when to compete?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by msp, Oct 26, 2010.

1. msp

msp Changui

been taking private lessons for one week, had a fair amount of one on one practice with their salsa experts, and today my intstructor threw at me the samba, cha-cha, and rumba steps. i picked up the basics, she complimented my natural leading technique, and told me i was a talented dancer. it was great to hear, and then she said I would probably really enjoy competing and that there was an upcoming competition (december 4th?) that she'd like to see me in.

What?! I feel like very new to this, I've had 4 private lessons total, a few group classes, and have been dancing every day a lot in my own time and I really really enjoy it (see my other thread for learning blog) but I just don't know what to think about her competition idea.

She said I'm months ahead of where I *should* be and complimented my practicing and seemed pretty serious.

What do ya'll think?

2. wildbill20056

wildbill20056 Sabor Ambassador

It depends on the level of the competition. If this is a beginner's competition, go for it.

IF, however, it's all all comers I advise you strongly to just say no.

3. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

I think you have a ballroom salsa teacher and you should change teachers jajaja

terence - dont kill me please

4. msp

msp Changui

^^whatchu mean?

5. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

If it's a jack-and-jill, and they have the more advanced dancers in a separate class, go for it. Those are fun and you don't need to prepare. If it's the kind where you have a partner, a choreography, and a goofy costume... :)

6. msp

msp Changui

i'll get more details on thursday

7. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

As you are asking the question I would guess you are not opposed to the idea of entering a competition at some point in time. The dances you mentioned are part of the Latin Ballroom competition line up and your teacher thinks you may be good enough to not make a fool of yourself. If you feel like spending the money go for it. Many ballroom competitions are really just exhibitions because often there aren't enough competitors in a particular category to have elimination rounds.
    If you get really serious about this later on be prepared to spend a lot (A LOT) of money. If you are also into salsa dancing and would rather focus on that...skip it.

8. msp

msp Changui

looks like sound advice, thank you!

9. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

you can compete whenever.. for the sake of competing .... you want to win in a real competition?.... then you need a heck more that a week of private lessons... you want to be a champion, 100,000US dollars in instruction and 10,000 hours of practice, and some serious talent... and you may.. only may have a chance to become a champion. I am not joking., I am simple putting things in perspective for you.

schools make their money from competitions and lessons, and that is their right, that is their business, as much as your cell phone company would like to sell your their most expensive plan because you are their most valuable client and this is the best offer. If you wish to buy it, then by all means buy it. But know what you are buying.

"she complimented my natural leading technique, and told me i was a talented dancer"

after only a week pf privates? well here is your answer:

and then she said I would probably really enjoy competing and that there was an upcoming competition (december 4th?) that she'd like to see me in.

10. chr

chr Shine Officer

Funny talk:
    ted.com /talks/tim_ferriss_smash_fear_learn_anything.html

Watch from around 10:30...

11. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

also if that means you get free ballroom training from your teacher - go for it! :)

12. Soplo

Soplo Banned

Yeah, looks like an upsell. I don't want to knock your dancing because in all likelihood she is telling you the truth. But, at the end of the day, she wants students that do competitions because that's where the money is at. Realize this and make the calculations because these ballroom events can be very expensive (private lessons, entrance fees for you and often the teacher, travel fees for you and often the teacher, fees for getting your loved ones in to watch you, performance costume, video fee, and on and on....). It can add up so do take a sober look at it and see if you want to do this. It's a fun experience and may be worthwhile as a learning tool but it's not really intended to be a competition for competition sake and she'd basically compete with anyone provided they pay. The whole ProAm thing is basically this.

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I assume (based on your mention of samba, rumba, etc. as well as the amount of one-on-one tuition) that you are taking lessons at a ballroom dance school, right? The ballroom/dancesport world operates very differently from the salsa scene, and competitions are often an integral part of ballroom dancing. There are many levels for amateurs to compete at, starting from the beginners level. There's also an option of competing with your teacher as your partner in pro/am comps. The ballroom business model is very much based on comps, so it's not at all a surprise that promising newcomers are encouraged to start competing very early on.

You may want to post your question on www.dance-forums.com, which has a very active ballroom forum and many members with competitive ballroom/dancesport experience. You'd probably get better advice there, as most of the members of Salsa Forums take lessons at salsa-only schools and salsa clubs, where things are quite different. Most of us have never competed in our salsa lives (me included).