The truth about B.O.

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Flex, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Flex

Flex Nuevo Ritmo

How about this: I'm not supposed to put a live link here so Google for

'Stinky? It's not his sweat, it's your nose'

Apparently, '....When it comes to a man's body odor, the fragrance -- or stench -- is in the nose of the beholder, according to U.S. researchers who suggest a single gene may determine how people perceive body odor.....'

Maybe this is the answer to the chemistry question we've been debating?!

Soon we will be able to wear tiny devices that tell us when a partner's DNA is a good match for ours, shortening the route to romance.....

But I will still make sure I'm well showered and fragrant just in case....

2. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

according to this research i must be gay and not know about it cos some guys in the class smell big time :shock:

3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

hahah, your avatar's expression perfectly complements that post!

4. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

That's basically what your nose is doing already. I forget the technical acronym for it but you like the smell of partners who are a good fit for your DNA and don't like the smell of partners who would be a bad match as it would create more genetic abnormalities in your children.

5. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

Ha!

My partner says my fresh perspiration smells like celery…

Taken from shapefit.com/celery-pheromones.html
    Forget about all those pheromone sprays that are supposed to attract women. Researchers looking for a real turn-on tonic have focused on the potent male hormone androsterone, which is also found in celery. They believe androsterone is released through perspiration after eating. Your partner may not actually smell it on you, but because androsterone is thought to attract females, don't be surprised if she snuggles up real close. Even if you don't get lucky, keep in mind that you're eating a low-calorie, fiber-rich food that helps clean your teeth and freshen your breath. Not a bad deal either way.
    In a recent edition of Details magazine a story appeared which quotes a famous Swedish cook and author as reporting: "Celery is suspected to be somewhat sexually arousing." and goes on to speculate that the the cause is that: "Celery contains androsterone, a powerful hormone that researchers believe is released through sweat and which attracts females."
    Androsterone is in fact a metabolite (broken down result) of testosterone and therefore possibly a link in the chain of the break down of the androgen hormones into the well known sexually attractive andro pheromones, androstenone and androstenol. So, it is entirely possible that eating a lot of raw celery could increase your natural production of these pheromones.

6. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

dont chelsea football supporters have a song regarding celery and sexual gratification... :oops: :oops:

7. Flex

Flex Nuevo Ritmo

Interesting. I will take some celery with my water for the next few outings and report back.

8. Terremoto

Terremoto Pattern Police

Interesting topic - I have wondered how washing away our "body odor" every day affects chemistry. Seriously - if our noses are designd to help us find romance then isn't it a little tough if everyone washes away their scent every day. Just a random thought.

9. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious Shine Officer

Related joke:

—My dog has no nose.
    —How does he smell?
    —Awful.

10. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

The old ones are the best :D

11. lyndwode

lyndwode Tumbao

I am really sensitive to perfumes...Well, some anyway! I usually notice when one of my regular followers changes her fragrance...some just drive me nuts :shock: :D

About my personal smell...Óne day I sprayed some extra Perfume to cover um a long days work smell, when I didn't get time to go home and shower. Even then, I could only smell myself and not my perfume...so I was really embarassed the whole night. Then a good friend of mine insisted on hugging me good bye and said to me "wow, you really smell wonderful tonight!" I was like :?:

12. sagitta

sagitta Pattern Police

True...I"m really sensitive to smells. Sometimes I will think I am stinking and feel bad all day...and then I find out that I was the only one thinking so! :-( IF I feel that way about myself you can imagine how dancing with so many different people can be tough, at times.

13. memito

memito Son

Really? [crunch, crunch, crunch...]

14. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

I say I say I say

-- My Dog has no Dictionary
    -- How does he spell?
    -- Terrible.

15. Fabulous! Reminds me of the legend that was Tommy Cooper...

16. Ron Obvious

*Terribly*.

17. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Hello Suzy, are your parents in?
    They was in but they gone out.
    Suzy! Where's your grammar?
    In the front room, watching TV.

Ron, I can't work out whether you are being extremely subtle and I'm missing the joke, or whether you missed the joke :/

18. Ron Obvious

Yeah, I corrected that instinctively and didn't realise it was intentional and actually a joke. The punchline was different from my joke...

Apparently the owner also lacks a dictionary...

19. Ron Obvious

Incidentally, I was inspired by this thead and ate celery before last week's salsa outgoing. I did notice that some women very more friendly than usually. I'm not, however, sure if this is enough to establish a correlative connection, yet.

How's your take on the subject?

20. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

I’m no scientist but I think the same hormone is the one linked to baldness and I’ve been loosing my hair since I was 16 :)

I suspect I don’t need celery to produce the smell, I over produce as it is.

NB: - I’m not some kind of macho sexual predator BTW and smelling of a salad vegetable hasn’t made me especially successful with women. Apart from the one important lady in my life, who loves my organic odour :D