Santo Rico spinning technique?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Capibaribe, Feb 6, 2007.

1. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

In my experience that has been correct, more than just prefer, most girls in NY dislike anything else. However you do need to make an allowance for ladies from Frankie Martinez School. The twirly fingers is very much in vogue there. Guy just lift just hands, and twirlers away, I have seen Frankie lead a no prep triple spin ( with paddling from the lady of course) in that fashion. Not my cup of tea, Spin as we know it are definitely not something of major importance for them. Actually some of the girls have outright stated to me that they don’t see any point of being lead for more than two spins. Spinning in general seems to be frown upon, rather slow, no pressure turns/spins is what you see in their patterns.

I do think an argument could me made about the role of multiple spins when dancing salsa. They are certainly fun, but if the point is to follow the music, then it maybe hard to justify what piece in the music tells you to lead a poor lady in ever lasting multiple spins. Every time I do a bar and half in the dance floor, I feel like I am going for cheap trills. And I have sold out to the mighty spin monster :)

manteca likes this.
  2. PielCanela

where are you based ? At least here in NY, I don’t know of many girls who would appreciate 7 revolutions in a 5 counts. Even the spin queen of NY, Renne has stated before that she gets tired of guys spinning her so much just because of the fact that she can spin.

That being said, I do belive if you can achieve those numbers, and the lady is happy, your spin lead is definitely solid. I keep getting yell at because my circles are too wide :( :)

3. jlon2

jlon2 Son Montuno

What's up Piel? I live here in NY. Please don't be misled by my statement, just because I can lead that many doesn't mean I execute it routinely. Renne is damn good....definitely in my top 5 spinners. Danced with her at Cache last Thursday........I kept it at no more than 4 because I have noticed that most leads do that with her.

4. PielCanela

I wonder about these to, almost all follows I know, including top spinner have said that after a certain point they stop spotting. What is that number is still up in the air.

I asked Rene and she said that she spots if the spins are slow but once they go faster she spin/spots like a skater.
    She does a really cool think with her free spins, at the end of them when you think it is the last one, she syncopates the last spin, and does two spins, instead of the one you were expecting, it is unreal to see someone suddenly accelerate at the end of the spin where most people are usually unable to do anymore.

Baso ladies are train to spot, and their goal is to spot as long as they are spinning, if and when they loose it, due to the amount of spins , they will continue to try to get it back until its over. Given that some of the Baso ladies can spin over 100 times within 60 seconds, speed is not an issue

5. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

I lead triples often, it's really not that hard on the girl to be honest. I danced with a Yamulee girl last thursday (you happen to know her) and I did a two bars of spinning into rising accents, and stopped in the break. I think I stopped her too abruptly, but she seemed to understand what I was doing and the effect I was trying for with the music. I almost never do more than 3, but with her and with those accents, something said go for it. You can ask her about it (and/or apologize for me) since you see her more often than my anti-social self. :p

6. barrefly

barrefly Nuevo Ritmo

Here is an example of a dancer that dances with straighter legs. (Such a slow turner and could never win a salsa comp.)
    youtube.com/watch?v=Iuj1tD1vH6U&feature=related
    At her studio...there are burn marks on the floor from her turning so fast.

7. PielCanela

how are you basing the assumption that is not hard on them? , I am telling you next time I see you I am going to put you in tripple spins for a whole song, I will stand in a chair to compensate for our height differences.:)

Seriously though, I don’t have issues with 3 or the occasional 4, or even the bar and half if the music calls for. However you will see some leads who just drill the poor girl in the floor with spins, after spin, after spin, forget musicality, or style, it is just CBL spin, spin spin, open break spin spin, hammer lock, spin spin.

I actually talked to her shortly after, and she said that you lead was good, I am not making it up she actually said that. Don’t get a big head now, I think you are just so tall, you cant do no wrong. So unfair I have be jump between spins so I can keep my arm leveled* :) And keep in mind you SR, Yamulee people understand each other better being uptown and all :) ha ha ha

*I am joking, please everyone else dont try jumping while spining a girl.

8. barrefly

barrefly Nuevo Ritmo

PielCanela, They call that L.A. style. LOL
    Dancing as you outlined above, is how my daughter loves to dance most, except that it is really more of "complex patterns and spins". That is what she was "designed" to do. (another big LOL). I know of other L.A. dancers that feel the same. Doing +50 spins in a single dance would not be that rare.

9. PielCanela

lol no wonder we need the whole United States to separate us. We will probably have spin related wars, I was complaining about some NYC spin happy leads, I didn’t even pause to think about LA.., they actually literary do drill the lady into the ground

youtube.com/watch?v=OrF7wxWjHx8

i pity the dancer who would try to do this at a NY social.

Hey but if the ladies are fine with it, and everyone is enjoying it, there is certainly no reason to complain, and we should celebrate our diversity

10. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

I only rarely give four unless it's my practice partners, and even with rene I'll only do it once a song.

I judge they're prep, I see how reactive they are and how well they do two and if I've danced with them before and see that they are comfortable with it, I'll do triples. I don't by default do threes. There's obviously a vetting out process.

By the way, I thought I was crap with her. Trust me, at this height, if I had a big head, I'd tip over too easily. :p:D I could have done a better job of decelerating into the break...it's funny how moments like that haunt you. There was a moment with Ahtoy that's the same. Uggh. I hate this dance

11. barrefly

barrefly Nuevo Ritmo

With the continous, fast complex patterns you see at the L.A. clubs today, Alex is old school. Also, some of the spinning I see at clubs are just plain crazy.

I can never get Alex's strangle hold move that you see in the clip, at the end. I haven't seen a follow yet, that doesn't look like she is being strangled.

Missy recently went to Miami. They have some crazy spinners there, as well. The fasted spinner I have ever seen...was in Miami. Most follow's turning goes to 10. Her's goes to 11. ("spinal tap" LOL).

I love Alien...she is such a sweetheart. (Melissa and I just had dinner with Alex and Alien, this past sunday.) Thanks for posting the clip.

12. Irisha

Irisha Changui

I took one workshop with them when they visited India for the fist and only time.. Their technique really helps!
    Making the big 'o' on the counts 1-2-3 as prep and spinning on the counts 5-6-7.
    My partner and I tried this in their workshop and continue to use it in social dancing and in class too.
    Effective.

13. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

I think you meant prep on 567 and spin on 123.

14. Irisha

Irisha Changui

Would that be relevant if we danced 'On1'.. ?
    Just confirming.

15. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

No, that's the standard on2 timing.

16. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

LOL Pielcanela, how far we've come. Looking back at these conversations is just funny. My own perceptions of how hard 3 and 4 spins are has so drastically changed. Pretty awesome.

17. Del Dominguez

Del Dominguez Changui

It's great in general how the whole scene has evolved. Yamulee picked up and thrusted the mantle forward. Having just recently worked with Osmar, the evolution of the Dominican style it a sight to see.

18. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

I wonder what's happened with opm1s6, barrefly, PielCanela et al...

19. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

Opm moved to hawaii. He was teaching there (of course part time). Last I knew, Piel was in Pune. India on an assignment.

Jag75 likes this.
  20. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

PielCanela is in NY, still dancing (happily, if I may say that for him).

Jag75 likes this.