Salsa in Denver end of October?

Discussion in 'Member Reviews' started by salsera_alemana, Oct 15, 2010.

1. salsera_alemana

salsera_alemana Nuevo Ritmo

I will be at a conference in Denver at the end of October and will stay at the Hyatt Regency downtown. I don't know if I will have time to check out the salsa scene but would like to be prepared, haha.

Which clubs are recommendable on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights? Are there clubs that play mostly salsa? I prefer Puerto Rican salsa, by the way.

I saw there is a Samba Room in Denver. The Samba Room in Orlando, FL, has great salsa on Fridays and Saturdays in a separate room. Does the Samba Room in Denver have salsa nights or is this predominantly a restaurant?

2. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

When I'm going to travel I check the salsapower salsa cities section. Not sure if it's 100% up-to-date but it's a place to start.
    http://www.salsapower.com/cities/us/denver.htm

3. salsera_alemana

salsera_alemana Nuevo Ritmo

Yes, I already did that and always check the Internet first. However, often those sites are not up to date. And also, one does not know what music mixture those clubs play. I was hoping that there might be salseros from the Denver scene here who can recommend places.

4. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Contact Eric Freeman from salsaville. He should be up to date. I've never heard anyone mention the samba room though.

5. redgee34

redgee34 Changui

Saturday at Parc 55- Two rooms, here there was a real error, during the night time shows in the bachata room they did the shows to one end of the room (as a pose to the middle dance floor) and basically if you didn't get there when they started you couldn't see a damn thing, pretty terrible for people that cared about the shows and a few people even said in my presence "never again will I come here". I didn't care and went down to the salsa room. The salsa room was probably the most happening on saturday night with lots of talent. Tito Garcia was ok that night but I've heard him do better, I went upstairs to catch some Domenic Marte and I thought there was extremely weird feedback with the sound system/acoustics of the live show and so I left since I couldn't get into it, which was just as well as I mentioned with the salsa room being strong.

6. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Hi, I will be in Denver from September 26th to October 10th. Planning on hitting the Salsa congress but would love info about clubs, preferably serious Linear style and bachata ones rather than casual pickup bars. I would also be happy to meet up with SF members in the area :)

dav7802 likes this.
  7. dav7802

dav7802 Son

I just spent the weekend in Denver and the DJs were very different than LA. The two places I went to were: La Rumba on Thursday and Blue Ice on Saturday night. In both places the DJ did the same thing. Perhaps it was the same guy and I didn't pay enough attention.lol. Basically it went like this:
    2-3 songs bachata, 2-3 merengue, 2 reggaeton, 2-3 cumbia, 2-3 salsa.
    La Rumba was more of a "dancers" place where Blue Ice turned into a club feel around midnight. Blue Ice was also very packed, we had a drunk girl running into us from behind, 3 other couples dancing "cumbia" and using a lot of room during the salsa songs. La Rumba was a large dance floor with lot's of room.

La Rumba had more salsa dancers where Blue Ice had more ppl dancing cumbia to salsa music. The quality on both were not good. I am not a great social dancer by any means and ppl were staring and pointing at us. :)

My suggestion would be to find a social put on by one of the schools in addition to experiencing the local scene.

8. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Mirrors my experience, I also tried Acero on Friday, decent on2 dancers but the social laster for about an hour after the lesson before the attendees went down from fifteen to ten. All in all I stayed an hour and ten minutes and danced with all of the girls 1-2 times. Hopefully Denver has better options.

Based on I heard possibly Salsa Central and Los Tacos Bachata on Wednesdays, Black Belt Salsa on Tuesdays and La Rumba on Sunday. There is also a monthly Salsa Bachata social at Blue Ice which is supposed to be better. This is all heresay however, use at your own risk!