, but the instructor lineup is one of the best I've seen in the USA this year. For a first year event, it's pretty impressive. Live music would take it to the next level.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  7. Offbeat

Instructor line up can only excite people who are are visiting from a place where they don't have any opportunity for quality high level instructors. And then you want to attend the classes at the congress. Classes at congress (due to over crowding or other factors), aren't that great of an experience at learning. Only positive aspect of instructor lineup is if you want to take private lessons with a particular instructor.

Otherwise impressive lineup of instructors is not a recipe for a good congress experience!

Sabrosura likes this.
  8. SnowDancer

True in some cases, but it depends a lot on the attendance, and the quality of the students. Nothing worse than going to one of Eddie Torres' footwork classes and standing 100 yards away with what seems like 500 tall people in front! Then there are the partner workshops where the instructor doesn't rotate, and I either don't have a partner, or end up with someone who's a complete novice.

But I've had lots of good workshops at smaller festivals, like Big Apple several years ago; and last year's Amsterdam one was good too. But Warsaw was not so good...

9. Offbeat

You took workshops at Warsaw ? You should come down to SF on the weekends we have workshops with some of the instructors that are in demand around the world. Last weekend there was a two day workshop with Alien Ramez (is that how you spell her name?). Adolfo is on schedule sometime in Sep. Eddi Jr was here last month I think and Sekou Miller as well. Karel Flores and Magna have been doing workshops here twice I think. FM has been twice too. I think roughly every two months there is a workshop with some celebrity instructor locally. It isn't too crowded and you get about 8 hours of workshop over two days.

kbitten and SnowDancer like this.
  10. Sabrosura

Lol you managed to butcher three instructor names in one post :p :D

Alien Ramirez, Sekou McMiller, Eddie Jr.

11. Sabrosura

It sounds like maybe it's one of those congresses/places with different lead/follow experiences, the leads I encountered at the DC congress were pretty awesome :)

But hey I'll see you on the European circuit starting this fall ;)

SnowDancer likes this.
  12. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

How does this work anyway? Arent they busy doing workshops and sleeping? where does it happen, in a hotelroom? how do you book them? I really wonder because whe workshop format just doesnt do it for me....

13. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

Answer to all of those are 'it depends'. They usually have some time besides classes, shows etc.

14. SnowDancer

Thinking about Summer Beach Splash in Sibelnik, Croatia. But searching for flights is a pain!

15. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

In the lobby during the day, typically. Somewhere quiet-ish.

16. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

I will be going to the LA Salsa Congress in late May. :) The Bachata summer one in LA and perhaps the one in Vegas in July.

17. Offbeat

That's my next target. Several people have recommended it. May 4th to 7th, right?

SnowDancer likes this.
  18. SnowDancer

If it's May, we're in trouble.:) July, and I think it has pre-parties the week before. I have gotten a little frustrated looking for ways to get there, though.

Sabrosura likes this.
  19. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

http://salsabeachsplash.com/

July 4th - 9th. Absolutely recommended. The hotels at the resort are fairly expensive, though recommended depending on how much you plan to be at the grounds during the day. The hot spot - daytime dancing - has a very relaxed atmosphere. And chilling at the beaches is obv a plus. If you're taking workshops, getting to the resort and back is a bit of a hassle. There were ~15-20 from my city who went last year, and the people who stayed off grounds weren't too thrilled about their choice.

And yeah, (very good) pre-parties Tue-Thur.

20. Offbeat

Oops I meant July! :D

What is best way to get there. I haven't started looking yet. In Europe I often find that flying the cheaper airlines from one of the European city works well. But you do have to read their baggage policy.