The Machito Thread

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by bailar y tocar, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

In addition to being one of the most awesome bands ever, the music isn't just covered exactly by other bands that came after them. There are a lot of tracks where some of the montunos and horn lines are strikingly familiar. Its as if the Machito library is one of the foundations of what salsa is today with snippets of lines appearing everywhere.

And Machito covered a lot of Jazz standards too.

Richie Blondet likes this.
  2. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

That's EXACTLY right.

And that sound was born in Harlem, USA.

groovetpt likes this.
  3. Richie Blondet

Well, it took me a few days to figure it out. I'm a bit of a tech dork. The music I have doesn't register as having a source or being available anywhere on-line so I guess that's why it wasn't reading it correctly and I couldn't find the file when I attempted to upload it as there's no 'title.'

But I finally figured it out [duh!] and I hope it works. Like I stated previously, the sound sucks. But it was recorded on an old reel-to-reel by the late great Ernie Ensley [RIP / "Ernie Lives!"]

Please let me know if you can hear the audio upon clicking the link. If it doesn't work, then it's back to horse buggies, Atari 5200 and candle stick power for me.

Machito and the Afro Cubans performing "live" at the Palladium Ballroom for the dancers of New York City circa 1958:

http://soundcloud.com/richard-blondet/07-live-at-palladium-ballroom

MacMoto, groovetpt and GroovyMambo like this.
  4. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Yeah it plays fine, Richie! Good job, bro. You're right, not good audio quality but damn if that isn't a magical swinging piece of music history. 1958, the year I was born. Man, I wish I could see the Palladium dancers -- trying to visualize that in my mind.

Dig how the energy level escalates into hyper-drive at 4:20. Locomotive is right.

Thank you for sharing.

5. groovetpt

6. Richie Blondet

You can hear a whistle being blown by someone at a certain point after the Saxophone section let's loose after the coro. The guy doing that was a staple or regular there named Americo. His wife was a regular attendee of Joe Conzo's seminar when it was at Hostos Community College...

One way is to get all them old timers under the same roof and have the Machito Orch. led by Mario Grillo play that tune. Which just reminded me... I've got to play the Mega Millions... :cool:

Other than that, this is the next best thing...

mambodancersatpalladium.jpg

That saxophone section man. That's what made that Orchestra famous. That's what makes that song go on fire. As soon as the chorus ends and those saxes start phrasing those 'guajeos'... oh man... forget it bro. There's nothing like that today. That's why I can tolerate the awful sound quality. Even with such mediocre sound, you can still capture the 'swing' from that band. They were just LOCKED in. They're the reason why I prefer the NY style bands over the ones from P.R. or Cuba. The musical arrangements have a wee bit too many notes for the brass section for my taste. Whereas you hear Machito's Orchestra and the brass and winds play and once the chorus/montuno section arrived, you don't hear from them. It's just the rhythm section. Which I love because then it sets it up for that musical tension and point where the band can explode with a flurry of monas and dynamite phrasing. Palmieri plays like that. It's one of the reason why I love listening to La Excelencia. They approach it the same way.

Again, apologies for the sound. But that's pretty much how most of Ernie's recordings sound like...

7. Richie Blondet

That sounds "live."

Was that at the Royal Roost club or maybe at Birdland?...

8. groovetpt

Live radio broadcast from Royal Roost. 1949. Mario Bauza and Howard McGee trumpet solos. Yeah, Mario could play some trumpet.

Royal Roost and Birdland might have been downtown, but what they were playing on those radio broadcasts was an extension of the Harlem after hours jams.

9. Richie Blondet

That's right brother. A lot of Jazz Journalists and Scholars tend to focus on 52nd Street as being some sort of geogrpahical laboratory for BeBop, but as so many of the pioneers have indicated and without those same scholars necessarily acknowledging it is that places like Minton's Playhouse, Small's Paradise, Connie's Inn, and other spots were the genesis of where the Bop language took place.

Speaking of Royal Roost, I recently discovered through a friend of mine named Warren Tesoro, who used to work at the now defunct Colony Records, that the Royal Roost was directly above Colony. I had no idea. Colony was on what? 49th Street, right? 48th? I mean talk about being in musical paradise. The "Latin Quarter" run by Lou Walters was on 48th & Broadway. China Doll and Havana Madrid on 51st & Broadway. Birdland, Roseland, La Bamba and so many other live music venues were on 52nd street. The Palladium Ballroom on 53rd street off Broadway. Imagine that today with those same artists? The landscape of popular culture would be a hell of a lot different...

10. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Its fun to discover the Afro-Cuban (and Afro-Brasilian or West African) rhythm layers mixed in to Machito's arrangements and compositions:

Carabunta (Elegua)
    Coisa Nova (Brasilian/ African high life)
    Love Chant (Could be Oshun based on title)
    Frenzy (West african, sounds a lot like mozambique which wasn't invented yet)
    Cabildo (Obatala)
    Bimbi Si (Bembe)
    Wild Jungle (Rumba Columbia ?)

Richie Blondet and groovetpt like this.
  11. Richie Blondet

Before Donna Summer had her Orgasmic anthem in the Disco 70s, Graciela was having some "fun" of her own in the 1940s.

SI SI, NO, NO - Machito and the Afrocubans

She's so into 'character' that she starts cracking up at the 1:30 mark.

Warning: Please cover the ears of all children under the age of 7

12. Richie Blondet

Some classic Afro-Latin Funk for you... ;)

Check out the Brasilian inflections Jorge Millet adds to the arrangement. Coupled with the Afro-Cuban rhythms, plus the Jazz phrasing.

THIS... is Salsa.

DJ Yuca likes this.
  13. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Im still kinda wary of playing it ( for my students ) /

14. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Also: Jane Birkin.

15. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

A wonderful interview with Mario Grillo (Macho's son and present leader of the Machito Orch.)

terence likes this.