Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Brownskin818, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Groove On

Groove On Sonero

All my favorite follows have great dance technique, but the reason they are my favorite follows is not their dance technique ... :D

2. manzanadulce

manzanadulce Sonero

I was dancing with someone new at a social a few weeks ago. He wasn't a terrible lead, but he was a bit of a pattern monkey and a little bit rough/sloppy with his lead. he also kept trying to get me into uncomfortable feeling patterns (he was super tall, the height difference was challenging), so i kept hijacking :eek: because i didn't feel like doing salsa gymnastics.

after hijacking like 3-4 times i apologized to him and i guess he must have taken it like i could not follow him based on the level he was leading at. he said something like, "don't worry i'll just do easier patterns now."

so i'm minorly insulted and i raised my eyebrow at him like "dude, are you serious? my ability to follow you has nothing to do with the complexity level of the patterns you are leading". but i didn't say anything because i didn't think it was worth it. i told my boyfriend later that i hoped that guy had seen me dance with others after we had danced and realized that my "inability" to follow him had nothing to do with him being more advanced than me LOL.

i just thought it was annoying he assumed that.

akdancer likes this.
  3. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

I used to be like that. It's a long road to realize that girls don't want to be ragdolls, if no one tells you straight up, in a position of power... aka, your teacher. Most of us leads only see what other leads do and might assume a lot of force is necessary, especially when a musical lead hits different parts of a song aggressively.

Honestly I still haven't come across a single group class that teaches, in depth, how it should feel. That includes numerous classes in NY, Boston, PR, congresses, etc etc etc. I often wonder myself how advanced guys learned if not through privates.

akdancer likes this.
  4. manzanadulce

manzanadulce Sonero

honestly, the best dancers in terms of how they feel to followers in new york are trained by frankie. it's actually amazing because i can always tell if someone has been trained by frankie. i've had so many dancers with people that were great and i asked the lead afterwards, "have u trained with frankie martinez?" and they say yes! and then some of them ask if i have as well, which i always consider a great compliment. there are others in the scene who have managed to learn to lead without making the follower feel like a ragdoll, but i think most of them have either been dancing for years and years OR they have taken enough classes at enough different schools where they've sort of taken the best of everything and combined it into a style that works and feels nice.

but yes, to your point @elanimal, nobody that i've taken classes with besides frankie puts any emphasis on how it should FEEL, both to lead and to follower. so no wonder the ragdoll effect is so common.

vit and elanimal like this.
  5. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

This about sums up our year on salsa forums :D
    [​IMG]

Offbeat, lidiap, manzanadulce and 2 others like this.
  6. Nuyorican

Nuyorican Son Montuno

Took the wife the see Tipica 73 last night. Dandy Rodriguez leading a band with Jimmy Delgado on timbales and Sonny Bravo on the keyboards was an amazing dance experience for us.

Had a great table in front of the dancefloor to.

But couldn't help but notice that old school dancers avoided the floor when the new schoolers were on it.

Had to learn the hard way why...

I took some of the suggestions from the Salsaforum thread about keeping my partner safe on the dance floor. Saved my wife from getting run over twice by taking the hits but couldn't prevent her getting stomped on the third time by a member of the new school who didn't even bother to acknowledge that they just hurt someone.

They just kept on dancing a hundred miles an hour even though the band was playing a mellow Charanga.

Thank goodness I read Salsaforums to know how important floorcraft is and how to keep my partner safe but I still failed to keep her from getting hurt. You guys/gals taught me that as a lead its my responsibility to keep my partner from harm and I feel terrible I couldn't do that last night as she woke up this morning with a really bad limp.

Gonna hafta schedule a private to focus on how to keep my partner safe.

I wonder if that's even possible...a lesson dedicated to floorcraft.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    SnowDancer, Abraham R. and lidiap like this.
  7. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

How much longer is a "while ", than a "Tad" ?... :confused: :D

SnowDancer likes this.
  8. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Ouch, sorry your wife has a limp now!

I can definitely relate. Last night we had a special event and the venue was impossibly crowded. I don't remember ever seeing this place (which has a huge dance floor) so crowded. I got stepped on three times, and bumped into I don't know how many. Not a single one of the offenders even acknowledged their actions, it seemed they didn't even notice. On top of it, one of the people who stepped on my foot, a guy, later on asked me to dance! Are you kidding me, no!
    So yeah, floorcraft should definitely be taught, a little more than just being mentioned in a beginners' class.

9. jaybean2000

jaybean2000 Changui

I am happy to find this forum. You all seem know much and travel much. I find very interesting how technique so important. I keep reading but happy to know you.

10. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Swimming this morning a duck flew over the pool and landed and settled in my lane :)

LarsM likes this.
  11. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Today marks that magical time of year, when the delight of Opening Day baseball combines with back-to-back-to-back CT surfing events (including Bells, which I can go and watch live), Super Netball and ongoing ice hockey. As one local commentator used to put it, "Too much sport is never enough!" :)

(And I've pulled a calf muscle, just as my hockey preseason training is getting underway, and the local outdoor pool has closed for the winter, so I can't swim laps with the ducks in the morning instead of running, to rest it ... :( At least it was fine to dance on last night :) )

12. zeep

zeep Changui

I danced better when i was a child

13. Curious....what do you think made it change?