Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. bolivicano

bolivicano Nuevo Ritmo

I'll be going to Paris Salsa Congress this year! First time dancing in Europe! Super excited!

2. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

You are alive ? :)

Yes, an European congress experience is something you shouldn't miss out on :)

thepresenceon2 likes this.
  3. somberrareo

somberrareo Changui

is the Rovinj Salsa festival in Croatia very sexual? my gf has been every year and had a fling (with a guy who had a gf) when we weren't together and says that there are a lot of horny people at the congress. Are there lots of hook ups going on?

4. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

Let's be honest. There is clearly a flirty, sexy, romantic (you name it) atmosphere (sean, sun, the city itself, dance, pool parties, swim suits, mojitos...), there are clearly hook ups, romance, love stories...
    But no it's not sexual, people who find it sexual are the ones making it sexual. There is no pressure from organisers or attendees. You can spend two weeks just dancing and not being intimate with anyone if you want.
    I think there are a lot of fantasies and rumors about this festival. :meh:
    But you are with someone so you are not concerned, no?
    I made a review lat year
    http://www.salsaforums.com/threads/congress-festival-reviews.28683/#post-315057
    You will maybe find more using the search function

Smejmoon likes this.
  5. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

To me Rovinj seems more like family festival, summer holiday.

6. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Thinking about summer, there's Rovinj, and also Puerto Rico. I found one fairly good review on PR from a couple years ago. Has anyone here gone? Sounds like the focus there is on live music, which is definitely appealing.

7. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

I've been to PR and mentioned it earlier in this thread.

8. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

I went to the PR congress in 2014. Yep, awesome live music, still remember Sonora Poncena's awesome concert :)

azana and SnowDancer like this.
  9. Raym

Raym Changui

Anyone going to the moscow festival on 14th of April?

10. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

I wanted to go, but they moved it from June last year to April this year...bad timing for me. On top of that Paris is a week after.
    Judging by my facebook feed and few feedbacks I've heard, it's a kind of dance paradise for leads.
    And it's also a nice oportunity to dance with people you don't meet at other congresses.

11. hiken2367

hiken2367 Changui

I will be going to Moscow. I don't know what to expect apart from it being a paradise for leads, which of course I'll be looking forward to!

SnowDancer likes this.
  12. jaybean2000

jaybean2000 Changui

I will arrive for the New York salsa and bachata festival in May. Is my first time to dance in New York. But I don't find much information on this festival. Is good?

13. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I believe this is the first year for that event. Don't worry, there will be plenty of dancing opportunities in NYC during that time of year. In addition to the event you mentioned and all the regular and seasonal salsa events, there is also the CT Salsa Festival close by so you have plenty of options. Check SALSANEWYORK.COM. Hope this helps.

https://www.ctsalsafest.com/

http://www.salsanewyork.com/calendar.htm

jaybean2000 likes this.
  14. SnowDancer

Paris, it is.

15. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

Huntsville in 2 days. Yay!

16. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Moscow Salsa & Kizomba Festival :)

17. SnowDancer

I'm on the fence whether to go to the Rose City Congress tonight. And it starts in less than 2 hours! :)

If I don't go, I'll feel like a snob, since I've been going to all these international festivals. Yet, driving through the rain, finding parking, then paying $40 for DJ music just to dance with the same people I see all the time, and watch a bunch of dreary performances....

azana likes this.
  18. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

I feel your pain in Israel too, except that the entrance is usually double!

19. SnowDancer

Really? For one night? I got a full pass to the Paris Congress for 150 eu.

Anyway, here I am at home. :)

20. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm feeling exactly the same way about the Melbourne Latin Festival, which is on this weekend at a venue less than ten minutes drive from where I live. I was never going to bother with the performances - the line up was indeed mostly "dreary", with the only drawcard of note Jaime Jesus (pause while Frankie Martinez fans gasp in horror at my comment :D - hey, I've seen him a few times and danced with him) - but still factored in the cost of a party one night. I certainly agree with and understand the pricing - it isn't cheap to stage a festival and the organiser, Natalie, had to do it on her own this year with a toddler in tow as her sister was unwell. However, I didn't want to pay $30 to sit and wait for the inevitably over time performances to finish and then risk not having a good night, as dancers stuck to city and school based cliques or gravitated toward younger and prettier follows. That being said, I could well have had a decent night, and have a nice new white dress (you always wear white on the Sunday night). Also, there is no designated car park at the venue, only limited street parking, and despite nearby tram and train stops, the public transport here is unreliable and there are few services (how I miss Japan :) ). It's raining heavily here, too, although that doesn't concern me too much. I don't have to worry about being perceived as a snob, as no one will notice if I'm there or not, and hey, I am a snob anyway :). And I'm pushing through a burial mound of grading I want to get on top of (why did I choose a career with 24/7 work demands! :)) So I couldn't be bothered. It would be nice to get out, to listen to salsa music and interact with other humans, but...

SnowDancer likes this.