Salsa remixes of popular songs

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Salsabachataremix.com, Mar 16, 2017.

1. I am not allowed to post any links yet, but I recently started to mix my own salsa music, please check it out - salsabachataremix com (like my username)

Or just google these keywords and you will find the right page
    SALSA REMIX – Shape of You – Ed Sheeran

2. DaveReading

DaveReading Changui

Just the thought sends shivers down my spine.

3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

:eek::D

4. Marcos

Marcos Son

I don't know you'll find a very receptive group with many here.

I started hearing the first track on the web site "Shut Up and Dance - Walk The Moon", which was done in Bachata and I had enough. I'm unfamiliar with the original version of that song, and most of the songs in the website (I've been boycotting non-Latin US music for 10 years in what I call a, "voy a pedir pa' ti lo mismo que tu pa' mi" decision), so I don't know how it sounds, but the anglo style acoustic guitar play with a canned Bachata rhythm was a huge turn-off, they didn't seem connected.

Doing remixes of American songs into latin rhythms causes problems, specifically with salsa because the singing styles are mathematically different. It will sound "cruzado", or "off" to how it should be accentuated, thereby turning off a significant number of salsa fanatics. Even when done with the best of intentions by established artists within a great production ( "Ain't no Sunshine" by Alfredo Linares is a good example), they have a very different feel from how they do as soul, pop, r&b, etc. The song structure of salsa is also very different, the call and response montuno section where soneros show their chops is very hard to adapt to those songs, and the solution of skipping that section, which is essential to so many styles of Afro-Latin music will mean that you end up breaking many conventions.

For the very same reasons I wouldn't expect R&B fans to get excited about an R&B version of "timbalero" (all of them Sonora Ponceña, El Gran Combo, and Willie Colon) or "En Barranquilla Me Quedo".

5. DJ Yuca

Unfortunately those very types of tune do occasionally become massive on the salsa scene. Maybe (hopefully) not in congresses, but on a regional level, definitely. E.g. So Sick of Love Songs, the 50 Cent salsa tune, the Michael Jackson salsa remix and, more recently, the aforementioned Ain't No Sunshine have all been rinsed to death. I'm sure there are other examples that I've been able to drive from my mind. Even when done well e.g. Ain't no Sunshine (a great tune by a great artist) they do nothing for me whatsoever. I strongly suspect that someone who is familiar with what goes down well on the salsa scene told Linares to record that track.

With the success of tracks like this, it's inevitable that other people will try to get in on the act.

6. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

I am one who rarely likes salsa in English, covers of anyone by anyone, and I don't even listen to regular music either so I never even heard the Ed Sheeran song :) To me it's not salsa. I'd say it's a latin pop version.

But i DO actually like the following salsa version of Hello, not that I'd want them to play it at the clubs I go to but certainly at a party with non-salsa people I'd enjoy hearing it. I know this isn't the only version but I like this one better than others. Full disclosure I know the trombonist. He used to be with Mayel Blanco
    I don't go to Clubs that play salsa remixes of "regular" songs however.

Groove On and Marcos like this.
  7. DJ Yuca

To clarify: a great tune covered by a great artist. But I don't consider this version to be anything special.

However, and much to my surprise, the salsa cover of No No No (The Boogaloo Assassins) has grown on me (after being forced to hear it by Latinastereo FM).

8. Marcos

Marcos Son

"No, No, No" is exactly how to do that sort of track. I didn't even know it was a cover of a track from another genre until DJ Yuca wrote it down, and while I've never heard the original, The Boogaloo Assassins made meaningful adaptations to the track so it doesn't sound forced into salsa. The energy between the chorus and sonero is slick, original, and exciting. It was the first I heard from the Boogaloo Assassins, and just thinking about it gets it in my head and wanting to hear it again.

Mandinga is all about covering American songs as Salsa with a good looking singer for appeal. I guess there's a market for that, but like I previously said, those songs they cover weren't written to mesh with the conventions of salsa, they stay very close to the originals; the only thing I can say is that I can now dance to those songs to salsa, but other than that I don't see why they're great as salsa songs. Time will tell how much success they'll have in the long run doing that.

