Other Music that I'm listening to....

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by memphis salsero, Sep 27, 2005.

1. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

A song I really like at the moment is "I Prefer Rock'n'Roll" by Remi Nicole.

2. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy Pattern Police

Estelle - Shine

I liked the single American Boy and the album's fun

3. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

bump..(procrastination galore this afternoon)

-Various Artists, Authenticité the Syliphone Years 1965-80 (Guinea-Konakry)
    -Boban i Marko Markovic Orkestar, Live in Belgrade & Promise (Serbia)
    -Toumani Diabate Symmetric Orchestra, Boulevard de l'Independance (Mali)
    -Hugh Masekela, Live at the Marketplace Theatre (South Africa)
    -Lura, M'bem di Fora (Cap Verde/Portugal)

4. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Nadia Ali hits spun by the glorious deepdish

5. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Rhythm Deputy

6. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

The Stone Roses, Michael Jackson.

7. HothouseSalsero

To some extent Janelle Monae is Michael Jackson meets the Stone Roses. (Well, very loosely. I hear more Stevie Wonder in her music, actually. But soul/funk/r&b and rock/psychedelia, definitely.)

8. salsatron

salsatron Changui

I am totally addicted to the music of Andrew Rosborough right now.

He has an awesome album called The Umbrella Parade that I urge anyone whop loves great music to hear.

His style is somewhat reminiscent of Jason Mraz only better, really what an incredible album.[​IMG]

9. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

BB King - Live In Cook County Jail

An absolute classic . . .

10. andreiro

andreiro Son Montuno

11. bailar y tocar

Will be off to a concert by Malian band "Tinariwen" in about an hour.

I have seen live shows of Malian bands Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba, Toumani Diabate and the Symmetric Orchestra in the past. These African bands pull out all the stops.

12. El Conguero

El Conguero Tumbao

Christian music to a Latin beat, mostly Puerto Rican-influenced

I love Puerto Rico's music - plena, reggaetón, bomba, jibaro music, etc. PR also has its own varieties of salsa, merengue and guaracha. Also as a Christian I really enjoy artists whose music is about things that matter to Christians. Some of my favorite artists are Funky, Manny Montes and Triple Seven (reggaetón), Unción Tropical and Giovanni Rios (merengue), Booby Cruz and Ricardo Rodriguez (SALSA!) :D

13. bailar y tocar

Went to a concert by the jazz trio "The Bad Plus" my 3rd time in 3 years. They are always in town for the xmas holidays and play at my favorite jazz venue in town which is where they got their start 10 years ago. Amazing how they create a canopy of sound with so many layers with "just" a drumkit, piano and bass. At times it feels like the piano is off in a syncopated funk and the drums are dissonant and then you pick up on the bass and get the structure of it all and then it just changes again. Phenomenal.

http://online. wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703581204576033504267755170.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Richie Blondet likes this.
  14. bailar y tocar

Cumbia

Received a set of ~100+ Cumbia mp3s. I have always liked some cumbia and am finding that several of the tunes are quite nice:
    La Sonora Dinamita: me gustas tu, las brujas, ay chave, yo soy la cumbia

Cumbia Latin Band (electronic instruments not my fav but a few songs work): el africano, tu la tienes que pagar (cumbiapop), cumbia de los monjes (cumbia & gregorian chant & hip-hop vocals)

But nothing beats the theme song of La Feria de Cali 2011 by ex Grupo Niche singer Javier Vazqez: Salud

15. HothouseSalsero

I haven't felt as excited by an American rock bands for 25-30 years as I am now about Company of Thieves, but I strongly recommend checking out their live recordings on youtube or elsewhere, as they generally pack more punch than the studio recordings. I am blind-sided by just how hard I have fallen for this band.

