Salsa in Vienna

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Rebecca_mon, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Rebecca_mon

Rebecca_mon Changui

Hello everybody :) Im going to Vienna this thursday, friday and saturday and would love to find some place to go by myself and dance the night away! Where is the best place to go solo to dance and that doesn't develop into a crazy party place?

2. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

3. Rebecca_mon

Rebecca_mon Changui

haha well what I mean is the typical exchange from salsa music to a reggeaton party where i would rather not be when I'm by myself :p

Thank you so much for the links, looks nice!! I mostly dance cuban/colombian style if by any chance you know if there is some place with more cuban music? I heard of a place called Floridita, so maybe i will go there on thursday! :)

4. MrR

MrR Son Montuno

Got about the same question, but for next week, 24-28th of April.

I am going to be in Vienna for that time and of course i want to take a look, how the Austrains dance :)

I found this calender relatively quickly: http://salsanena.at/salsabar/salsa-tanzen-in-wien
    Anyone got a better/more complete one ?
    Most of the parties there are Cuban music as it seems - that's fine with me and coming from a small town where we got maximum 2 worthwhile nights a week i will find enough i guess.

But my bigger concern is about concrete information about the different locations. Anybody familiar with the places willed to give me a short explanation (probably in PM), which ones probably are lively and popular with "younger dancers"?
    (Retirement home party i can have at home too and on the other hand Latin disco isn't my interest neither ...).

5. Chris_Yannick

I will be in Vienna from April 26 to 28 and I am having trouble finding a good party. Like you've already discovered, the scene is predominantly Cuban and also a lot of Kizomba. Most of the clubs are tiny spaces in basements. Danzon being the exception. It is spacious enough. Some of the dance studios are nice too. During the dates you listed, i would only go to the Cafe Club Afro party on the 28th as i know the organizers and they teach NYon2, which is right up my alley.

The average age is towards the younger side, especially if you are going to a Kizomba party, which most of the parties seem to be nowadays in Vienna.

6. MrR

MrR Son Montuno

Well, there the minds differ. On2 focus actually for me is a sufficient reason not to go there ... the name "Club Afro" made me think of "Afro Cuban". Thanks for the info though.

7. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

8. bailar y tocar

Update:
    Mondays: Salsabar Wien (Albert Schweitzer Haus)/ cover 7€/ Cuban , 2 big ruedas called at 9:30 & 10:30pm.

Wednesdays: Cubabaila Vienna (basement of Café Wirr) / no cover / Cuban, some intermediate & advanced ruedas called

Fridays: Salsaviva in Cafe Afro / donation requested / Linear on1 & on2 about 30% on2.

I did not consider Danzon or Tanzschule Chris, they list reggaeton and kizomba as part of the playlist. The venues above play all salsa or timba and max 1 bachata per hour :)

9. Chris_Yannick

Fair enough, although Tanzschule holds a monthly social at their dance school and they have separate rooms for Salsa, Bachata and Kizomba.

So i believe it is worth putting it out there:

Tanzschule dance school (Friday once a month). Cover 9eur. Drinks included in price.

There is also very good dancing at the Imperial Riding School Hotel every other Saturday. Free entry. They will play a mixture of salsa linear/cuban/bachata and Kizomba on rare occassions, but it is a popular party and attracts many good dancers of all dance genres

Honestly I find both of these parties worth attending for the atmosphere alone. The Tanzschule dance venue in particular is huge.

10. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Off topic. Would you recommend the Vienna congress in Dec?

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  11. Chris_Yannick

I'm very biased because I live so close to Vienna. I say not worth it.... but listener beware :p

It is maybe worth it if you can get the full pass + hotel at a decent enough price because they don't sell individual party passes. They are moving the festival to the original venue location, which is a good thing. I had a lot of fun in that place.

If you haven't been to Vienna, it's quite pretty during that time of year. I would make it a trip + dancing on the side.

But if you look at the website, you'll see if the lineup appeals to you. In the past, I think they had better artists. This year seems kind of... dry. They are also coming off a one year break, so I was expecting a bit more bang for my buck... but so far nada.

12. Offbeat

Thanks. My main purpose would be to visit Vienna. Salsa is simply cherry on the top. I don't care about the artists. How many people attended in the past ?

13. bailar y tocar

Vienna is worth a visit even if you only go to the regular dance nights for salsa - and even if you don't salsa at all. Of all of the major European cities it is by far my favorite.
    Airbnb options are cheap and convenient.
    If you cook, groceries are cheap and good quality. Public transit is ridiculously efficient and plentiful and the network is very dense.
    People are friendly. The museums are amazing (but not cheap). If you are into theatre and are fluent in German, Vienna is up there with Berlin for best theatre scene. The Vienna scene is more accesible though, not as esoteric as Berlin.

Offbeat likes this.
  14. Offbeat

Thanks!! Better than Prague?

I hope sabro reads this :)

15. bailar y tocar

Hmm that is a tough one. I like Prague a lot as I have friends there from a long time ago when I was a kid and we went on summer vacations there. Vienna OTOH is just amazing. They restored all of the Imperial era buildings so you get to wander around in a Baroque city (if that is your thing).
    I am fluent in German so I can enjoy all of the cultural activities in Vienna as well whereas in Prague, not so much.

A real downer in Prague is that the smoking bans are only partial, ie separate rooms or even just separate sections as opposed to Vienna which has a total smoking ban.

Offbeat likes this.
  16. Offbeat

Okay. I am going to Vienna :) will need to carry my camera as well.

17. Chris_Yannick

It's hard to gauge the number. I'd say anywhere between 750-1000. The main salsa crossbody room will be packed. Can hold maybe 300 ppl max.

Here's what it looks like.

18. Offbeat

That looks good enough in terms of size. I don't know what night this was taken on. Dance level is a bit low. The dance floor seems slightly bigger than Amsterdam. I like the tall ceilings. Amsterdam felt a bit claustrophobic. This looks roomy.

19. bailar y tocar

Btw, the linear salsa dancers do come out to Salsabar on Mondays after the cuban style dancers have left and there is no cover charge anymore. That is around 11pm.

Hmmm, so cuban style dancers have to work and linear dancer can goof off :p