Popularity of Maykel Blanco y su Salsa Mayor

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Oct 8, 2014.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Just back from their European tour the new official video of "Mi mulata en La Habana". In August they go to Santiago de Chile & Argentina. Maykel Fonts will be with them in Argentina.

EDIT: You may recognize Yanet Fuentes in the video :)

UchimaSalsa and kbitten like this.
  2. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I like this one! :D

timberamayor likes this.
  3. timberamayor

Not about their popularity per se but a split screen video from a recent concert in Cali and video after the bus accident on the way to Bogotá, which fortunately didn't result in fatalities but a lot of injuries. they postponed the Bogotá concert until Friday may 5th

4. timberamayor

5. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I must say I am shocked. This is first timba band where from 5 frontmen 2 can actually sing. They also trade places at keyboard.

6. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

And they had a lot of energy! :eek:

timberamayor likes this.
  7. timberamayor

LOL I am not going to take that as an insult to timba bands in general ;)

Which ones can sing in your opinion? I put videos in case you don't know who is who. Maykel really has too hoarse a voice but that doesn't stop him from singing :) As far as I know all 4 of the lead singers can actually sing.

Yordis?

Javier?

Kasanova?

Yunier "El Chino"? - couldn't find a live version of this song. Bands almost always do playback on Cuban TV.

Maykel's been doing the trading off on piano for a while. He used to do it with Alexis-David who is now with Charanga Habanera.

8. Smejmoon

Take it as a compliment. From all half a dozen top timba bands I've seen, only Havana d primera and calle real had good singers. So this time I was pleasantly surprised.
    On the downside, we also got maykel fonts singing and taking selfies on the stage.

I'm not against bad singing, it's just contrast to how good are instrumentalists in timba bands.
    And most of the time they don't even try. They just do shoutouts and beg for applause. Like seriously, if they could move crowd, people would scream and clap and sing along.

timberamayor likes this.
  9. timberamayor

Ah so you got to see M-squared :)
    Which bands have you seen other than HdP, Calle Real and MB?

10. Smejmoon

Top of the head, Manolito y su Trabuco, awesome band, bad singers, Adalberto Alvarez y su Son, nice singers, not really timbastic. Elio Reve y su Charangon, Puppy y something something.

11. timberamayor

I haven't seen Manolito since the Rodriguez brothers joined. You would have liked them better when Sixto Llorente "El Indio" was with them. Some people have a really hard time with Ricardo Amaray's singing and his R&B stylings.

I am curious about who the singers were when you saw the groups. Both Orquesta Revé and Pupy usually have good singers. And it's Pupy y los que son son :)

12. Smejmoon

Does that mean anything :D

Anyway I've different explanations, because some of these bands sounds ok in recordings. But live is live. So many things can go wrong. On another hand, if you have 4 singers.. I expect at least one to be able to sing, so Maykel Blanco band has it. Which is great. Timba lovers love this band for a reason. I'm just putting this out for salsa lovers - band is good, go see them if you have chance. For mambo lovers - dj plays downstairs, lol. Actually had to help some people in pain.

13. timberamayor

I suppose it can mean more than 1 thing. the most obvious would be "those who are son" as a reference to the music. Although Pupy plays songo - based on son of course - but another way of looking at it would be something like "those who are, are" (while those who aren't, aren't) Kind of like if you've got it you've got it, if you don't you don't. I've never actually seen anywhere where Pupy talked about the meaning of the band name.

Sabrosura likes this.
  14. timberamayor

Salsa Mayor feat Papucho on bass on one of my favorite songs.

EDIT: This is actually a "new" singer to me Altides Landa. So I am assuming he's one of the ones you thought could sing with SM @Smejmoon ?

EDIT 2: Oh in case people don't know Papucho is the bandleader of Papucho y Manana Club

EDIT 3: You can see Alfonso and Papucho taking turns on bass about halfway through.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM
  15. Smejmoon

Hmm.. don't you think band would sound better, if he would not have a microphone? ;)

timberamayor likes this.
  16. Smejmoon

Btw what's the deal with sunglasses in studio shots? Just for vanity or too much cocaine? They can't be all sick.

17. timberamayor

I think mainly vanity although having not been on stage myself that often I don't know if sometimes the spotlights might bother ones eyes. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt :)

Sabrosura likes this.
  18. timberamayor

You mean Maykel or Alitdes?

Smejmoon likes this.