Salsa - My New York Adventure

Discussion in 'Member Reviews' started by olamalam, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

Tomas = Tomas/Santo Rico.

FrankieM. = FrankieM.

By and large, few people dance the way they do on the dance floors of clubs or other venues...

2. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

Really? Well okay. I would have loved to have seen that. It goes to show not everything uploaded onto youtube is representative of individual or regional style.

3. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Frankie would not dare mess with you!:p

4. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Yes, it was great, I'm still swooning. :) And so have been all my other dances with him--some were more energetic when the song was faster, but none of them were turn pattern frenzies.

5. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

In fairness, I should point out that I know some pretty good dancers from London (who like to dance to real salsa music). (They're students of Don.)

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Don?

7. DJ Yuca

Don't know his last name, however I'm sure the London contingent can tell you more. I get the impression he's the best instructor in the city for slot style salsa. I know he gets instructors coming to his lessons in an attempt to up their game.

(I've even heard tales of instructors attending his lessons and denying that they're instructors. For some reason I'll say no more. :D)

8. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

You seem to have a lot of opinions about London when seemingly you have not danced there.

You should try SOS - a high proportion of dancers there actually like the salsa dura/latin jazz that they play.

olamalam likes this.
  9. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

I was there some years ago and I was impressed with the music and even told the DJ about my positive feelings! :)

[It is always good to give credit when it is due, that way hopefully this will reenforce the validity of a given DJs work and approach!]

As for the dancing, well that is a different story, but I guess it is a case of different strokes...LOL!

10. DJ Yuca

Every time I go to London, the salsa scene is closed that weekend!

Sabrosura likes this.
  11. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Try Salsa-Fusion (twice a month on Saturdays)! ;)

12. nowhiteshoes

SOS never closes ;)

DJ Yuca and MacMoto like this.
  13. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Original article disappeared..

I agree with Toan. My limited experiences say that if you believe new yorker self promotion - you might get disappointed. I did not believe that NYC is Mecca, but it's not better dance scene than London. And London is not the best from what I've seen. Living in Eastern Europe has spoiled me. Average level of dancing in NYC is that bad, that ladies actively reject leads whom they don't know, because most of them are painfully bad. I went through pre-dance interviews even when I had dance shoes on. :) But there were few very good - musical dancers.

What was cool is the cultural side, passion for the music. I say - embrace what you have and enjoy that. I'll try to check out New York scene more. The city has such depth that one probably can find what they like there.

14. DJ Yuca

In the end I did make it there once, and had a great time. Definitely one I would like to return to.

Unfortunately for me, on my previous weekends in London I was only there Friday and Saturday nights (admittedly in August) - and there was nothing on. That was over 5 years ago though so things may well have changed.

15. nowhiteshoes

There is a salsa vinyl night on Saturdays every couple of months, I think. I have not made it in a few years but the music was, and I'm sure still is, superb.

Sorry, just realised this is not a London thread (but it has been dug up from the grave).

DJ Yuca likes this.
  16. jaybean2000

jaybean2000 Changui

What are good places you think, please?

17. Smejmoon

Please check with locals. I was there only 3 days. :)
    But all places were good. Good air conditioning, good floor.

18. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

Did you read what Richie wrote on the same pages few posts below the Toan's post?

If you go to the socials that are primary based a around particular school, my experience has been disappointing. Even my experience at the only Frankie's social I attended wasn't that great. But there were two more dancing places with few minutes of walking distance or cab ride. That is the crowd gets fragmented due to number of options available to people.

In addition to what Richie wrote, I think what makes NYC stand out is the number of quality instructors available and the live music (after all NYC has contributed as much to salsa music as any other place on the planet in past 50-60 years). NYC metro population is ~20M people. The city alone is about 8M people. That is a lot of people!

For anyone to get a proper experience, you might have to spend a few months. Going for one weekend can be hit or miss. I have been to NYC probably about 4 or 5 times. It has been more miss than a hit. That is only because where I choose to go.

As far as ladies actively rejecting the leads they don't know, I truly haven't experienced that. I am fairly sensitive to level of rejections in general. Other guys on here who have frequented NYC can also attest to that. I haven't heard any of them say anything about the level of rejection. NYC also tends to be slightly lead dominated. People in NYC in general have a certain attitude. That also carries over in to the socials.

MAMBO_CEC and Sabrosura like this.
  19. Smejmoon

I completely agree with Richie that New York should be visited in summer. And with the rest that he wrote as well. Where we differ is that I also much appreciate quality of the dance. It's rather important to me.

Also I don't care too much about salsa as such. I much prefer good jazz or hip hop or whatever to bad salsa. In New York this is all in competition, so I did go out so see live music, but that was jazz.

P.S. In SF many of good dancers I met were imports from where I'm coming from; in NYC as well. ;) Just sayin' we're spoiled here.

20. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Or, you have a preference for a certain style that is prevalent in your region ;)

I can say that most of my favorite leads I meet from around the world (and again this could be a male-female issue, since you're a lead and I'm a follow -- maybe NY follows are somehow much worse than the leads) either were from NY, had trained in NY, or had trained with someone who was trained in NY.

Case in point: a week ago I was at our local Friday night party in Boston and I danced with a dancer I didn't know. It was a very good dance and I could immediately tell the NYC influence in his dancing (granted, the fact that he danced on2 was also a tip-off, but there are plenty of on2 dancers in Boston as well, there was something else in his dancing that immediately made me think, I am dancing with a NY dancer). Immediately after the dance I asked him where he was from, he said he had lived in Boston for a few years and hadn't danced there much, I asked him where he learned salsa and he said he lived in NY before that and that's where he learned to dance. :)