Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Brownskin818, Jul 15, 2009.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Mambo on the dance floor ???..:eek:.. they would not know a mambo if it bit them in the A.....
    Not to mention the BR techn. being used.

2. Winston

Winston Descarga

Kazakhstan is the country of the documentary journalist Borat.

3. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

Terence "Mambo" is the term used these days to describe NY style salsa. It's not the same "Mambo" that was danced in the 50s.

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  4. terence

I'm well aware .And those that use the term should know better .
    What's that term.. " repeat something often enough and everyone will believe it"

Mambo is a genre ( as well as a musical style ) conflating the 2 to me makes little sense.

If that was acceptable then maybe we should call Mambo and Salsa "Swing "..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. terence

6. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

7. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Good one. :)

SnowDancer likes this.
  8. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Training to be a Latina:D:D:D:D

9. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

Very true. I wish people would remember this more often.

10. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Yes, you are right.

11. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

Unfortunately you been left stranded on the station! :D. As you are aware and discussed in that other thread, the term mambo has become synonmous with NY style or more specifically ET2. The term has been co-opted much the same way 'gay' no longer is used to denote 'happiness'.

12. Winston

Winston Descarga

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  13. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

I am trying to figure it out too, but I love mine: Sabor Ambassador, spreading sabor around the world one dance at a time!:D

Winston likes this.
  14. SalsaGipsy

Very long time ago I remember seeing a list of these levels and how many messages you need to reach them. Can't find it anymore but you can guess them by looking at the list of members and the message counts.

Winston likes this.
  15. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Celebration of body plasticity and musicality :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. terence

Then that logic ( ET2 ) implies "salsa " should be called Mambo ?.

For those that are not aware ; the origin of the term was co-opted to salsa from mambo, ET2 is the way that old school mambo was/is commenced.

Having said that, it seems a little disingenuous to "adopt" the name of another dance style within the genre as a substitute, to essentially "sell" it as a different classified form by just changing the beginning .

But, as TP said " ALL salsa is mambo but not all mambo is salsa " .
    Ya change the music ya change the style .

17. Hey! as sort of one - I would tell you that in everything you do there're the downsides and upsides - the same analogy goes for being a celebrity..
    But don't forget they do what they love and live out of it - which is, in my opinion one of the best things that one create for him or herself - what do you think?

18. SalsaGipsy

Oh, so you are a celebrity? Wait until we start discussing you... ;)

Seriously, though, this refers to people like Terry, Adolfo or Frankie whose every dance is filmed, analyzed, compared. There is so much pressure to be creative, musical, technical, smiling, well-dressed, fresh, full of energy and always ready to dance with every girl in the queue waiting for you. Party after party. On top of the performances, workshops, privates and everything else they need to do (which is also filmed and carefully analyzed). And then a few years later you are out of fashion and people are tired of your style. Suddenly what you do is not original anymore and they only see the flaws.

The downsides for me dominate, for others it might be easier. You need certain personality for it which I don't have.

Wow, I didn't remember writing this post. Apparently that was 8 years ago. But I still agree with it :D

19. SalsaGipsy

Those were the times! :)

We still had the shines compilations, every discussion was new and interesting, everybody was friendly and tolerant. Hehe, I guess I'm getting old. :D

20. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

So if I understand what you're saying it's all in the music. So If I would dance ET on2 to say this song: Am I dancing mambo or salsa?

Here are two Palladium era dancers dancing to "salsa" Are they dancing salsa or mambo?

What about using the terminology "modern mambo" or "Congresso era mambo" to differentiate it from the palladium era, common thread is that they're both danced On2 and they are still many elements that are common to both?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017