What makes a favourite lead/follow?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsachinita, Apr 10, 2005.

1. What makes a favourite follower for me?

Simple, one I'm comfortable dancing with and she seems comfortable dancing with me, and we both enjoy ourselves.

This is often not the best dancer in the room.

Slowdance likes this.
  2. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Great point!

3. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

agree :)

Icandanceforever likes this.
  4. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

HAVE to add... not sure if I just realized this or if my dancing has progressed to now needing this... but I NEED high impact dances. I need to race through a dance. I need to fall out on the nearby carpet after the dance from having been worked out THAT much. Automatic fix.

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING

5. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Nice, guess that is why a good restaurant has key options to be able to cater to a both a variety of customers and each customer's given moods/craving.

*as a dancer, I see myself more as the fun, flirty, make you giggle lead but one key strength is that if I do not have it on the menu, I can refer you to the best place in town to get what you want (from knowing a lot of the good leads in town, I can introduce people :) :) :) )

This makes me feel incredibly good as I see two people having a great time!

6. Brownskin818

funny how it took me going a whiiiiiiiile without this sort of dance fix, then getting it again, to remember how much i needed it. te he. and woo hoo to having a dance card already lined up for whenever i visit down under!! same courtesy back atcha should u make it out to LA. :mrgreen:

7. cutesalsadoll

cutesalsadoll Son Montuno

I love feeling like I have just been on a ride.
    I love it when I get to laugh.
    I love when I feel like I'm gliding or floating.
    I love it when I am challenged but also can keep up and I feel the lead is creative.

If any one of these things happens even if it is not in the same dance then I'm happy.

8. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Brilliant and honoured to dance with you whenever and whereever :) :) :)

9. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

I love those too, but the real fix for me comes from a slooowww salsa with a butter-smooth musical leader. Haven't had one in a long time and gosh do I miss it. Something like "Cuando Hablan Las Miradas" or "Por Que Adore" with a certain few leaders can give me sweet dreams for weeks.

10. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

mmmmm, thank you for describing my dream :)

11. Brownskin818

i love those toooooooo. but those are some of my rarest dances! MANY salseros just cant dance slow. i totally understand though, b/c as i leader i cant either. but i do appreciate the opp when i get it as a follower.

inspiration for another thread i think...

12. pedro

pedro Changui

As long as the girl has a good attitude, I'm good. If she smiles/laughs even when we (I) mess up, she's a "keeper". Also, I really really like girl styling, no matter how simple it is. It just makes dancing that much more satisfying. =)

I personally don't care about a girl's level (not that I'm all that, anyway) as long as she has a good attitude. I could do basic, single turns and cross body leads all day as long as she's still smiling, haha.

13. Jambo

Jambo El Sabroso de Conguero

Hello and welcome Pedro :D

14. pedro

pedro Changui

Hello, and thanks! :)

15. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

nice post and welcome!

Completely agree :)

16. Jose Vaquero

Jose Vaquero Changui

My favorite follow?

It is a woman that I want to take into my arms and dance and make love a little bit on the dance floor and the reason, it don't matter. There are some women I do not want to take into my arms and maybe there can be many reason why not. But I like to try first!

17. My favorite follower is a lady who knows how to have fun, doesn't take things too seriously, knows how to move on their own, likes to play off what I am doing and can add a lot of style while still following what it is I am leading. There is a fine line between someone who styles gracefully and someone who is just showing off dancing with themselves.

Really I have different moods that require different kinds of followers but that is my favorite.

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Now that I'm dancing as a leader more, I'm beginning to appreciate this point greatly. The follower's attitude really makes a HUGE difference - much bigger than her skills, connection, etc. Yes it's lovely to dance with a follower who is skilled and has just the right tension, but the followers who look HAPPY when dancing with me are the ones I enjoy leading.

Before I started leading, I assumed that this applied to both leaders and followers equally. Now I feel there's a difference. When I'm following, I'm okay with leaders who look serious as long as their lead feels good; when leading, I find good followers who don't smile or make eye contact quite intimidating. Maybe it's because I'm not (yet :p) a competent leader, but I need to feel reassured that followers are happy to be dancing with me.

wol likes this.
  19. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

:Bump:

I was thinking about starting a thread where people can post top ten things followers/leaders do that you love but then realised that there is one already :)

Salsa Student likes this.
  20. RobotLion

RobotLion Rhythm Deputy

My favorite follows are the ones that buy me drinks...