The bizarre phenomenon of the handkerchief jutting out from the back trouser pocket

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Domenico, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Domenico

Domenico Son

2. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

:rolleyes:Not really new, not really a fashion, leads have been doing this for years to wipe sweat from their faces. I don't do it, but then I don't tend to dance non-stop.

ColdSalsero and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  3. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Yeah, also present in my venue for years. Never saw a guy actually using it to wipe the sweat. And there are some other unusual fashion details commonly used in salsa world.

4. Salsa Student

People are sweating and not using their sweat towel? Weird.

thepresenceon2 and EMOYENO like this.
  5. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

It's just like 90% people are buying SUVs and even serious off-road vehicles and never leaving asphalt roads (at least in my area)

EMOYENO and Domenico like this.
  6. wildbill20056

wildbill20056 Sabor Ambassador

It's where my towel lives, and honestly where else am I going to put it for easy access mid-dance? o_O

Some of us dance an incredible amount, with intensity, this produces sweat. One of the management strategies for this is having a towel. Mine gets used, alot.

It lives in my back pocket, as the neatest place it can be left.

thepresenceon2 likes this.
  7. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

Most people I've seen with sweat towels do use them on the dance floor. The rest probably still use them but more discretely, so we don't see it. Don't assume something is ridiculous just because you don't know the explanation for it.

BTW in rare occasions a handkerchief can be used in the dance, for example in rumba but this is not why most people have them nowadays (not in the crossbody scene anyway).

8. tallpaul

tallpaul Pattern Police

+1.
    It's not in any way a fashion statement, it's entirely functional.

wildbill20056 likes this.
  9. wildbill20056

wildbill20056 Sabor Ambassador

If we were to really speak of fashion statements I find bizarre we could mention folks who wear scarves on the dance floor, hats (outside of performance - ok those of us in the 'less hair' society may have a call on this one) and truly skinny jeans. All of these things would insulate and restrict me to the point of death on the dancefloor.

The humble towel is our friend and doesn't deserve it's place in the world of weird salsa dress! :p

vit likes this.
  10. Salsa Student

Sunglasses. At night.

11. Ciaran Hegarty

Ciaran Hegarty Descarga

Unless you're a Blues Brother. Then it's ok.

MAMBO_CEC and SalsaGipsy like this.
  12. Nika

Nika Son Montuno

Please don´t discourage leads to wear hats! I love them!
    I´ve asked guys for a dance just because they were wearing a cool hat..:p

calichris10 likes this.
  13. Domenico

Domenico Son

Ok, you are one of those who feels offendend.
    You did not get the message.
    No worries, no reason to keep talking about that.
    Anyway, on the contrary - the reason why I find it ridiculous is because I know the expalnation for it. But, of course I do not expect from you to agree with me.

BY the way, as @vit already mentioned, me neither have ever seen on e of these cool guys using their nice colored towel to wipe the sweat! :D

@vit you got the message and from your examples you gave I see you know exactly what I am talking about.

BY THE WAY, I KNEW THAT THIS WOULD BE A DELICATE TOPIC FOR MANY. My intention was absolutely not to offend anybody but I was awar of the risk of this outcome.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

Haha, offended? By what? I've never had a sweat towel in my back pocket. Oh, wait, I don't even have a back pocket. ;)

The message is wrong based on my experience. You are based in London, right? I have danced in London and other parts of England and this is what I saw.

15. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

Guilty, and it's to wipe the sweat....who ever "INVENTED" this "TREND", a hundred gold stars to you my friend!!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    EMOYENO likes this.
  16. Salsa Student

Claiming that people disagree with you just because they're offended is just another form of straw man argument.

17. Domenico

Domenico Son

Oh yes, thanks to that initiator!

click..wirr!!

18. Domenico

Domenico Son

another straw man argument?! As though the argumentation I gave is groundless!?

Well, I really do not see any point for me in continuing writing about this.

I do not care.

Surely there are other people who know what I am speaking about and understand the message.

Click....wirr!! :D

19. Luke

Luke Tumbao

Well, to play devil's advocate... perhaps these dancers are actually very smart. They recognise that hardcore dancers might sweat more and need to wipe the sweat off. They want to be recognised as hardcore dancers themselves. Fortunately when they were young they didn't have a life and read all about signalling theory in some ecology book. So they concocted a plan to fool the masses and contrived to place a sweat rag in a prominent place for all the world to see. It signals to others this dancer's prowess, and it works, and at little cost. Indeed, they are not the ones being fooled, they are the ones doing the fooling!

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  20. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

Brilliant hypothesis my friend!!! That's your cue Salsa Student....got to get that rag ready..hectic weekend coming up with all that awesome music!!!

Salsa Student likes this.