To be able to adapt songs from one genre to another is an art. Key to that art is grabbing something from the original song that adds to its new genre, more often than not involving changes to the lyrics and song structure to add something fresh for fans of the new genre, rather than trying to rope in fans of the original song in its original genre to listen to it in its new genre. Few can do this well regardless of the genres involved. I've heard more success from salsa as a provider than a recipient (Santana, Tego Calderon, Don Omar, Cheikh Lo, etc).

9. Marcos

Marcos Son

Screwed that last post. No no no has sort of a Montuno section, but only coro and instruments and no sonero, which is outstanding.

10. Well, this has been taken from my bio page- the main reason I started doing this -

''If you, like me, have been dancing salsa or bachata for quite a while, you’ve probably noticed – whether it’s a class or a party, there are some songs which are being played over and over and over again.

I have been salsa instructor for more than ten years and even without talking Spanish there are some salsa songs I can sing from start to finish. I know every single break and change in melody.

I have also noticed that most of these more popular songs are from 90s, 80s and even 70s. So one day a question popped into my mind – for how long are we going to dance to the same old songs?

I love salsa and bachata, but I want to be able to enjoy dancing to songs I really like as well, so I taught myself some simple, specific percussion patterns, started going through my playlists and mixed a couple of my favorite songs.

Most of the mixes you’ll find on this website are made with just some simple clave or congo rhythms, but if you are anything like me, you will soon find that even these simple added latin beats can make your favorite songs into unforgettable salsa/bachata night experience.''

Marcos likes this.
  11. DJ Yuca

Ummm . . .

12. DJ Yuca

My man Richard Voogt doing some salsa improv to one of my latest mixes
    10.684 reproducciones
    90 veces compartido
    5 comentarios
    Comentarios
    [​IMG]
    Marin Nicolae
    Ooooooo yes !
    Me gusta · Responder · 1 · 5 de marzo a las 21:48
    [​IMG]
    Maira Strode
    Pleasure to watch! [​IMG]<3
    Me gusta · Responder · 1 · 5 de marzo a las 23:49
    [​IMG]
    Sandra Tomsone-Ivanova
    SkaistiVer traducción
    Me gusta
    · Responder · 1 · 6 de marzo a las 13:09
    [​IMG]
    Camille Balaguer
    Nice!! Keep it up guys!! [​IMG]
    Me gusta · Responder · 1 · 8 de marzo a las 2:38
    [​IMG]
    Rob Te Rata
    Now THAT'S what l call salsa bloody amazing
    Me gusta · Responder · 1 · 14 de marzo a las 10:47

13. DJ Yuca

Seems to be pretty popular!

FYI you can already salsa to any non-Latin song if it is the right tempo, in 4/4 time and has a clear beat. You don't even need to give it a simple clave or congo rhythms.

Salsabachataremix.com likes this.
  14. Thanks for posting some of my videos :))

Yes, but without the specific added rhythms there can be confusion about what should you be dancing. I mean I still try to teach about differences between specific rhythms and styles of dancing in my classes.

15. Well I believe it's just a beginning - people said the same thing about bachata remixes connected with the rise in popularity of sensual bachata, and I think it's particularly the music that is the main reason for this bachata craze over the past 5 years.°

And even a bit older example - west coast swing. Mainly old people still dance it to the ''classic'' country songs and the rest of the WCS scene music is built on popular music.

So I just think - the same thing can happen in salsa as well. Of course at first there will be a lot of ''conservative'' opponents, but eventually it will drive new people to dancing who other way would have never started to dance.

Marcos likes this.
  16. timberamayor

I must be one of the conservative opponents. I don't like bachata at all, so I never listen to it. I think that if you don't speak Spanish you are missing 50% of the song, so I can see why you would be more apt to get bored with the songs. Also maybe the DJs in your area need to have a better playlist.

