Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by terence, Feb 9, 2016.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

This is not about the game ( enough said already ) But.. The half time dance routine with Beyonce in front, was the WORST choreg. I've ever seen ..

What they need to entertain the crowd, is a good routine in Salsa.

After all, this IS a world wide event, and yet the promoters are way too provincial in their thinking .

The AM studios in 1961 were asked to put on a show in Paso Doble.. it was more than well received ( LA super bowl )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Gotta say, though, that I was really impressed with Lady GaGa's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. She's no Whitney but she did an awesome job. Girl can sing!

calichris10 and terence like this.
  3. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

The halftime show is totally not interesting to me. Some people are all upset about it, others say it was great, I say I'd rather just skip it and have a 15 minute halftime. But the game was great especially since my team won. :)

4. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

There was a halftime salsa routine at one of the big (netball) World Cup clashes in Sydney last year, by a pair of self-styled bachata "world champions". Unfortunately, they hadn't received the 'less is more' memo, and the routine featured superfluous lifts and flashy moves. Much as I'd love the promotion of salsa and hearing the music, I can see organisers opting for a flashy lifts and tricks infested routine to a more commercial salsa song. My Latin dance club class at school starts next week (13 students have signed up! :)) and the first thing I'm planning to tell them is that the television salsa routines they see on reality TV dance shows are not real salsa or salsa music, and to get used to dura!

terence likes this.
  5. terence

When I say salsa, I mean with a latin band...

azana likes this.
  6. groovetpt

Congrats to you! ( and Peyton ) :)

timberamayor likes this.
  7. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

The Swedish commentators spent most of the night talking about how old e is and how disappointing his performance was. Hey, the other guy threw interceptions and had lots of sacks and some fumbles as well so... Definitely a defensive game however.

8. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

My 30th Anniversary of NOT watching the super bowl of a game they insist on calling football .... even though they don't play with a ball and don't use their feet. :p:p:p:p:troll:

9. groovetpt

yeah it was not a spectacular day for either QB and you're right it was a defensive game for sure. Cam Newton must have had a bit too much adrenaline pumping because many of his passes were way over thrown.

The Swedish commentators could not have been any worse than CBS' Jim Nance ( listening to him is like taking a sleeping pill - no wonder he's a golf commentator too ).

Now Eli and Peyton won't argue over Super Bowl rings at family reunions since they're tied at two. :)

timberamayor likes this.
  10. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious Shine Officer

New to the whole superbowl thing but I find the game quite interesting actually. In general, not this year's game so much; last year was a much better game.

The interesting thing is that it's just as much a duel between two quarterbacks than between two teams, and it's also interesting to see what physical qualities are required in this game vs the european football. I have to say that to me the game sometimes seems like the quarterback is 90% of the brains and he needs to be protected by a bunch of henchmen. Maybe this is a caricature, but it sometimes feels that way.

I mean there's so much brute force. Why not flank instead?

About the intermission: I thought Coldplay was good.

groovetpt likes this.
  11. groovetpt

I like that assessment. Of course, there's a lot more to it all but that's as good a nutshell as I've heard.

12. calichris10

calichris10 Sabor Ambassador

I think she was great. The song is very apropos to was is going on in this country. A bunch of racists are up in arms that a black woman and her black dancers were in the half time show. I say FINALLY!! Usually there is one token black dancer. Beyonce is not my fave but she is talented & can really put on a show. I think she kicked ass!

groovetpt likes this.
  13. groovetpt

I can't even believe there was backlash to Beyonce's song. What are people so uptight about? ( probably Trump supporters )

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    calichris10 likes this.
  14. calichris10

Thats what I am thinkin!! ugh..what is going on in this country?! Its scary!!!

groovetpt likes this.
  15. calichris10

16. groovetpt

calichris10 likes this.
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

calichris10 likes this.
  18. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

While I have zero interest in gridiron...

Gotta go for Atlanta!

19. terence

" My" Falc's are on a ROLL!!!.. how the hell does anyone defence
    this team.. gonna be a shoot out... NE 2 wideouts.. Falcs 7/8 and, the best tandem backs in the NFL.. and Matty Ice

20. groovetpt

That game went from blowout to blew it.