SenSuALSA coming to a nightclub near you

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Sabrosura, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

A recent post by a salsa/bachata instructor.
    I'm not quite sure how this new style is supposed to look, I guess we will find out soon enough..!

"SenSuALSA: A Revolutionary new dance created in NYC by people who love connected dances and highly value good chemistry between partners on the dance-floor. It is the Fusion of Sensual movement such as it is used in both Sensual Bachata and Sensual Zouk with SALSA. People that dance SenSuALSA are rebelling against the Salsa style that feels like a sport. The style where the leader just focuses on how many times they can spin their partners into an endless amount of patterns at times ignoring the music tempo and/or feeling. Many times also ignoring their partners. SenSuALSA focuses on partnering connection above all things. The archaic perception of "Timing is Everything" is slowly being replaced with "Connection is Everything". After all, isn't that what partner dancing is all about?

SenSuALSA...coming to a nightclub near you"

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I'm afraid. Very afraid. :eek:

DJ Yuca, azana, vit and 1 other person like this.
  3. premier

premier Shine Officer

I think I might dance sensualsa without even knowing it! :eek:

4. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Me too! :eek: Although that's just BS advertising. :(

5. Kromat83

Kromat83 Sonero

It's strange how it's promoted as something new when it takes elements from bachata and zouk.
    Is this suppose to be a sensual salsa ?
    It's going to be between salsa and bachata?
    If you want connection, dance kizomba or close bachata.
    Not sure why we need so many other styles, we have enough as it is and it takes years to master one.

6. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Maybe after I've mastered Bachatango, Reggaezomba, and Chamarengue, I'll take a look at this!

kbitten, sofar, azana and 2 others like this.
  7. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

I don't like any sentence in a form "<whatever> is everything", so both of above sound equally bad to me

8. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't like any sentence where 'amount' is used to modify a count noun. It can only modify a non-count noun. They should have used 'number of patterns'. :D.

Of course, we all dance that way, don't we? No connection....

AndrewS, ssk and SnowDancer like this.
  9. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Enough said!

vit and SnowDancer like this.
  10. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

LOL, I am an English teacher and that is still over my head!

ssk, Smejmoon and vit like this.
  11. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

Is this tongue-in-cheek? Maybe not, since I seem to recall you have a preference for bachata/kizomba. Taking the post on face value, you can easily achieve an amazing connection in salsa as well. You can dance super close in salsa too, but close physical proximity isn't needed - at all - to have an excellent connection with your partner! Sounds like you mistake closeness for connection imo.

lidiap likes this.
  12. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

Where did you find this?

13. BullitproofSoul

BullitproofSoul Shine Officer

Juan Calderon, my old friend from college, and first Salsa instructor, posted it on facebook :)

Its generated a bit of a buzz

zorba likes this.
  14. Groove On

Groove On Sonero

I'm wondering what the hell they were dancing before they discovered "Sensual Salsa", because obviously they were doing it completely wrong :facepalm:. Somebody needs to tell them. ;)

MacMoto, Sabrosura and lidiap like this.
  15. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Huh???? Why would I need to dance to music I dislike to have connection? Isn't connection an essential element of any partner dance (if danced remotely well)?

Atomico, kbitten and LarsM like this.
  16. vit

No, essential element is showing off :D

SnowDancer and Al Israel like this.
  17. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Time to get really excited: we have actual video footage of a SenSuALSA class taught by the creator himself!
    A note from him: "the moves didn't have specific counts the class was allowed to interpret the music and go at their own speed and feel their musicality"

18. gzboston

gzboston Son

Good to see this, but I don't hear salsa music, this is definitely bachata kind of thing

19. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

That's exactly what is taught in modern jive .

20. vit

Sound recording is bad, but it seems to be original versions of "Seduce me" and not some bachata or "sensual" remix. I don't like to dance salsa on this song, although it was used from time to time on the (salsa) classes a few years ago by some local instructors, but was gradually forgotten since.
    Maybe it is a good song for what authors of this "salsa ceroc" tried to achieve, but I really don't see a connection between these zouk style moves with mostly zero moving across the floor and music which actually has a rhythm, accents etc and pace of it actually isn't slow
    Problem with dances where you "go with own speed and musicality" (including a "local version" of kizomba in my venue) is that everybody hear music a bit differently. So if you add the fact that these events are usually attended by people that are neither good dancers neither musical, everything usually turns into a disaster ....

ssk and kbitten like this.