Salsa Enthusiast looking to start a website around Salsa Dancing

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsa sister, Jun 17, 2017.

1. salsa sister

salsa sister Changui

Hello Everyone,

As a salsa dance enthusiast, I have decided to intermingle my desires for salsa dancing, music and technology into something tangible. And as the title of this post suggests, I am thinking of starting a website around Salsa Dancing. When you talk to your friends and other salsa enthusiasts about it, what do you say? What do you think is the biggest problem or frustrations around salsa dancing?

Looking forward to the feedback.

2. Peason

Peason Son

There are to many websites? :D

Al Israel likes this.
  3. salsa sister

salsa sister Changui

Thanks for your reply. That is the main issue that I see as well. Too many websites that are mostly regional and not one central location where information can be found for the salsa dancing scene. For me going to one or two online sources to find information on socials and the like would make sense, especially when travelling.

4. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

That's because regional websites do the job. When I travel, the first question I ask google is "where to go salsa dancing in x city"

What would be the main purpose of your website? Is it article-based or a search engine? I know a few people who started salsa websites to air out some of the age-old issues surrounding the scene (how to avoid getting rejections, proper etiquette, etc...). If it's a popular topic, they will get views. If you're going that route, I would just focus on what YOU are passionate about and write about that.

If trying to just consolidate information into one place, that would be pretty difficult (technically speaking as I have no idea how to do it). For anything I can't find in my network of social media or google, I ask for here on SF (and we can get pretty specific here so almost any niche is fulfilled).

Good luck with the site!

5. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

You are posting on one right now !!!

6. salsa sister

salsa sister Changui

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I know that I am posting a salsa website. I like to fellowship with my fellow salsa enthusiasts as well.

7. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

We used to have a site in the UK that may have been similar to what you are considering. It was useful. It contained mostly listings and interviews plus once a year a readers' poll for best instructor, band, congress, DJ, song etc etc. There is still another UK site that has comprehensive listings: http://www.salsajive.co.uk/salsa_home.htm

If you can do something that focuses on useful information then I say go for it. Personally I think most salsa blogs etc either state the obvious or deal with trivial matters. Often they reveal the writer's ignorance. You're better off, imo, with collating useful information and listings plus writing reviews and interviews. Anything you can't do to a professional level yourself then delegate, and stick to whatever you're good at. And be prepared for a lot of work.

alvinthethird, Offbeat and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  8. alvinthethird

alvinthethird Nuevo Ritmo

this. Also worth considering: is this going to be primarily a labor of love or would you like it to generate revenue?
    tagging @toan-hoang, im sure he will have some ideas...

Other considerations: how would you want to position yourself? As a information resource for traveling dancers (mapDance, festivalsero, salsadancecongresses, latindancecalendar) Or more a blog like latin dance community?