What to do when you stop enjoying the dance?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by simbaaa, May 8, 2017.

1. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Incidentally every salsa instructor, teacher, promoter, DJ and musician enforces their music on others.

Marcos and elanimal like this.
  2. Marcos

Marcos Son

Did you get confused WRT Juju Orchestra? that's not salsa at all.

Your musical preferences (Cuban leaning) and dance style preferences (NY style leaning) are cruzao, so of course you're not going to like the DJs and feel frustrated with the music. My ethnicity and salsa tastes are cruzao, but at least the music and dance style preference are synchronized to each other. But because I have a job that requires a lot of travel, my investment in learning multiple styles has paid off.

You sound like another perfect candidate for a multi-styled dancer, so that way you can get your Cuban fix. London is big enough that there are probably a decent number of multi-styled dancers as well that you might be able to meet and socialize with.

wol, DJ Yuca and Smejmoon like this.
  3. Marcos

Marcos Son

WTH is Westernized salsa? What are the differences between Westernized and non-Westernized. And please note that whether Latin America is part of the west is a highly debated subject that will not be resolved in a salsaforums.com thread.

4. Marcos

Marcos Son

Where in Israel is the mystical city with all this variety of dancing? I am so jealous.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  5. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

I'm not sure where you go out in London but you should find some parties or DJ's you like.
    After listening to your first music selection, I think you like a mix of music. I would recommend parties like salsa fusion, el bembe, el grande, viva la revolution, bar salsa on Thursday, tito's on Friday if you haven't tried this places before. People there dance cross body, cuba, colombian or a mix of every thing. This were you will see more latin american people as well.
    I guess you usually go to SOS, pexava....
    Which party do you go to which is on2 dominant apart from TNT out of curiosity?

Also I never understood this mindset (I don't know if you have it) of "it's all about the follower" or the "lady", you have to make her look good blabla. What about yourself?
    If you don't enjoy you'll end up dancing like a robot. In my opinion it's 50/50, give and receive. Both partners should enjoy the dance and feel good about it. I would say it's like sex where some peoples still think it's all about the man pleasure...no it's not

DJ Yuca, MrR and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  6. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Israel is comparable to the size of New Jersey.

Live anywhere near Tel Aviv, and you will be 30 mins max of driving away from socials, on a daily basis, and even have multiple choices.

I.E: On Wednesday there is Studio B in Tel Aviv (Multiple rooms: Cuban, LA, Bachata, Tango, Zouk Lambda, Kolombia, Hip Hop and Brazilian line dancing), Baila Salsa in Rehovot (I think it's its divided to 2: Cuban/LA and Bachata on that day) and Media Noche Rishton leZion in Rishon leZion (Just Cuban. Free entry)...

*And that's just within the 30-min-of-driving limit.

Marcos likes this.
  7. MrR

MrR Son

Take the "Salsa" you can learn at any festival or dance school in central/northern/eastern Europe or USA/Kanada. Be it linear or circular styles.
    Confront Latinos - experienced with "Salsa" but not influenced by these dance cultures - and try to dance with them.
    Then you know what "westernized" Salsa is.

(After you took part in the "Untrained Latinas" thread I would think you could work with the concept, that outside of the Latin world Salsa is danced vastly different to inside. But if you want to discuss that, make another thread.)

8. simbaaa

simbaaa Changui

Hey Uchima, my exact words were actually "Lately, I have been caring more about how we look to others, rather than how she feels;", and I've never had this mindset you speak of.

As for parties, I go to bar salsa on Monday, east putney incognito on Friday (or el grande once a month), and then whatever is on on Saturday. I take a studio class on Wednesday in YMCA in TCR, and on Tuesday and Sunday I just dance at home. On2 dominant are I Like it Like that, Mambocity at ULU and for example recent Salseology. They are a bit of a mix at the start of the night after the lesson, but pretty much on2 only after midnight.

I am not the biggest fan of SOS and El bembe, but I go occasionally when nothing else is on (like this week for example). I always go to Vinyl bar when they bring a live band in, and sometimes go Pexava on Thursday/Saturday. I will try to revisit salsafusion (I have been a few times at the early stages of my dance journey, but didn't form any opinion), and I haven't been to Titos, so I will check that out.

9. simbaaa

simbaaa Changui

The thing is I don't really want to dance Cuban at the moment. I start learning with Cuban, and then I tried a bit of cali, but after discovering crossbody, I completely switched over.

That song might not be salsa, but I find it awesome to dance salsa to, some other examples are:

Latin Cafe - Cuba Island (can't find on youtube, but it's on spotify or googleplay).

10. Marcos

Marcos Son

Yes I took part in that discussion, specifically saying that there was no excusing or sugar coating of Latinas who couldn't dance well. It was so ridiculous I had to specifically point out my own sister's issues as a follower, that it had been Latinos who had taught me to dance, and the fact that I had gone dancing all over USA, in Europe, Latin America, Asia, Australia, and the Middle East and had no problems there. But I guess in your world view Singapore is part of the west, while Puerto Rico is not. BTW, the Singaporeans would have done just fine at the clubs in Puerto Rico I frequented.

I can't work with your concept, I find it insulting to myself and all Latinos, and as I previously stated, since whether or not Latinamerica is part of the west is already a touchy subject you are not going to settle, I recommend you stop using it.

And if you mean to say that the average Puertorican girl off the street is not going to dance salsa at a high level, well I counterargue the average German girl will fall flat when dancing Waltz with a trained Chinese guy, and the average Tahitian girl will also fall flat to dancing traditional Tahitian dances when compared to a local Japanese girl I know that's teaches them where I live. That didn't mean those dances became Chinized or Japanized.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    wol, LarsM, azana and 2 others like this.
  11. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

As I tell my students, 50x50 is one quarter , so, %100 from each..

12. meatythud

meatythud Changui

Im also new to the scene. Although i know enough by now to keep things interesting, sometimes i like to just dance a close hold basic for the entire song. I love the basic step. It's a language all of its own.

13. Groove On

Groove On Sonero

I think the average guy just needs to learn to be more selfish with their body while dancing. There's an expectation from guys starting from a very young age that we need to bend over backwards to make sure women are ok.

Unfortunately in dancing, when you give it all away (posture, balance, poise) there's nothing left to follow. Take care of yourself first and foremost - so they have something to follow.

I suspect this is why many women make great leads, they're not constrained by this expectation on males.

Notice the OP's only goal was to give his follow the greatest dance ever - this means he was already giving away all his power - it's no surprise he's not having fun anymore.