Salsa - My New York Adventure

Discussion in 'Member Reviews' started by olamalam, Dec 28, 2012.

1. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Olam, I simply stated my experience and conclusions drawn from it, I did not talk about my personal likes or dislikes in terms of flavour, styles nor venues. So I guess you can call it objective view of a subjective topic? I have never been good at identifying the line.

Richie, I definitely agree with a lot that you are saying about the culture and heritage, and if I ever move to NYC for a living stint I would definitely indulge more. However, on this particular journey it was more about the social dancing aspect, or more specifically the On2 dancing aspect. So I stuck to the socials (those are listed in the article). The majority of people that I know would go to NYC for the same reason, so for those that are looking to walk the same type of path, this article documents what I experienced as well as what to expect.

2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura Maestro 'Sonero' Lavoe

I'll take you to Harlem so you can experience the sabor live. :)

Have you finally learned to dance cha-cha?

3. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

Hi Toan,

I will definitely take time to read the article before going any further. Although you've given me an idea of what your insight revolved around. I have, somewhat, the same opinion as you do about the "On2" scene in NY. Although I would say that my take is probably a bit more 'critical' than yours... :)

Richie

4. olamalam

olamalam El Sabroso de Conguero

if i'm tired, i would again dance slow motion salsa to chacha song. actually i love it.

5. Sabrosura

You need to improve your stamina :p

6. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

No, some of us become obnoxious fan-boys who talk about it in cult-like fashion to anyone who will listen.:D And I do refer to it as 'Salsa Mecca' and practice On2 basics facing East 5 times a day.:cool:

Sabrosura likes this.
  7. olamalam

ahh come on, dont be mad at me just because i posted that article. why is it that hard to hear other peoples opinions?
    remember, i supported you when you posted your reviews about london to that fb group and when admins removed that i complained.

8. olamalam

facing east? check the map!

9. Sabrosura

I'm not mad, I just like dancing cha-cha. :)

10. Sabrosura

Yep, New York is East of where SnowDancer lives. :)

11. olamalam

sorry, my bad

12. olamalam

of course you like dancing chacha
    and
    of course you are not mad, yes.

13. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Exactly.

Really, I think the article is saying that NY is not as good at being like London as London is.

toan-hoang likes this.
  14. DJ Yuca

LR is a pro - surely it's entirely reasonable to look at vids of him dancing. His style of dancing must be a large part of what has made him a success, and (afaik) he achieved his success in London; therefore, his style of dance reflects the tastes of the London/UK scene. Even on the vid posted, there are plenty of comments about how great he is. Like it or not, what he does on that vid is considered wonderful by many.

I've never seen him dance before (that I recall), so if you believe that vid to be atypical, you can always post a more representative example of his social dancing.

Out of interest, why do you consider him 'one of the finest out there'?

Sabrosura likes this.
  15. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Hi Richie,
    I have heard loads from various experienced dancers about the gradual decline over the past decade or so, I guess all golden era's must come to an end, but I would love to know what your thoughts are.

16. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Yuca,

I couldn't have said it better myself, I see the comparison of NYC and London as the comparison's of apples and oranges. The same goes for any scene out there as there will be pros and cons, and will fit different people as they see fit.

Sabrosura is a previous article referred to (and forgive this analogy) NYC as Filet Mignon and compared London to a $5 steak. I do not think that is the case and I think it is very unhelpful to propagate this message. I think that I stated the reasons why quite well :)

17. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Yuca,

Comparing people based on YouTube clips is never a good way to get a full representation of someone. I have wished for years that my best dancing is caught on camera, but it never has :'(

For me Leon is probably one of the most innovating partner work dancers out there, he has a very interesting move set and some very nice dynamics while dancing. I have heard questions about his lead, but after 4 years of asking him, he would still not lead me.

I also think he latest string of performances are very interesting...

18. DJ Yuca

The camera never lies.

Of course, everyone has greater and lesser moments.

Do you think the clip Sabrosura linked to is typical of LR's social dancing?

19. DJ Yuca

Here's how you concluded the article on your blog:

'So after visiting the motherland for On2, I have come to the conclusion that home is where the heart is. I have friends, a community and my favourite Salsa dancers in London, so I will love to dance in London more than any other city in the world. What NYC offers is a gathering place for great dancers from around the US and the globe as well as a new set of exceptional dancers that I have not danced with.

I will always say that you should experience as much of life as they can and to try new things is to broaden your horizons. However, for those out there that believes and propagate the message that NYC is the ultimate dance spot, but at this moment in time, I would have to personally disagree.'

Tbh, what you have written is a bit ambiguous. In the first para above, you state you prefer to dance in London because you are familiar with the scene there. Fair enough, but in the 2nd para you state NY is 'not the ultimate dance spot'. You may well be right, but I don't think you have really explained why it is not the ultimate dance spot - surely that is a separate matter to your preference for being where you have familiarity with the scene?

20. Sabrosura

I don't recall seeing that article. I prefer seafood to meat. :)