Salsa open diary

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I'm still sleepy from Berlin, and on the plane again, so please explain a leap of reasoning. :)

Why having a lot of performancers make a good scene?

2. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

Yes wondering what you doing early morning on here!

My original quote:

3. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

Not necessary at all. In my scene, there are hardly any performers. The ones who are part of a dance troupe, coincidentally, never social dance and never go out period. Very few people would comment on my scene being good, but for me it is perfect. I can dance On2 as much as I want. The only thing limiting me from achieving what I want from dance is me, not my scene. Even in scenes 10 times larger than mine, I still don't get the opportunity to dance as much as I do here. It is really really weird.

Now that I think of it, if I was restricted to dancing only in the 3 Eastern European capitals around here (Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna), I'd be a happy camper for life. I don't need to travel to Amsterdam, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, Berlin, Russia/Ukraine to get my fix. Despite what people say about those scenes, I am positive I would not feel as good in them as I do here.

I said it here 4 years ago when I moved that I had found my perfect dance scene and I stand by that statement still.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    SnowDancer, Offbeat, azana and 2 others like this.
  4. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Ok, got ya! 1) they are not famous for instructing, 2)people from Milan say, they don't instruct there (except Sosa), so end result is no scene, but many shows.

5. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

btw, do you know of / have you experienced the scene in Ljubljana? I've been thinking of planning a hiking trip in Slovenia. The main issue is having to change flights so many times to get there :)

I'm afraid I prefer on1 dancing :)

6. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

Yes! I was going to put Ljubljana on my list of preferred dancing places. Many people like and enjoy going to the magic festival there in January. The local scene is pretty good... just not very lead heavy from what I recall. They will dance whatever you want. The locals were friendly and the city is absolutely beautiful. Every time Ljubjlana guys come here for the parties, they are a hoot. I would go there just for the city and the surrounding area, which is spectacular. You won't be disappointed. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Smejmoon and azana like this.
  7. azana

Thanks, Chris! I definitely want to visit now :) At the moment it's a very-much-want-to-do-this-not-sure-if-I-can-afford-it-right-now situation as flights from here are not cheap, but certainly considering it, perhaps for next July...

8. azana

Wow. Good music tonight! A guest DJ; I didn’t recognise him, but I do hope he’s local and/or returns. Fresh, danceable tunes and some lovely bachata songs. The regular DJs tend to have such a limited playlist and particularly unappealing bachata (converted English poppy songs, old ear-wrenching Huey Dunbar and the like).

I didn’t have any blow me away dances, but did have easygoing leads with big smiles :)

terence likes this.
  9. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Yesterday I had painful experience while dancing with one salsa dancer. The guy did not cut his nails, and all the time tried to squeeze my palm. Oh my God, I several times asked him not to do that, and it did not work...after the dance, I told him he has to cut his nails and stop squeezing lady's palm. He took my words as an offense. I do not care...I still have marks from his nails, and I hope I will never dance with him again. :mad::(

Al Israel and terence like this.
  10. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Completely valid complaints. If I were him I would cut my nails and apologize.

Marisha likes this.
  11. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

The sad part is that it was Cuban salsa, so we had hand connection all the time. If someone likes long nails I do not mind till the moment it hurts me. I sometimes dance with ladies who like to lead, some of them also have long nails, even longer than that guy has, but I have not had such experience with them. :)

12. Offbeat

My action, whether intentional or unintentional causes someone harm or pain in context of dancing, I have to take responsibility. This guy has too big of an ego and too less of an understanding, if he is taking an offense to that. People like him deserve to be blacklisted.

Ladies should really stop putting up with arrogant crap like that. There enough gentlemen around to dance with.

Abraham440 and Marisha like this.
  13. Abraham440

Abraham440 Changui

Salsa Diary and first post after lurking for some time. I'm terrible at keeping up with forums; let's see if I do better this time.

