Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by Brownskin818, Jul 15, 2009.

1. calichris10

calichris10 Sabor Ambassador

I cannot believe Trump has gotten this far. I am so afraid that he has a chance. It really says a lot about this country :( we are in deep s**t.

2. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

It says a lot about humans in general. So many people out there lack ethical integrity, are unable to think critically, and are driven by fear. They are the easiest to brainwash.

3. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

If he has a chance it is mainly because 30% to 40% of people don't bother to vote. They take democracy for granted and are happy to crib and complaint but not go out and vote. Why is that people that are angry and unhappy are first to vote? While those who are doing well and properous don't bother. That's why it is said - we get the govt we deserve. In democratic countries people should stop blaming the govt and look at themselves.

4. calichris10

calichris10 Sabor Ambassador

That one person would vote for him is frightening.

groovetpt likes this.
  5. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

It's insane! I voted for Bernie in the primary and I will be voting Green in November. I have been a registered Democrat since I was first eligible to vote for Jimmy Carter in 1976. But I am *not* voting for Hillary Clinton. My conscience won't allow me to do that.

Edit: oops I don't think we're supposed to talk politics - sorry moderators

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. groovetpt

Favorite quote of the week:

"I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier".

7. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Have you seen this...
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...s-ranks-Our-choice-is-either-Clinton-or-Trump

(I'm looking at this from an outsider's perspective since I'm not a US citizen) I get it that some people can't bring themselves to vote for Hillary, but this is the part I don't get (to me it is a situation where people's cognitive biases seem to rein supreme): if it turns out (and this is a highly likely scenario) that Trump wins by less than 1% because some people chose to vote green rather than vote for HC, would their conscience feel that much better when they have to look their kids in the eyes and realize Trump is now president because their vote helped him win? Objectively speaking, it's pretty clear that every vote away from HC is a vote for Trump in this election. Ideally one would vote with their conscience and it's not an ideal situation for Bernie supporters, but then what election ever is...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    wol likes this.
  8. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

This is not a thought I had, but its something cool I saw. I was watching a science lecture and the lecturer explained that every breath we take has a few of the atoms in it that Caesar exhaled when he died. The cool part is that he did the math and showed his work, in detail. Two related things were that every breath we take contains oxygen atoms from just about every living creature that ever processed oxygen, so long as that creature was alive 50 years ago or prior. Also, every glass of water contains a few of the water molecules that were part of the sweat secreted by our parents during copulation. This is completely due to the mind-boggling number of atoms and molecules in a volume of liquid, and the degree to which they distribute. Pretty wild stuff.

Sabrosura likes this.
  9. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

There's a lot of misinformation floating around about Hillary. I would vote for her - but I've checked the facts.

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  10. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

If you don't vote for Hillary them the Republican's scare campaign has worked on you, whether you're right or left.

11. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

You are in New York State. That is not a swing state. If there are 50,000 like you in each of Colorado, Virginia, Ohio or Pennsylvania, then I will be worried.

12. bailar y tocar

I just subscribed to the SunShare Community Solar at 100% solar energy offset. Solar has become so cheap, the cost of electric energy (with the solar credit) is about the same as fossil fuel.

www.mysunshare.com/7thesun

13. groovetpt

I've heard all your arguments and logic ad nauseum, especially on FB. Still not voting for Hillary. Nope.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  14. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

I'd vote for her if I was a US citizen - she's a progressive - that's all I need - 1000000x better than that deadbeat Trump.

15. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

The problem is when we rather forcefully put forward our political views / favored candidates, and/or people feel the need to defend their own choices. I hear what you're all saying but yes, maybe it's time we moved on...?

My American History class is joining the school fundraising Lipsynch Competition next week as a class, with 'Guns and Ships' and 'Yorktown'. They're throwing in dance moves and hockey stick bayonet fights, so should be a lot of fun. :) Hopefully my debating champion Lafayette will pull off the rap segments. My Hamilton is female - hey, she knew all the lyrics! :)

16. groovetpt

Some random food for thought...
    upload_2016-8-6_23-55-47.jpeg
    Voter Registration Statistics Data
    Total number of Americans eligible to vote 218,959,000
    Total number of Americans registered to vote 146,311,000
    Total number of Americans who voted in the 2012 Presidential election 126,144,000
    Percent of Americans who voted in the 2012 Presidential election 57.5 %

I'm no math whiz but it seems that approximately 93,000,000 ( 42.5 % ) eligible American voters did NOT vote for President in 2012.

What if something even close to 100% voted in 2016? Would there be a real change from the status quo? Would, say, that 1% tipping point we hear about for DT become moot? Would swing states really swing in the musical sense? Could a true progressive win?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    matty likes this.
  17. bailar y tocar

No

18. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

My favorite Olympic interview was with the Australian female hockey player who, when asked the "So, what's next?" question, replied "I guess I'll have to get a job" :)

Dang, I have another salsa social Saturday night; 11am hockey game on Sunday. This is cruel.

19. bailar y tocar

Bike trail closed. No detour available. Turn around the way I came? Not! Then I am thigh deep in mud with my heavy trail bike on my shoulder and sinking :eek:.

I pull back out and luckily the Mississippi River is right there. So I dip in each leg to wash off the mud, then cross the construction site the way all others did it: down a steep embankment, cross the ditch, then up again and all with my heavy trail bike on my shoulder. I continued my ride with mostly mud free legs but wet shoes and socks.

I should have been into cross biking, then this would have been a normal part of the course.:p

20160821_131331.jpg

azana likes this.
  20. DJ El Chino

DJ El Chino Changui

Too much negative propaganda in politics and too many people who believe it!