Overplayed songs in your scene

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by elanimal, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Me too (the right tracks of course - which are not necessarily the rarest ones).

MAMBO_CEC and lidiap like this.
  2. DJ Yuca

I wouldn't listen to this at home or play it at a salsa night, but at least it's Latin and gets Colombians going crazy. In my book that makes it a hell of a lot better than any of the 'salsa for people who don't like Latin music' type non-salsa tunes that get rinsed because 'salsa.dancers' who don't like salsa music love doing turn patterns to them. (A depressing sight.)

cachondea likes this.
  3. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

You take it back!!! :(

Slowdance, MAMBO_CEC and mlemonl like this.
  4. cachondea

cachondea Son

haha, I'm relatively new to the scene and wouldn't dare. I'm trying to request the dj into submission - from time to time i'll ask for salsa dura songs and he often keeps them in his playlist and they get played over and over again, HA! and, thankfully, there are also guest djs with different playlists. Also, this dj "built the scene" in the town years ago, so if anything, I'm grateful. The choice is not: good salsa or bad salsa, but mediocre salsa or no salsa. And "no salsa" is "no option" for me.

and honestly: what am I expecting? My regular salsa scene is a mid-size town in Austria, and I'm not talking Vienna. Most people simply do not care that much about salsa MUSIC, though some of them are technically advanced and can interpret songs quite well. There are only a few latinos around and most of them prefer to dance reaggeaton.

[Which reminds me of:

another gem that I get to hear. Every. time. All the times there are.]

Anyway: almost nobody speaks Spanish or grew up with latin sounds. While this is not a prerequisite for developing preferences / caring about the music, there seems to be less of an emotional connection to the music in my scene, compared with the one in which I started out in the US where the latin element felt more organic. Most people here don't mind horrible covers and like the English songs.

If I want to dance, I have to put up with the music, which is not always that bad. If I want the music, I'll cling to my salsa life support in my car and at home. I'm an improver myself, it's not my place to educate anyone on music preference, and I will take anything I get - if the song is so bad that I can't get lost in it, I can work on executing my turns better, or dance with beginners who don't notice the music anyway, frantically searching for the elusive 1,2,3 (shame on me for being so calculating :D ).

I will be moving to Vienna soon where there are more venues to choose from. :D I hope Usher'll forgive me.

Slowdance, Sabrosura and elanimal like this.
  5. DJ Yuca

As someone correctly pointed out last time we had this discussion: it's marimba not vibes in HK Mambo.

6. Offbeat

Offbeat ¡WEPA!

I don't get out that often. In last 4-5 years while the quality of dancing has been on the downward trend, the DJs are on upward trend. We have many different DJs and they all play pretty good salsa music - from obscure to common ones. But I am hard put to say if any particular song is being overplayed. Closest that would come to being overplayed would be "Ain't no sunshine" but I say that only because I heard it last three times I went out dancing (of which one was not a mambo event). In my scene you can either go to salsa night or mambo night. You can also go to a latin night which abound or cuban salsa nights, neither of which I go to or know much about. I don't go to salsa nights either (80% straight up salsa, 20% bachata, no reggaeton and almost no timba). I mostly go to mambo socials where we have both local and visiting DJs (our scene tends to get a lot of good visiting DJs every month).

Thankfully *fingers crossed* I never hear above when I go out dancing, unless it is outdoors street salsa festival. I have observed these kinds getting thrown out more at the outdoors salsa events (which usually means one or two local bands playing with DJs music between the sets) and they are often hosted by non-regular organizers. They can be fun, but I don't find regular slot/linear dancers patronizing them (in last 5-6 years, use to be different before), unless it is one of the couple of big annual outdoor salsa events. Cuban dancers seem to come out more for the smaller outdoor salsa events.

lidiap likes this.
  7. DJ Yuca

I actually like El Taxi believe it or not (a little bit anyway) - but at a salsa night? No way.

8. cachondea

cachondea Son

well, for keeping the - mostly younger - latino crowd happy and thus preserving the "latin dance" atmosphere the salsa night is sold on, the dj has to cater for them with these kinds of songs (including Ras Tas Tas, so I'm sorry, @Dissonant Harmony, I'M still the one who knocks!) later at night.

9. mlemonl

mlemonl Son Montuno

I remember it being one of the songs that inspired me to start learning on2. Also heard it back in the day where I couldn't really distinguish well between all the music genres but this definitely stood out to me as being distinct. I don't think I hear this song enough either but maybe it's different for mambo-heavy venues.

DJ Yuca, MAMBO_CEC and lidiap like this.
  10. mlemonl

mlemonl Son Montuno

cachondea likes this.
  11. cachondea

cachondea Son

YES! it's everywhere!
    whereas i have yet to hear this malecon in my scene:

elanimal likes this.
  12. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

@DJ Yuca @lidiap @cachondea very interesting reaction to HK Mambo. I don't mind the marimba. It's the trumpets that sound absolutely garish, and garish is the most fitting word to describe them. Look up 'garish' in the dictionary and you will actually hear the HK Mambo trumpets. Can someone tell me how you're supposed to dance to those trumpet 'hits' without seeming like you're having an epileptic seizure? It's not about the songs 'jazziness,' it's just those trumpets, which quite literally make me wince and physically make me want to cover my ears, especially when the volume is way too loud in the venue. So, given it's the trumpets, technically it's not even really TP's fault. Jeje. Still, I have unapologetically given it one star in my library. Sorry, TP.

Meanwhile, some songs will be great and run the risk of getting overplayed, like El Preso, Llorarás, etc. A recent one that's making the rounds in almost every social I go to in NY or Boston is none other than Timbalaye:

Now this is the good type of overplay. I'm very happy when the song comes on because it's beast, and the girls are typically very happy with the outcome. However, the frequency with which it's played does have some people with slightly bored faces.

So, there's a competition for worst overplayed song, but I'd like if people can post even the good overplayed songs, especially because, if a song is considered 'good,' again, what is the threshold for it being overplayed? Truth be told, Boston doesn't suffer as much as some people have listed here. About the worst offender you'll hear is on this level, salsaton, which is definitely overplayed (at non-socials... if it played at a social, there'd be a revolt...)

mlemonl likes this.
  13. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

One possibility: you draw out whatever movement you're doing at that moment, and then end it sharply as the trumpet hit ends (but not forcefully -- no need for seizures :p ). Could be something as simple as a step to the side in closed position, drawn out through the trumpet.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  14. elanimal

elanimal Tumbao

Another possibility:

[​IMG]

Slowdance likes this.
  15. Sabrosura

You're welcome :p

elanimal likes this.
  16. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

I still like that song, although it's overplayed. Still a few people blowing through the breaks though.

EMOYENO and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  17. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Add me to that list of those you have blasphemed against. Those there trumpets are nectar to the ears of the mambo gods..Nuff said.

18. MAMBO_CEC

Dude, puro oro!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Slowdance and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  19. Sabrosura

Nicely done!! You're getting better and better at this poetic salsa language stuff :) We already have a salsa author here on SF but doesn't hurt to have another one :)

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  20. MAMBO_CEC

Stuff just comes out. Writing.....naw. Too much bad grammar and typos.

Sabrosura likes this.