IMO salsa is more than just claves and congas - it is a Latin attitude and way of approaching life, etc. and most of that is transmitted through the lyrics. So just putting any old pop song with congas etc doesn't do it for me. It may bear similarities to the rhythms in Latin music but lyrically and musically it's still a whole different world. That doesn't mean there isn't the occasional song that sneaks by and that I can like in spite of my prejudices. But then it actually has to sound like a real salsa arrangement, not just adding a clave and conga track to Usher or some such thing. The stuff in the videos and the Ed Sheeran I listened to don't sound like salsa. And if the way to make people like salsa is to teach them to dance to music that doesn't sound like salsa - maybe they aren't learning to appreciate salsa. But maybe that's what a remix is - just adding some Latin instruments rather than doing and actual salsa version of a song like the ones below.

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard all that before. Do any of the salsa remixes sound more like salsa? I could just skip to those and try them out. But as long as they don't really sound like salsa - not my thing.

For example here is a ballad that was made into a salsaton that I actually like, and I don't even like reggaeton but I like this song
    original

salsaton

Or the version of Laura non c'é

By Paulo FG Laura no está

Quisiera ser ballad by Alejandro Sanz

And then by Tirso Duarte
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S32xhHBd_Xk

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  17. Marcos

Marcos Son

Your understanding of what you are calling the bachata craze is very superficial. Bachata has actually gone in a 30 year popularity upsurge, its history is very interesting and I highly, highly recommend that you learn about that history so you can understand its causes and how bachata has come to be the way it is today. It may be that it was within the last 5 years it reached your neighborhood but the socio cultural changes that happened, along with the musicality changes were well developed 10 years ago.

18. Marcos

Marcos Son

Salsabachataremix.com,

I'm with you in wanting to spread salsa around, and in a number of issues I fall into the liberal camp within the salsa community, but I do it as someone who is consumed by salsa in every aspect. DJ Yuca who I have disagreed with in the past month, has been so consumed by his passion as to dedicate a significant amount of his time towards studying the history of salsa, the Latinamerican community, and even Spanish. I would like to encourage you to do the same, there's probably many things that will enrich your understanding of salsa and expose you to many new songs and help break you from those you're getting tired of listening to. If you want to listen to music in English there's always the Boogaloo era and the new Boogaloo bands like Spanglish Fly.

For now I would like to encourage you to listen to the band Africando, and hear the way the singing flows with the salsa instrumentation even if you don't understand the lyrics. Note the form and structure of the songs and how they are conforming to salsa conventions, of montuno, instrumental solos, mambos, etc even as they are sang in Wolof or other West African languages. Betece and Yay Boy were hits in latin radio stations in spite of being sang in Wolof. Mandinga is doing something similar for US pop, but in both ocassions these were done using highly trained musicians with well thought out arrangements.

But your project is a fundamentally different thing, the replacement of the band by using canned rhythms and melody in the same way that happened to reggae in the 80s, and merengue in the 90s; and on top of that fundamental change throwing in the stylistically different and unadapted US pop singing. That's not what's been happening with Bachata, like I said on my previous post, check the history of that music.

19. timberamayor

Actually I was thinking after I posted that I guess I'm confusing salsa remix with salsa version. I guess a remix is mainly keeping the original song and throwing in some salsa elements, whereas a salsa version is redoing the whole arrangement and making it salsa, in which case there are some salsa versions of pop songs I like but I don't know of any salsa remix I have heard yet that works for me.

Groove On and LarsM like this.
  20. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

"Country " songs ???.. I don't know where you get that impression from, but, In all my years teaching and dancing WCS, neither I ( or any of my older buddies ) used Country music .

I did a WCS formation for a studio, way back when (60s.) , the song I used ?.. Green Onions . And, in my WCS library, I do not have ONE country song..

Could one use country style music ?,, of course, I've just never come across any teacher who does..
    There may be DJs out there, who have a preference, but they, I believe, would be the exception to the rule. As you said, today mostly current pop styles .