Anyway, after about two months of salsa classes, I finally had my first less-than-awesome one. I had yesterday evening free so I jumped in a class with an instructor I never had before, but it was in the same place in the cycle as the Wednesday class I've been taking, so I figured it would be fine. Well, since the teacher was behind syllabus, in the last 10 minutes or so of class he introduced a new partnerwork pattern to catch up, and I had a hard time with it, even though everybody else seemed to pick it up instantly (I later realized that it was entirely possible that some of them were repeat students). That wasn't the disheartening part--this is FAR from the first time I've had trouble with a new move, as I'm kind of slow on body movement learning. What got me was that for whatever reason, the ladies in that class seemed to be a particularly impatient bunch, and I was asked if this was my first-ever class, and later someone suggested that I should start with the very first introductory class again. As if not instantly absorbing a particular new move disqualifies you from everything else. This was an unpleasant change, since most of the student partners that I've danced with so far have been happy to join me in some well-meaning laughter when we inevitably trip over ourselves.

Ah well. Tonight I will be doing the same material again, with my favorite instructor, so hopefully it will go better. And if not, my Friday class will be getting there in two week's time.

I definitely do need to practice my spins more at home though. My balance is terrible!

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  14. Offbeat

Beginners don’t know a lot and yes, they are impatient. Both the gentlemen and the ladies. They also try to correct each other. It is upto you, which feedback to take and which to discard. Beginner ladies think that they are learning the pattern, because that is what they see instructor teaching. Where as in fact they are supposed to be learning to follow a lead to a particular move and the leader is being taught to lead as well as lead a sequence of moves (which is how a pattern is put together). If the leader leads an inside turn instead of outside turn, and the follower does inside turn – then follower was correct and the leader was wrong. If a leader is leading an inside turn instead of outside turn and the followe tries to fight the lead by doing outside turn because that is what the teacher is teaching, then the follower is also wrong; because actual lead (of inside turn) is not being followed. Most instructors in a group or club classes have only an hour and don’t get into such nuances. Yes, some instructors try to rush the things when they are falling behind in time.

For many beginners there is only one truth. It is what the instructor is telling at the moment (whether right or wrong). Whatever they interpret of what instructors is saying is the only right way. Everything else is wrong. That is how our brain learns. That is why when going from one dance form to another, you have a head start over those who have no dance background. The brain is very good at recognizing patterns, until it is shown a new one which it has never seen before. In short the cognition of the beginners in any new activity is extremely limited.

Therefore don’t let the expectations of the beginners bother you. They are thinking they know, what they actually don’t :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  15. Peason

Peason Son

Beginner's Hell will eventually catch up on everyone :alien:

Al Israel and Smejmoon like this.
  16. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Ya got that right !!..

Al Israel likes this.
  17. Abraham440

Abraham440 Changui

Yep. People are like that in general, with a lot of things....

Indeed! Hey, nobody ever got good at anything without some struggle, right? (Well, ignoring those off-the-charts savant types, which I am most definitely not!) Though I'm glad to say that last night's class went better. This instructor paced herself better and we had more than double the time to practice the pattern, which helped immensely in drilling it into my uncoordinated head. Now to test it in the "real world" aka the Halloween dance party I'm going to on Saturday.

18. Sabrosura

Sabrosura Maestro 'Sonero' Lavoe

In Paris till Wednesday (we get days off for Halloween here in Luxembourg :D ) Going to Le Salsa Club tonight and O'Sulli tomorrow and Agua on Tuesday. If anyone wants to join, let me know :)

Also going to the famous chocolate show on Monday, if anyone wants to join for that :)

Paris has the best salsa in Europe and the best chocolate in Europe so yeah, a very happy Sabrosura :) :dancingbanana:

19. Offbeat

I have decided to camp in Paris for three days after the Amsterdam!

Sabrosura likes this.
  20. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

So can we expect a review and assessment of which is the best chocolate? :)

Sabrosura likes this.