Which Salsa Congresses Or Major Events Do You Plan To Attend in 2017?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

Given the recent trend in congresses that sounds downright discouraging.

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

What was bad about it? I've thought about going.

3. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

def going do both..or milan / mambocity or paris/mambocity..

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  4. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

if one can understand your english kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk glad you're back!!!

5. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

How is mambo city? a friend of mine went there like 10 years ago, back then it was Cuban/Linear style.... is it still a mixed festival?

6. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

It's style mixed with 4 dancefloors: crosbody, cuban, kixomba, bachata. Parties go until 5 or 6 in the morning which is rare for London.
    The lead/follow ratio is balanced.
    The main issue is the crossbody dancefloor being too small for this crowd. Every inch is taken a you can't really avoid collisions with people.
    Another issue is that it takes place in the middle of nowhere near Heathrow airport. It's not the best spot if you are planning some sight seeing. Not the best spot either for people who leave in London as it means long commute.

Dissonant Harmony and Smejmoon like this.
  7. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

thanks
    been to london twice already, sightseeing is not a priority :)

8. akdancer

akdancer Changui

I'm thinking of going to the 2017 world congress in Puerto Rico, but I'm puzzled by the lack of reviews/input about it here. Was searching around trying to get a feel for whether the dancers might be a more technically-oriented crowd, which I'm gathering is typical in congresses(?), a less-flashy "let's move our bodies because the music tells us to" crowd, which is my preference. I get plenty of threads mentioning Puerto Rico briefly when I search, but nothing about the congress itself. o_O

9. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

It's supposed to be 45-60 minutes from London by the tube which isn't too bad. Probably wouldn't want to go back and forth multiple times a day though.

10. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Here’s a link to a review of the 2013 congress, pretty detailed. http://londonsalsagirl.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/on-el-congreso-mundial-de-la-salsa-aka.html My husband and I attended in 2010 and we had a great time, also my memories are pretty similar to the review. If it hasn’t changed much since then I think the dancing would be to your preference, there was a mix of everything so you're bound to find dancers you like. Live music is big there, of course, and it plays a bigger part than at other congresses, with many attendees coming for the music. I remember that during the live music everyone was crammed in front of the band, basically people were watching a concert more than dancing. They’re also big on competitions, but those happen during the day. If you’re considering it, I recommend that you go, there are many other things to see/do in PR, and also music and dancing outside the congress. La Placita de Santurce is a must! You can easily make a vacation out of it, and even if the congress turns out not to your liking (I doubt it) you’ll still have some great memories.

SnowDancer likes this.
  11. akdancer

akdancer Changui

That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for, and it does sound like my scene... thank you! I just want happy people + music + dancing soup. Do you know where to get hooked in with the dance evenings after the competition...? Not clear if they're through the congress or done independently around town, and you just have to meet people in the know?

12. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Yes, like with most congresses, the social dancing at night is part of the congress program and done at the same venue/hotel, after the shows. If I remember correctly, during the week preceding the congress there were other concerts/dancing at other venues but still associated with the congress, you'll just have to look at the program. Plus, there are the local, regular music and dance events, not associated with the congress, for which I'm pretty sure there's info on this forum.

akdancer likes this.
  13. Mambo Maniac

Mambo Maniac Changui

Is anyone going to the Frankfurt Salsa Festival in March?

14. Joco

Joco Changui

All booked for the Scottish Salsa Congress (Edinburgh, 27th-30th Jan).
    I went to it a couple of years ago, and I liked it. The level was not super high, but the music was good, and the people were very very friendly. I wanted a nice relaxed congress to start off the year with :)

Anyone else going perhaps?

15. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

Ill attend for sure
    Zürich
    mambo City London
    warsaw el sol

maybe
    benidorm (spain)

16. Hexlibris

Hexlibris Sonero

Paris for sure (duhh...)
    And some of us are talking about going to croatia (splash)

For Paris ill start a thread sooner or later so that we can organize something (dinner, drinks, whatever)

17. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Hexlibris likes this.
  18. Hexlibris

Hexlibris Sonero

19. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

Looks like I'm going to Rocket City Latin Festival in March in Huntsville, AL. Yay!!

20. Peason

Peason Son

Attached Files: