What makes a favourite lead/follow?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsachinita, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

One thing I find important on leading is making sure it's light, generally using just the fingers when open or a light frame where the hands are lightly clasped whilst closed, and ensuring that moves are executed not just using the arms but using the whole body, and making the movements in the right direction at the exact right time.

It is hard to describe though it all just comes down to experience and being open to feedback. I always encourage my follower to let me know if there's anything they feel I could improve in my lead and I feel that that's important.

2. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Salsaonline,

I think what Peach means is that she the guy does not need to try to lead all the moves he knows (ie his dance resume) in the period (short) they dance together.

3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Human contact.

This means we are mutually responsive. It means I get something back, that I am dancing with that individual not her moves. It means when I throw something out there she picks it up and turns it round and throws it right back. It means she's throwing out stuff that I can pick up on and that inspires me to throw something back. It means she has picked up a shovel and we are both heaping coal into the furnace that powers the great steamship of salsa joy. Ok I got carried away at the end there.

4. Flex

Flex Nuevo Ritmo

A favourite follow ...

is delighted to see me
    pays attention to my lead when we dance
    stays on time
    enjoys herself as much as I do when we're dancing, and shows it
    is nice to hold and light to lead
    has a naughty streak and teases a bit
    laughs when I tease her a bit (not talking about verbal teasing here - but teasing within the dance: play.

Age immaterial, level anything from improver up, size and shape within a comfortable range to lead, dressed and shod for dancing

I'm happy to say that I have quite a few (see thread on salsa crushes ... 8) )

5. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

Love the metaphor :!: If only salsa had been around at the time of the Industrial Revolution :)

6. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

I just like a guy who's good at his chosen niche.

If it's a musical guy, I loooooooove when he can not only hit the breaks himself, but lead ME into hitting the breaks. Those are the best b/c I don't have to think about hijacking to get my hit in. :lol:

If it's a pattern guy, I looooooove when I get unfamiliar moves that I can follow as if I knew them already.

If it's a smooth guy, I just love being able to feel like I'm floating through the dance.

7. TheBear_CanDanceToo

TheBear_CanDanceToo Shine Officer

What about when it's a musically smooth guy with loads of fresh patterns that hit the breaks perfectly!?! 8)

8. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

I honestly can't say that I've had that. I see that perhaps my sights should be set across the pond. 8)

That would be totally interesting to experience though. My musical favorites tend to be hecka fun, high energy dancers. Hecka fun guys don't tend to be notably smooth.

9. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

great refreshing post :)

10. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

well said, I want to dance with your favourite dancers too :)

11. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Working at it, see you soon ;)

*actually interesting to see which category if any I would fall into. Funny to see what you feel are your strengths eg shines. leading. musicality.

vs what girls feel are your strengths (may be different)

:)

12. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Nice, may I add 'carries her own weight so well you would think that she created herself!'

13. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Now I am completely digging your shovel metaphor! Very nice :)

14. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

love it !!!

15. catarina

catarina Son Montuno

Wow, my favorite leads? Not just aspects of dancers that I appreciate? Hmmmm. My favorites are
    1. ones who dance to and with the music--they're on time, they are paying attention to the feeling of the song, they are also paying attention to the other dancers nearby and making sure i'm not doing a CBL with spins into another couple. I like to feel taken-care of while dancing, so that I'm not afraid for my life or the un-brokenness of my bones.
    2. I love it when the lead pays attention to me as we're both shining too...it shows that he's still dancing with me, and isn't too self-absorbed/showboating/self-conscious.
    3. One of my latest favorites to dance with had me doing combinations that would have made no sense, if i were to stop and think about each part of the move, but as sweavo mentioned, trusting him, i was able to really dance through a new-to-me combination. So I guess that combination of instilling trust in the follow, so I'm not second-guessing every cue, or moving fearfully through the slot. I love to realize mid-way through the dance that I'm no longer thinking, but am really attuned to the lead & the music, and am just dancing. I lose sense of whether I'm being watched or where the other couples are (see above), and just keep dancing.
    4. I appreciate a healthy dose of humility in a lead, which shows up not only in how they talk to me on or off the floor, but how they ask for a dance, respond to my asking him for a dance, and also in how they lead.
    5. Getting little bits of feedback in the dance is fun too--just those tiny comments, "wow!" "great" or "hey!" are so fun, and make me feel like I'm a special follow (I try to pretend they don't say those things to other follows, just me). I appreciate when they laugh or comment back to me if I make one of those comments, or point out that I got busted for mis-reading a cue, etc.
    6. He's taller than me & leads spins efficiently and clearly. (i'm tall, and find it's hard enough for guys to lead spins well, let alone lead a taller girl efficiently and clearly).

That's all I can think of for now. Put it all together, and what have you got? all of my favorite leads in some combination of these 6 things. ;)

16. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

nice

2 and 5 I like especially.

2 because a friend told me last week. Are you dancing with me (in a shine where I pulled off a triple spin yay ha ha). This week we danced and I shined with her and she thanked me after saying SOOO much better for her and with connection (even though no triple spin, probably only a single if that ha ha)

5. ABSOLUTELY!!! Cannot help myself sometimes I am just WOW, that was cool he he

17. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

^^^^^
    An entire page of your own replies! You are something else Rod but I love you still...in a SF sort of way. :)

What makes a favourite follow is a woman that...
    ...is a great listener - no matter how loud the music is, you never have to shout. (with your lead).
    ...makes you feel so comfortable with being yourself that she is the only person that exists when you dance and you want to please her with every movement.
    ...you don't need to dance with more than once or twice in the same night because you can ride the high until the next no matter how far off it is - you also want to bring something new the next time because she IS why you dance! (i.e. followers like her)

18. sagitta

sagitta Pattern Police

Very nice. Applies to me too.

19. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Very nice!!!

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I've been thinking about this question for a while, and I think what makes my favourite leaders is down to something quite simple: I like guys I feel I can follow well. The guys on my "favourite leaders" list are ones that make me feel I've had a good dance almost every time I dance with them. I'm not sure if these are guys who are good at adjusting to the way I follow, or if their lead simply matches my following habit - maybe a bit of both? If the leader is also playful and has a similar feel for music to mine, that's a bonus. But there are many great leaders who have a nice personality, a sense of fun and wonderful musicality but not on my fave list simply because I personally can't follow them well enough to feel good at the end of the song.