Overplayed songs in your scene

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by elanimal, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Lol believe it or not I love this song! I discovered it this summer when I was looking for fun reggaeton songs to do some dance workouts to (I was in a salsa desert this summer), and this song was one of them. I wouldn't ever want to dance salsa to it, but as a standalone reggaeton song it's super fun to go crazy to. :) Here's the dance workout I had found:

And if you speak Spanish, the lyrics are suuuuper double-entendre (those Cubans... :p ) I find myself laughing out loud every time they go "Me lo paro...el taxi" :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

[​IMG]

(Saw it before the edit! :p)

3. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

So this picture is so large that when you first scroll down to your answer and see just the top pointing finger...I'll leave it at that :p

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  4. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Dancehall version

Sabrosura likes this.
  5. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

It was overplayed in Cuba too when I was there in March. By the time I went back in June they had gotten over it :p

mlemonl likes this.
  6. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

They all sound equally bad to me :p I'll just go back to calling them all xylophones :p

Edit: I went and educated myself on Wikipedia. So the marimba is a subtype of xylophone, which is an example of percussion sticks, which are a subcategory of the percussion idiophones, which are a category of the directly struck idiophones (another category is made up by the concussion idiophones such as the clave!); and the percussion plaques (such as the vibes) are a different subcategory of the percussion idiophones.
    So if I call all these things xylophones I have a 2/3 chance of getting it right :p

7. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

I appreciate you trying :) But I doubt I'll ever enjoy vibes/xylophones/marimbas, it's just one of those things that turn me off the music immediately. Think of hearing nails scratching a chalkboard, that's pretty much how I feel when I hear VXMs. :p

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  8. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

@elanimal about HK Mambo: I'm not trying to make you like the song, everything is subjective. But maybe you can take a look at the likes/thumbs up and comments on the many vids of this song on YT (make it easier by sorting them by view count). That is just a snippet of how people feel about this song and TP. Just maaaybe you're missing out on something here?

9. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes! Whenever 'El Taxi' is played, all I hear is 'Murder She Wrote', so I struggle to hear it or take it seriously as a song on its own. However, I have used the Taxi dance for some fun when teaching my Latin Dance elective at school; my girls really enjoy it.

When it comes on and a host of less serious salsa dancers flock to the dance floor eager to show their familiarity with the Taxi moves at the weekly Sunday social, which tends to be half half-serious salsa and half Latin club (I was having a lovely dance with a nice lead last time I was there when I suddenly realised he was necking me, lol :)) I do snobbishly regard it as rather corny.

10. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

The world is doomed :p

EMOYENO and DJ Yuca like this.
  11. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Ha ha, well Sabs loves it so I can't be too off the mark.

Sabrosura likes this.
  12. DJ Yuca

That's the original, I also have this killer take (on vinyl of course) from when I was DJing back in the day:

azana likes this.
  13. DJ Yuca

Maybe the DJs need to turn the treble down on the amp or mixer they use? When I listen to it on a decent sound system the trumpets are fine.

14. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

I know I know... I'm aware it's beloved, for a friend of mine it's his favorite song and I think he'd request it on occasion (maybe he was the source of it being overplayed?). The marimba, which is actually TP playing, and the very end, is really really nice. My only problem is the trumpets. That song in particular just takes the cake, for me, as the most overrated salsa song ever. But that's another thread, jajaja.

This is not saying TP is overrated. Several of my favorites are his ('Dónde vas' and his take on 'Take five'). But in my humble and uneducated opinion, if you really want to go with the Asian theme, pretty much the same feel and sentiment without the ear-bleeding trumpets, look no further than Asia Mood or Japan Mambo.

If either of those became overplayed in place of HK Mambo, I'd be happy. But especially Japan Mambo.

MAMBO_CEC, mlemonl and lidiap like this.
  15. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

I love La Playa Sextet's 'Hong Kong Mambo' :) (no marimba :p ) How do you feel about the trumpets in this one @elanimal :p

16. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

How to make a "cover " sound different,,,,

17. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

:rolleyes:

Slowdance likes this.
  18. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Can't get enough of this .....NOT

elanimal and mlemonl like this.
  19. MAMBO_CEC