Random Travel Thoughts

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by bailar y tocar, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Once you pass the two month mark for US-Europe flights, expect quick price increases as flights sell out, because there are a ton of Europeans who go home for the holidays and who buy their tickets many months in advance (myself included :) ). So buy your ticket asap!

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Yes, and already done! Flying in to Ljubljana and home from Bucharest. :)

thepresenceon2 and Sabrosura like this.
  3. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

I live one metro stop from Fenway. Wish I had known you'd be in town.

4. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

https://transferwise.com

SnowDancer likes this.
  5. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

One of my nicknames with the students (the ones who know a little about baseball) is Miss Fenway :)

6. bailar y tocar

Friends from Chicago booked their flights to visit me in Cali, Colombia in March.
    The www.kayak.com airfare was $533 per person RT on Avianca-TACA: Chicago - San Salvador (El Salvador) - Cali.

That is one of the things I really miss about living in Chicago - the cheapest airfares for international travel. Flights for the same time from Minneapolis would have been about $800.

7. SnowDancer

With the Romanian salsa congress cancelled, and my flight home leaving from Bucharest, I think I'll just travel aound E. Europe for a week. Maybe Budapest-Sighisoara-Brasov-Bucharest by train. Hopefully I'll find a few salsa parties.

8. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

Are you doing the magic festival in Ljubljana?

9. SnowDancer

Yes. Have you been?

10. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

No, heard good things though.. Doing a little debate in my head about going...

11. azana

I was finally able to book all of my accommodation for Dominica and Jamaica (the hostels kept having power outages and their Internet would go down, so I would receive messages months apart :) ) as well as setting up a guide to climb Blue Mountain Peak. Northern winter - I'll have to bring all of my warmest hiking clothes for that one... Dominica will be a week straight of volcano hiking, bussing to and from Roseau; in Jamaica I'm sticking to the east coast, mostly hiking and rafting in the mountains, and avoiding the tourist towns and resorts. I just added a few days at Treasure Beach (the writers' colony) for ocean swimming. I have a weekend in LA either side of the Caribbean and very much looking forward to dancing there again.

This has been a particularly horrendous year at work, so I needed this break. Planning to take a pile of books! Even though tonight is the biggest local salsa party, I can't go as I'm trying to churn out student reports before next week's deadline; four classes to go... :(

I need to start looking at salsa congresses that occur during non-teaching periods (even though I still have plenty of work, I can take it with me). That means end of March-April, end of June-July, mid-September, New Year...

thepresenceon2 likes this.
  12. bailar y tocar

The thermostat in my house is on wifi.
    I turn the temperature down to low but above freezing when I travel.
    I have an app to change the temperature.
    I always forget to turn it up before I start my return trip.
    I arrive home to a cold house.

The technology works. :cool:

SnowDancer likes this.
  13. SnowDancer

Not bad: $3 instead of $50+. :) Thanks!

bailar y tocar likes this.
  14. azana

Flying into Miami, the pilot was reading out the destinations and gates for connecting flights. He was trying very hard with his Spanish pronunciation and doing an admirable job of it. Until he announced the gate for the flight to "Puta Cana". Don't think I want to go there...

15. bailar y tocar

Portland Parish has the best jerk chicken in Jamaica.
    The beach with the small river flowing into the beach I think is called Drapers. It is east of Port Antonio.

16. bailar y tocar

Avianca's baggage overweight policy is much less onerous than the other airlines. With the US carrier, I had to move a bunch of stuff into carry on to avoid a $200 fee and that was with the extra allowance because I have the airline credit card.
    My bag was overweight for Avianca too. They charged me 40,000 pesos = $12.
    Avianca gets stellar ratings but I have not been on any of their long distance flights.

17. azana

Yes, awesome :). Very friendly place! The only problem is the revolting monstrosities that are the cruise ships, which tower over Roseau, taller and larger than any of the buildings and dominating the skyline at the end of most streets. We just got rid of one and then another turned up. However, I've been tracking their courses on marinetraffic.com and once this one is gone it looks clear. Very basic guesthouse, no hot water, but it's pretty much 27 degrees 24/7.

Went hiking to the tallest falls today, then swam through the amazing Titou Gorge. It's narrow and very high, and the only way to get to its waterfall is to swim through the gorge. Once you approach the waterfall, the current is so strong it's hard to swim against. Several bruises from being pushed into the rocky gorge sides. Only three of us reached the waterfall - certainly got my workout for the day! We gripped the rock walls with our fingers (very ouch...) and managed to climb up it, then leapt off the top back into the gorge river. Enormous fun :). Tomorrow rappelling in a canyon, then more hiking. Another week here, then hit Jamaica and back to LA for obligatory salsa stopover.

18. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

LOL !!!!

19. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Sounds like you are prepping for an audition, in an Action movie ....:eek::D

20. azana

:) Except I woke up with the red scrapes on my elbows showing prominently, and those action stars somehow seem to have perfect hair and makeup throughout...

Today was canyoning, a combination of rappelling and free jumping waterfalls into pools, moving down the gorge. I'd done an 8 metre jump when cascading in the Dominican Republic, so these were tame in comparison, just great fun. Loved learning rappelling, especially when the cliff falls away and you can give slack on the rope and free fall. Awesome day. Tomorrow I'm doing a full day hike.

I wish I could see that Dutch couple I met in Suriname who recommended Dominica to me again, to thank them. This place is so me :).

Tabs on one of the activity company's websites: "Exotic waterfalls", "Hiking updated", "Bird watching", "Naturefari", "Photo safari", "Walking the Emerald Pool trail", "We are not the Dominican Republic" :) .

thepresenceon2 and terence like this.