[yt]

16. bailar y tocar

October has been an amazing month for live music (jazz and salsa) around here, concerts I have been to:

Oct 6:Septeto Nacional de Ignacio Pineiro (Son/Salsa - Cuba)
    Founded in 1927 by Ignacio Piñeiro Martínez, Septeto Nacional is widely considered to be the flagship of Cuban traditional music and is the group credited with evolving and popularizing the sound of Cuban son—one of the most influential and widespread forms of Latin American music. Septeto Nacional is made up of Eugenio “El Raspa” R. Rodríguez (vocals), Francisco D. Oropesa-Fernández (bongo), Enrique Collazo (Cuban tres guitar), Dagoberto Sacerio Oliva (guitar/vocals), Agustín Someillán García (trumpet), Raúl Acea Rivera (contrabass), and Julio Martínez Hernández (maracas/vocals). This current configuration invokes the spirit of Havana from the 1920s in their music, while delivering the lush smooth sounds of contemporary Cuba to its audience.

Oct 17:Bela Fleck with the Marcus Roberts Trio (Jason Marsalis on percussion!) (Jazz- with strings)
    Bela Fleck is often considered the premier banjo player in the world. A New York City native, he picked up the banjo at age 15 after being awed by the bluegrass music of Flatt & Scruggs. While still in high school he began experimenting with playing bebop jazz on his banjo, mentored by fellow banjo renegade Tony Trischka. In 1980, he released his first solo album, Crossing the Tracks, with material that ranged from straight ahead bluegrass to Chick Corea’s “Spain.” In 1982, Fleck joined the progressive bluegrass band New Grass Revival, making a name for himself on countless solo and ensemble projects ever since as a virtuoso instrumentalist. In 1989 he formed the genre-busting Flecktones, with members equally talented and adventurous as himself.
    belafleck.com
    The Marcus Roberts Trio, led by Roberts on piano, Jason Marsalis on drums and Rodney Jordan on bass, are keen torch-holders of the classic jazz tradition. The mix of these four,— Roberts, Fleck, Jordan, Marsalis—create a new way forward in jazz, deeply rooted in the form, while pulling from the extensive backgrounds and music journeys of all the members—creating stellar performances that are exuberant, fresh, soaring, bold, and, of course, eclectic.
    The Marcus Roberts Trio is known for its virtuosic style – a style that is strongly rhythmic, melodic, and filled with dynamic contrast. This trio has an entirely new approach to jazz trio performance. The group was founded in 1995, and 15 years later, they are known around the world for their signature trio style. Roberts’ vision of the jazz trio grew rapidly following the selection of drummer Jason Marsalis for the drum chair in 1994 (when Jason was just 17). Bassist Rodney Jordan is the most recent addition to the trio and his profound musical intelligence has already left its mark on the trio’s sound.

Oct 21:Dobet Gnahore and her ensemble (Afrobeat- Ivory Coast)
    Dobet Gnahore, the Ivory Coast vocalist and dancer who has garnered a reputation as one of the most vibrant performers in world music. Dobet, who won the BBC Radio 3 Awards for World Music 2006 “Best Newcomer”, made her North American debut in the fall of 2006 in Putumayo Presents: Acoustic Africa, alongside Habib Koite and Vusi Mahlasela. In 2010 Dobet Gnahoré won the Grammy for Best Urban/Alternative Performance for the song “Pearls” in collaboration with India.Arie.
    Ivory Coast bassist and vocalist Manou Gallo has gained acclaim as the bassist for Zap Mama, whose own music draws on rhythms of West Africa as well as funk and R&B.
    Kareyce Fotso is a young Cameroonian singer whose music is an intriguing combination of Afro-pop, Blues, and traditional African music.
    Leni Stern, the acclaimed American contemporary guitarist who gained increasingly wide acclaim since releasing four recordings of African influenced material, joins with musical direction. These exciting singers will be backed by an all-star band including Ivorian balafonist Aly Keita (Omar Sosa, Joe Zawinul).

