swine flu

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by salsamarty, Apr 27, 2009.

1. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

Just a thought . . . but does anyone have any second thoughts about going out salsa dancing while this swine flu news is developing?

2. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Yes, I do.
    Will I still go out to dance? - Yes I will.
    "A life lived in fear..." ;)

3. While yes, there is a lot of pigs that go out dancing...:eek:... I wouldn't be too worried about it... I think dancing and sharing germs is probably the best way to develop a healthy immune system that will ultimately keep you healthy!!:D

4. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac Son Montuno

Well, my allergies have been killing me for the past few days and I'm still somewhat recovering from what I suspect is a sinus infection. Anyway, I'm probably gonna take it easy for a few more days since I come into contact with a *lot* of people when I go out.

5. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

6. chr

chr Shine Officer

Life is unfair: not only the pigs get the flu... ;|

BTW: in Spanish flu (which is a similar strain) the main cause of death was an overreaction of the immune system. It's the suspected cause of the surprisingly high mortality rate of healthy young adults. The current swine flu shares this unusual characteristic with the Spanish flu.

7. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

I plan to continue dancing. I was out for a month with a knee injury. I need to feed my addiction and get back into dancing. I normally take hand washing breaks anyway to avoid colds and flu. However, I am aware that there are fellow salsa addicts that will go out even when they are still sick or not fully recovered. Now may be the time to leave the scene a little earlier and wait a little longer to return.

8. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I'll just avoid dancing with pig-farmers.:)
    Actually, I've gone out the last 5 days, and have a class tonight, so I guess the answer is 'no'.

9. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

What makes dancing any different than getting on the train or going to the gym?

10. • Or opening door knobs, going to the grocery store, ordering a pizza (made by potentially sick people) going outside!!!!

11. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I think I've got sick quite a bit because of dancing, it's annoying cos it takes me away from dancing til better. Lost count of the number of people who turn up dancing whilst still sick and seem to think its okay to share their germs in such close contact :(

Suspect that all the late nights and early mornings don't help my immunity much tho!

12. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

remember the bird flu 'crisis'...? ;)

13. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

Nothing, I suppose, if it is a very crowded train or I am wrestling with others at the gym. If there was a serious outbreak I would think both would be discouraged.

14. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

..and thats why the experts are in a "wait & see" mode. They say it'll take 6 months to know how this develops or if it develops.

In general, they say sleep is the best thing for the immune system...salsadancers should request naps at work in the interest of public health.

15. chr

chr Shine Officer

Quite on the contrary: The healthier the immune system the higher the risk. As wikipedia puts it:

"It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset."

16. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

well, modern medicine has plenty of very strong immunosuppressive drugs, if that's the only problem...of course, then people will die from staph infections...hmm...just go and dance! :)

17. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Wikipedia would not be my first stop to find out about a complex immune system mechanism. The 1918 pandemic could have been caused by a lack of "experience" of the immune system. That would be the same effect that wiped out most Native Americans in the Great Plains. Their immune systems had never experienced any kind of flu or smallpox, so epidemics were almost 100% lethal. The European settlers got sick too but didn't die and could invade the territory. There are studies on this mentioned in Jared Diamond's book "Guns Germs and Steel".

Although the seasonal flu vaccine does not protect against swine flu (or bird flu), immunized people have a less severe illness if they are infected. A stronger and more "experienced" immune system will always be a better than a weaker or less experienced immune system.

I don't know if there are statistics on this but I would bet that people with compromised immune systems (Cancer, Aids, organ transplant recipients) and young children with no immune system experience are the vast majority of flu deaths.

18. bolivicano

bolivicano Nuevo Ritmo

this whole swine flu is freaking me out!!! i hope it's gets under control soon. :eek:

19. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Actually, I read an article somewhere yesterday about a father and daughter who tested positive for swine flu. One had gotten the flu vaccine and the other hadn't (the daughter, I think). Both had similar symptoms and recovered. No stats, of course, just a case study.

20. chr

chr Shine Officer

Come on, wikipedia bashing is so 2008... ;)
    We know a lot about Spanish flu. It was reconstructed in 2007 from a frozen body in the artics and was injected into monkeys. A lot of of them died due to cytokine storm.

There are statistics ( c.f. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm ) and what you say is true for most flus, but not quite for the Spanish flu. Of course people with weak immune system die as often as with other flus, but statistics show a huge bump in the middle of the diagramm between the ages 25-40. Similar picture emerges for the swine flu, which is incidentally(?) the same strain as the Spanish flu.