The bizarre phenomenon of the handkerchief jutting out from the back trouser pocket

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Domenico, Feb 23, 2014.

1. premier

premier Shine Officer

In my experience microfibre isn't even nearly as absorbent as regular towel cloth. So not very good replacement.

Offbeat likes this.
  2. elanimal

elanimal Nuevo Ritmo

This guy has nothing on me

[​IMG]

And the microfiber towels work just fine for me

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

I like good absorbent cotton towels. I have two or three in my bag.

Haven't tried microfiber except for wiping car.

4. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

So I guess you've got that one hanging out of the car gas tank cover?

5. Offbeat

Once I had one hanging out of my trunk (mistakenly got caught in trunk lid when closing). The cop pulled me over to point that out. It was partially covering my number plate I think. He thought I did it on a purpose.

6. Atomico

Atomico Son

Hence your nick...? ;)

I always have a cotton bandana in my trouser pocket. (Mostly "concealed carry", but if it juts out, I don't care.)

I use it for rumba moves on occasion, but mostly to wipe off the sweat (and I, too, tend to sweat quite a bit when I get going).

I also want to say I like it when salsa dancers make bold fashion choices - it makes the night so much more interesting! If they nail it, it's just spectacular, and if they misfire, it still makes for great conversation fodder... :D

7. Winston

Winston Descarga

Never really needed one.

8. I also notice that fashion! - I think Eddie Torres or Adolfo used to do that - or other famous dancers - and then some people are mimicking
    them..
    Also in Afro Cuban style they use one as part of the dance - maybe that as well has something to do with it..

9. Winston

Winston Descarga

Oh yes. I vaguely remember that it is part of the dance. Is for playing naughty with the lady during the dance. I don't know if I read it here somewhere on the forums.

10. Offbeat

I haven't seen anyone use a towel as a fashion accessory. It has high utility value.

Would you call hand held fan a fashion accessory? It is also very widely used by the dancers. Again high utility value.

When is something a fashion statement and when is it required function?

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  11. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

It's not that complicated

Someone buying off-road vehicle to actually go off-road is required function. Buying it to have a big car to drive around the town and to sit higher than other drivers is a fashion

Someone having left shoe red and right shoe white in order to know which foot is left and which right during dancing is required function. Otherwise it's a fashion

Someone actually using towel or fan during dancing is a required function. Someone not using it is a fashion

Percentages vary from place to place .... so if dancers not using that towel don't exist in your venue, it doesn't mean they exist in mine

Smejmoon likes this.
  12. I used the word fashion - because that was the word used before or just the first word that popped in my head- on second thought I would use the word HABIT.

In any case - I think that many people do use it for utility...

13. couldnt explain it better myself!!!

14. Offbeat

My question was rhetorical :)

Today I saw someone with a black towel. He was wearing black pants and the towel was almost invisible.

15. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

In that case there is 98% chance it was a required function:)

16. Offbeat

Saw someone with a grey towel. Still white towels are 98% :D

Then saw someone with a long tail of towel almost hanging down below knee level! Wonder how it don't feel off when dancing. Noticed his pants were very tight. Hence it would be a stretch to even pull the towel off his back pocket :D :D

I saw some guys wearing what I can best describe as the tights that ladies wear. Completely leg hugging from the waist to feet! What's with that!!

17. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

They're probably pretty comfortable! At least if they're comparable to compression tights (like the ones used for running).

18. Offbeat

I feel more comfortable in my loose light tracks. Anything tighter makes me feel uncomfortable and restricted. For me running has always been in shorts.

19. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

Must be nice to live a place where you can always run in shorts :) I use insulated compression tights for running in the winter, they work fine down to say -10 C/14 F. Pretty comfy too, it's practically like not wearing anything. I'd never be caught dead in anything like that dancing of course!

azana likes this.
  20. Offbeat

-10C ? eeks!! I did think you were referring to cold place!! I don't like running and I don't like cold :)