Salsa open diary

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Jul 30, 2011.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

NO one ??

Depends upon whom I may be teaching , or dancing with

2. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

You may be exception :) But honestly other than FM, who only touched upon it in a tangential way, I would say no one. Are there good dancers who do that - yes! But I have yet to see a salsa instructor who can explain and demonstrate how some can break out of the six step basic structure of basic salsa step. I am not counting shines in that. Yes, people get creative with shines and footwork, but let's compare to dancing apart in say salsa and WCS. Salsa dancers may think they are reflecting the shines or footwork of their partners and playing with each other when apart, it is nothing compared to what they do in the WCS. To an unbiased onlooker, WCS dancers will always appear more playful than salsa dancers when dancing apart.

I like dancing salsa and I think it is (can be) musical. I just think a lot of teachers simply don't give right tools to the students early on. Most salsa dancers tend to discover musicality in their dancing on their own. In WCS on the other hand, I find that many are displaying what I called "canned" musicality.

*my comments are only limited to linear/slot/ny/la/pr style.

3. Offbeat

I think I get what you are saying. It is what I termed as "canned" musicality in my previous post. You can almost predict what they will do! Many WCS before gaining proficiency, will try to do dance in way that they think reflects the music but in a very sloppy way. They will have a set of movements, that when the certain section of music comes, they will perform. Those who have been dancing long and have decent technique usually lack imagination to break out of that "canned" music. But over all, I still find that their technique is better than that of salsa people (at the same level).

4. Offbeat

Here is very good article about one dimensional musicality:

http://joymotiondance.com/mickey-mousing/

"It matched the music, but it was like everything was pre-programmed. I could have been dancing with a robot."

Peason and jaybean2000 like this.
  5. vit

vit Clave Commander

I actually had in mind other thing (although also related) - that part of the dancers work too hard on musicality and not enough on quality of the dancing/movement and that dance is sloppy although musical . It's hard for me to enjoy if my partner expect me to help her stability or drag her along the floor or turn her into every turn while she is trying to express her musicality. Also, I don't like terry's type of expressing musicality in a way he changes direction of the follower once per second either

I'm however aware of problems with that "canned" musicality as well (though probably more related to tango and kizomba than salsa due to the nature of the dance), but I'm not sure much can be done here. Every person is different and has different emotions about the same piece of music, so it's quite possible that we will feel expression of our partner as fake/canned even if it's as real for him/her as our for us, just because it is different. Maybe that probability is even higher if the partner is technically better - there is a kind of feeling of inferiority, so we can fell him/her as artificial/ballroomy/etc ... it's again complex subject, but to put it simple, with some people we have good chemistry and with most other it's average or bad, and nothing can be done here. Structured social dances actually help here, because there is a kind of agreement how to express particular music with dancing ... but no, then it's studio dancing, it's ballroom, it's not "street", there is no creativity etc ... so the result is, for instance in my venue, that we have 4-5 salsa on1 instructors, 3-4 salsa on2 instructors, 4-5 kizomba instructors, 2-3 wcs instructors, 2-3 zouk instructors, every one of them selling considerably different kind of dancing within genre, so people from different groups are mostly not able to have satisfactory dancing with each other to start with, not to mention adding own "personal" style/creativity on top of it ...

So however you turn it, there is no ideal approach in social dancing, but I absolutely don't agree that structure in dancing is bad, in addition that I don't agree that kizomba, wcs, tango have no structure. They have the structure, just it's not aligned on bars of the music but you are free to movee the boundaries of the moves between the bars. That difference is not as big as it may look like. And in BR we also have dances of both kind (some are aligned on bars, some are not)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

I have been to Kizomba parties on three continents, so I have to disagree...

wol and vit like this.
  7. jaybean2000

jaybean2000 Changui

I go to Zurich for good dancing. It is very wonderful be around so many people so happy to dance. I cannot stay whole weekend but one day hope come back.

8. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

What's with the bright red shoes, guys? I counted three pairs on Saturday night. Granted I had a fabulous dance with one of these pairs to start the night :)

9. Offbeat

Were you wearing them? :D

10. azana

A very sweet guy came up to me tonight and asked "Would you like to do salsa?"

Later on we did bachata.

11. Offbeat

You danced salsa and bachata or only bachata ? :)

12. azana

We do salsa and we do bachata

13. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Just out of curiosity, you mean the guy is in general "sweet" or the way he asked you was sweet? Because if it is the latter then I wonder what the others do to ask you to dance. Just pull you to the dance floor?

Offbeat likes this.
  14. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

The 3 paras ,are consistent with the lack of dance education .
    Ya cant teach, what ya don't know !

By the way, I can assure you empirically, I'm not the only one using methods, to achieve changes .
    Even tho the concepts are more advanced, I do explain to my beginners , how the basic format is very flexible .

The problems start, ( as to not understanding ) HOW 90% of "teachers ?", count the basic, and NEVER change .

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM
  15. jaybean2000

jaybean2000 Changui

I dance so much in 7 days that I stay home today and no work. I never did that before. I feel dance start to take my life over.