Oct 23: Kurt Elling (eclectic Vocal Jazz)
    Chicago-based vocalist Kurt Elling is one of the most acclaimed figures in jazz. His voice, rich and bold, is always interesting, and his musical ideas emerge fully formed on record and in person. His constant goal is to do something new in vocal jazz, and this often leads to exciting results for his ensemble and his fans. He is one of the rare artists to have received a Grammy nomination for every record he has released.
    a lot to read at kurtelling.com
    “Since the mid-1990s, no singer in jazz has been as daring, dynamic, or interesting as Kurt Elling. With his soaring vocal flights, his edgy lyrics and sense of being on a musical mission, he has come to embody the creative spirit in jazz.” -Washington Post
    Elling was born and raised in Northern Illinois, and his early musical experiences occurred at church and in school. While attending Gustavus Adolphus University in St. Peter, MN, Elling became interested in jazz while working on a history degree. Upon his return to Chicago, he began singing in clubs while working on a graduate degree. His weekly appearances at the Green Mill gained regional interest in his work. He decided to pursue vocal jazz just short of finishing his degree, and quickly landed a recording contract with Blue Note. He released six albums over eight years with Blue Note, each of them receiving a Grammy nomination.
    Lately the awards have been stacking up for Elling: he has won the Down Beat Critics Poll 11 times in a row, the Jazz Journalists Association Male Singer of the Year Award six times, and he recently received the Nightlife Award for Outstanding Jazz Vocalist in a Major Engagement. After eight nominations, he earned the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album. The winning album, “Dedicated to You,” was inspired by the classic 1963 recording “John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman” featuring the legendary saxophonist and jazz vocalist.
    2012 sees Kurt touring in support of his latest recording, 1619 Broadway: the Brill Building Project. The Brill Building, described by the London Telegraph as “the most important generator of popular songs in the Western world,” applied the concept of professional songwriters to popular music. Elling pays homage to the classic songwriting teams of Lieber and Stoller (“Stand By Me”), Goffen and King (“Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?”), Mann and Weil (“You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling”), Bacharach and David (“Walk On By”), and other incredible songs created at the Brill Building.

Oct 26: Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz band (Salsa/Cha-Cha) and an amazing sound system at the venue. We could talk normal conversation while dancing right in front of the stage. The music went over us into the auditorium, awesome.

Next up: Oct 30: Maria Schneider Orchestra (big band all female Jazz band)
    Maria Schneider’s music has been hailed by critics as “evocative, majestic, magical, heart-stoppingly gorgeous, and beyond categorization.” She and her orchestra became widely known starting in 1994 when they released their first recording, ‘Evanescence.’ With that recording, Schneider began to develop her personal way of writing for her 17-member collective, tailoring her compositions to distinctly highlight the unique voices of the group. Subsequently, the Maria Schneider Orchestra has performed at festivals and concert halls worldwide. She herself has received numerous commissions and guest conducting invites, working with over 85 groups from over 30 countries spanning Europe, South America, Australia, Asia and North America.
    “…she puts together stories that speak with the clarity of Ernest Hemingway and the musical grace of Aaron Copland.” -Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Schneider and her orchestra have a distinguished recording career with nine Grammy nominations and two Grammy awards. ‘Concert in the Garden’ (Best Large Ensemble Album), released only through her ArtistShare website, became historic as the first record to win a Grammy with internet-only sales. The second Grammy was awarded for Maria’s composition, Cerulean Skies (Best Instrumental Composition).

17. bailar y tocar

Another amazing show with amazing artists: Ballaké Sissoko (Mali/Paris) & Vincent Segal (Paris) stopped in at The Cedar Cultural Ctr, a live music venue in town. Clips from other shows:

18. GroovyMambo

GroovyMambo Sonero

Very nice! Have you listened to Ablaye Cissoko and Volker Goetze? You'll likely enjoy their music.

19. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

When 'Salsa' isn't on the menu, this is what I listen to...

DJ Yuca likes this.
  20. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Halcyon days:

matty, DJ Ara and Richie Blondet like this.