Where to dance in Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Member Reviews' started by Brooklyn.girl, Oct 20, 2008.

1. GinaN

GinaN Changui

Hi Enid,

My husband and I will be in PR from 6/7 through 6/10 - we'll be in the Rincon and Condado areas...any recommendations of where to go?

Thanks so much!

2. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

Updated List December 2013
    I will be adding addresses for those interested soon
    El calendario de las "noches de salsa" en el area metropolitana de San Juan.

LUNES- Mondays
    Yerbabuena (Condado) latin jazz en vivo

MARTES: Tuesdays
    Red Line (Hato Rey)

MIÉRCOLES- Wednesdays
    Nuyorican Cafè (Viejo San Juan)
    Yuka (Hato Rey)
    El Barril (Condado) algunos miércoles

JUEVES- Thursdays
    Placita de Santurce (Santurce) Varios lugares - various places: this is a great hangout.
    U Spot (Carolina)
    Logan’s (Rio Piedras)
    Coabey (Puerto Nuevo)
    Ziva (ex Konga) (Hato Rey)

VIERNES- fridays
    Placita de Santurce (Santurce) Varios lugares - one of my favorites hangouts
    Picante (Hotel Courtjard by Marriot - Isla Verde)
    Coabey (Puerto Nuevo)
    Balcon del Zumbador (Piñones)
    Barril de Jun (Rio Grande)
    Main Liquor Sport Bar (Bajamon)

SABADO saturdays
    Placita de Santurce (Santurce) Varios lugares
    Marullo Bar (Santurce)
    Lobby Hotel San Juan (Isla Verde)
    Red Coral @ Hotel Marriott (Condado)
    Paradise (Bayamón)

DOMINGO:- Sundays
    Placita de Santurce (Santurce) Varios lugares
    La Gran Parchita (Bayamon)

Brooklyn.girl likes this.
  3. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

Sabrosura, GinaN and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  4. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Like!!! Pretty compehensive!!! La placita is cool, heard good things about Courtyard Marriot!!!

EMOYENO likes this.
  5. GinaN

GinaN Changui

Thanks so much for this update!

EMOYENO likes this.
  6. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

EMOYENO likes this.
  7. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

YES Sabrosura use this as reference. It's very very reliable.
    Im gald everyone likes them.
    Most of these places, are really well established hangouts (even when I lived in PR).
    La Placita--- best day to visit is Friday's -- its iconic ;-)
    Red Line -- new place, heard good reviews from friends
    USpot --- new spot in Carlina (East of San Juan, about 20 minute drive), very local. I know the owner. Safe too.

8. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

let me add....
    I will always send people to dance at the Marriott Courtyard in Isla Verde (the hotel right after the Ritz). It's very safe, people are friendly & ITS FREEEE. People usually dress a little upscale. This is my place to go when I go to PR for vacation.

9. Fabrice

Fabrice Changui

Helly i am a french Salsa dancer (my full name is Fabrice Hatem). I am presently doing some research on the variousways of dancing and practicing salsa around the world. I would like to konw which type of salsa is more commonly practised in puerto Rico. Nex Yrok style ? cuban Style ? others ? thank in advance for your help.

10. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

I suspect they mostly dance puerto rican style but I've never been there so I think others can give more info.

11. RICKJDLT

RICKJDLT Descarga

Hate to break the bad news but PR sucks now. I was there in 1981 & the again in 1995 and even during that time period it had become a prostitute for dollar bills.

12. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

This list needs to be updated.
    I have to do some research and will post soon.

Smejmoon and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  13. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

Can't believe no one has posted this. On Facebook, there is a group called "Cambio en Clave." They offer classes and such, but every single day except Mondays, they post what venues will have Salsa, whether live or DJ. It's the best group I've ever seen in any city because they give you a daily reminder, culling every venue into one simple list. Though PR is a tiny island, this effort is expansive and deeply appreciated... check them out, they're exactly what you're looking for.

14. salsera_alemana

salsera_alemana Nuevo Ritmo

Thanks for this tip, elanimal. A while ago I liked that page on Facebook and now I am constantly informed. It is a great FB page!

Hubby and I spent the first two January weeks in Puerto Rico and we had an absolute blast!!!
    We went to a free Victor Manuelle concert in his hometown of Isabela, and danced a whole Sunday afternoon at an outdoor fiesta at a hacienda in the countryside to Hector Tricoche, Manolo Lezcano, Giro Lopez and Rafy Santana, also for free!

The Latin Roots in Old San Juan is a great salsa club! They play 100% great PR salsa and cha cha. Most nights of the week they have a live band. There are lots of single people of all ages, young and old. We danced to the Pete Perignon orquestra and to Herman Olivera (singer of Eddie Palmieri) there. It was phantastic!
    There is a parking garage in the same building. If you have the club stamp your parking ticket, the parking costs only $7 dollar for the night.

On weekends they always have salsa dancing at La Placita in Santurce. But we were told that it is hard to find a parking there and the area is not great. So as a single person I would probably not recommend this. Old San Juan is definitely safer.

On Friday nights they have Abran Paso playing - and normally a guest singer - in the lobby at the Intercontinental Hotel in Isla Verde. I also enjoyed that but it is more for couples. Singles will not enjoy it as much because of lack of dance partners, I believe.

Marcos, DJ Yuca, Nuyorican and 2 others like this.