So You Think You Can Dance (UK) 2010

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by SalsaGipsy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

I have to admit I have never watched the show. However I heard that this year Yanet Fuentes is going to be a contender. Does anybody know if this is true? In any case, after Strictly finished, there might be some room in my TV schedule for some SYTYCD.

Has anybody in the UK followed this program before? Have there been other salsa dancers competing? Are you planning to watch this year?

2. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Likewise here but will be watching this time around because of the lovely Yanet. Yes she is and here is the link:

bbc.co.uk/soyouthinkyoucandance/aps/contestants.shtml

3. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

I watch the US version of the show and it is fantastic. It's like Strictly without the useless celebrity dancers. And you get to see a much larger variety of dance styles, not just Ballroom and Latin. They do have salsa occasionally, however I've yet to see a great salsa performance in the three seasons I've watched it.

4. GuyDC

GuyDC Tumbao

Cool! Didn't know she would be in there. Definitely watching this season as a REAL (IMO) Salsa dancer is contending. ;)

5. SalsaGipsy

Thanks for the information, everybody, very promissing and it seems I must watch it this time.

So this is where Arlene Philips has been hiding. Her skills and experience will be better used for judging professional dancers than celebrities, that's for sure.

6. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

I caught the show on iPlayer and was really impressed with the variety and authenticity of it compared to Strictly. With Strictly, the total disregard for the music is a real turn off, and even though I enjoyed the personalities and light heartedness of it (the judge Bruno cracks me up, he's hilarious) I won't watch it as long as they keep dancing to the wrong music. Yikes, some of the songs that are supposed to be X are terrible. :?

With this show the focus seems to be on the talent and developing the dancers over time so I'm hooked already. It is SUCH a shame the Brazilian guy had visa problems but there are still plenty of others to watch out for.

Should be good!

7. SalsaGipsy

I'll copy my reply here as well.

I watched the first episode and so far it looks promising. Did not see much of Yanet but hopefully there will be more of her next time.

There were some quite amazing and original dancers who didn't make it. But I guess it is not about who is the "best" dancer but about versatility. And personality, of course, it's TV entertainment after all.

By the way what is the format of the show? Are they going to learn different dances every week as in Strictly? Do you think there will be any salsa later on?

8. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

That's what I love about salsa. The techniques for leading and following are so unique in the way they are used in communication that you can't just take someone with a ton of body movement and flexibility and apply it to salsa. Just like you can't take someone without body movement and dexterity training in salsa, and move them to modern or contemporary dance. I'm actually shocked that more professional dancers haven't tried to learn the salsa language also.

9. SalsaGipsy

I agree that salsa uses quite a different pallette from most other ganres of dancing. If you are for example a good ballet dancer it will be difficult to retrain your body to move in this way (at least for most people). I see occasionally salsa dancers who have done classical or modern ballet and their dancing just looks like ballet - the rise and fall, the straight legs, the feet turned out, the posture and the lines they draw - it's very nice but it's just not salsa.

My theory is that professional dancers rarely switch to another completely different dance that will take them out of their comfort zone. I'm not saying never, just rarely. They might switch to a related dance where they can reuse a lot of their training (salsa to bachata, salsa to zouk, tango to salsa, etc.) if they are drawn to it or if it looks like a better market.

With salsa there is the added difficulty that you need a partner if you want to do it profesionally. With all the issues this brings - level, commitment, chemistry, availability, ambition, plans, finances, etc.

10. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

Enjoyed the first night of performances but found the camera work and vision mixing extremely irritating. They kept cutting off the dancers' feet, cutting one partner out of the shot completely and generally treated it like it was a old Top Of The Pops music performance. There is enough in the dancing to keep the viewer interested so there is no need for the 360 degree camera rotation and the constant cutting to different angles. It only serves to detract from the performance.

I thought Yanet looked beautiful but I get the feeling the BBC wants a home-grown winner so I don't think they will ever give her much attention unless she makes the final.

11. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Yep, I'm hearing you. I think it's because we're getting on a bit and are reaching grumpy old man age but I do agree that the whole production felt like it was trying to stimulate some recessive epileptic gene with all the flashing lights and choppy camera work. I was ready to switch off at one point and was wondering what happened to the great program that was supposed to be on. If it wasn't for that nice scroll bar at the bottom of the player.
    "Yap yap yap"...skips forward.
    "Yap yap yap yap"...skips forward again.
    *flash, flash, wizzzzzz, wish wish weeeeow* ...ugh, skip
    Ah FINALLY, dancing! :)

