This song it's a bachata or a bolero? (Entre sabanas blancas de Leoni Torres y Omi Hernandez)

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Juanan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Bachata romantico . Again, the chord structure does not fit Bolero

timberamayor likes this.
  2. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I like this game:

1)

2)

3. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Nice. I generally don't like bachata because it always makes me think of whinging teenagers but JLG is always good and the second song is pretty even though I only understand Descemer :)

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  4. Dissonant Harmony

JLG leans towards the more Modern / Popp-ish / not-traditional Bachata. But in this case, it's more Bolero than it is Bachata.

The 2nd song is some sort of a Bolero-Pop Fusion...(and it odes have sections in spanish! :p)

5. canei

canei Son Montuno

I would definitely dance bolero to it above anything else. But I wonder if it is more specifically a bolero-son. this is where my musical knowledge is still incomplete

6. canei

canei Son Montuno

Pop bolero.

Just a bongo does not bachata make.

There's a Sneaky clave in there? And the second guitar is playing a pop rhythm, not a bachata one.

7. terence

LOL !!!

8. terence

Too much syncop. for a Bolero

9. terence

Easy..1.. Bolero...2.. bachata

10. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

So this is bolero as well ? Again I would dance bachata... JLG has a lot of them

11. Dissonant Harmony

I can understand you for not calling the 2nd one a Bolero,
    but it is not a Bachata either.

12. Dissonant Harmony

Bolero is one of the ancestors of Bachata. (The other two: Son and Merengue).

Bachata music usually has three "levels" of "energy":
    -Derecho: Lowest "level", and the may remind one of Bolero.
    -Majao (J is pronounced like an H): Medium. More emphasis on the percussion.
    -Mambo: The most energetic one: Feels more Merengue-ish. A good indication it is the mambo section would be the guira, playing more rapidly.

Here are some Bachatas: Compare them to the Bolero you've posted. (and while at it: play a game of guessing when the music switched "levels"). :)

---

Edit:

Found this:
    http://www.iasorecords.com/release/bachata-breakdown

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  13. terence

And Bolero is rooted by Danzon ( as is Mambo ). THe "Square " in dance has produced so much for one simple concept .

14. veldrane

veldrane Changui

wow one of my favourite song... Anyway when i was in santiago de cuba and took some lessons of Son this track was used for practicing very often.To be honest I cant imagine dance bachata on it