20 minutes in the tissues were out and I was wondering where my manhood at gone. :lol: Yanet was awesome, elegant, majestic and all of the rest. Her parter was a great dancer who I'm also routing for. Loved their routine and even though I wasn't sure about her in the auditions she is shining right now...and on the first show! Go Yanet! To what you said about her not being a favourite. Yeah, I get a sense of a bit of bias going on as well but that might be an anti-bias bias cos she is a familiar face, so it is like having a friend of a friend on the show, in a way. What they did at the end was cruel, keeping them on stage like that, but made for good TV. :)

12. SalsaGipsy

I just watched the show too. Lovely! Mostly because of the dancers and the routines, though. The whole scenario and the sentences they keep repeating irritated me as much as it did on Strictly. Do they have to ask everybody all the time how much they want to stay? "It means the world to me" "I would be devastated" "I don't want to let my parents down"... It will become the same as in Strictly - at the end they will all repeat the same words as if from a script.

My absolute favourite was the tramp hip hop routine - very inspired choreography and perfect execution. Although of course it was their own style so they had the advantage.

Yanet's dance was really beautiful. I think she was lucky with her partner who is also a fantastic dancer. I just don't understand why the judges were so surprised by her performance. As if they had never seen her before. She has the advantage to have been trained in several styles and they should have noticed that already.

The routine was beautiful as well but I think it let them down a bit. It lacked musicality which they would have been able to pull off. Anyway they are through safely and might have more luck next time.

Andrew, you might be right about the bias but with the public votes it becomes a bit unpredictable so she might have a real shot if things continue like this.

Looking forward to next week :D

13. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

I thought a bit more about the alleged bias and I think there may be a more innocent reason, as I friend of mine also noticed that the other foreign contestants didn't get much attention either. The makers of these shows always love some kind of back story. If your family is living overseas it's pretty expensive to go and interview them.

I agree that it's all starting to sound slightly scripted. They've definitely been prepared for the interview section and the stories they are telling during practice - James Jordan claiming Yanet and her partner had "no partnering skills whatsoever". Sorry James but you can't say that about a professional salsa dancer and have it be true.

I agree that the Tramps performance was excellent but I disagreed with the judges saying there was chemistry between the two. To me it looking like two dancers executing the same choregraphy perfectly in time but dancing separately. In fact I was amazed by how synchronised they were considering they barely looked at each other during the performance.

My favourite was the foxtrot though.

14. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

The slow foxtrot was amazing – such control at that pace was incredible.

Overall it proved what amazing feats trained dancers are capable of; the ability to turn your hand to a dance style you’re not familiar with and make it look convincing is incredible really. However it will be really interesting to see how the hip hop dancers cope with styles that are less ‘street’. Mentioning Strictly again – but it also showed how hard ballroom samba must be. Despite years of dance training that couple struggled IMO – no wonder untrained celebrities find the dance so difficult.

The guy who danced with Yanet is my tip for the win – his strong personality combines very well with his skills.

Like others I’m slightly suspicious about the editing and think it’s designed to create viewer bias, similarly it was too much of a coincidence that ALL of the hip hop dancers got a hip hop routine in the first week.

15. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

No, that was all random. They picked hip hop out of a hat containing 10 dance styles (7 of which said "Hip Hop" ;) ). It is the most popular dance style in the UK apparently, and from watching the first episode of "Got To Dance", it seemed like at least 50% of the groups who entered were doing hip hop in a style heavily influenced by Diversity's win on Britain's Got Talent.

16. SalsaGipsy

I'm sure if she stays in the competition they will invent some "best friends" or something. Maybe for the moment they are playing the "lonely girl" card because they are not sure if the audience will like her. People like to see imperfections, humility, emotions and she is a strong confident woman who knows how to control herself - and she should be for a professional of her status.

17. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I'm inherently biased toward Yanet but yes think your hunch is good. He seems to have a good following already and reality shows have a strong history of guys winning.

Having said this, Yanet has a very committed band of salsa guys and girls behind her. Whatever happens as they say all publicity is good so it's a win win for her anyway I expect.

18. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

I'd love for Yanet to do well too - but they haven't really given much air time, the public will feel connected to the dancers they feel they 'know'.

Just read Yanet's bio and she's pretty versatile (hip hop, jazz, contemporary, ballet). As others have mentioned she'll have no trouble with the lead/follow dynamic, despite what they said on the programme. If she gets good partners she should go far.

19. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Strangely it's quite hard to find Yanet content on youtube so here's one of the early ones but I've seen much slicker shows at weekenders:

youtube.com/watch?v=yqKBHeh3nFc

I agree the air time was limited. These shows like a story so I guess you have to give the researchers and producers fodder to work with.

20. wubwub

wubwub Changui

I didn't really enjoy it tbh, thought it was a bit flat. Maybe they need a bigger studio or a livelier audience?