On2: 26 ladies' techniques and 9 men's techniques

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Sina, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Sina

Sina Changui

Dear all,

I read/heard that - according to Eddie Torres - there are 26 techniques for ladies and 9 techniques for men (partnering).
    I think i know many of them.
    But i would like to get this straight in
    my head.

Could anybody help me with this?
    There is no need to explain the different techniques, i am just interested in the correct names and the order.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. I am not even sure I understand what you are talking about.

3. LarsM

LarsM Sonero

Maybe you could start by listing the techniques you know of Sina? Should be interesting.

Smejmoon likes this.
  4. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Please list the ones you think you know, before I respond to your question..

vit and Smejmoon like this.
  5. terence

Funny , I just posted same..

LarsM likes this.
  6. Looks like you've opened the gates of an interesting (perhaps heated?) thread.
    *Grabs popcorn*.

---

*Now, seriously, what does "26 techniques for ladies and 9 techniques for men (partnering)" even mean? Is it like some sort of a syllabus? "Here are titles of 26 things that a lady should master?"

Smejmoon likes this.
  7. Sina

Sina Changui

Haha, "interesting" and "hated" ... maybe.

"It" is a kind of a syllabus. Two different instructors mentioned it. And yes, i tried to figure out more about it. But there was not much time to ask.
    For instance, a hook on 2 or a right turn, that are two (of the 26) techniques for ladies.

I hoped to find someone here, who has heard the same/was educated in that way. Why ? Because i found another thread at salsaforums and someone listed the names of more than 100 shines in a very professional way.

However, there is no need to hate this thread and spend time on discussing whether it is necessary to know the names of the techniques to be a good dancer.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  8. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

He said heated not hated. (We're not quite that extreme.)

Sina and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  9. Sina

Sina Changui

... Good to know . sorry, my mistake ☺️.

DJ Yuca likes this.
  10. terence

Those are NOT techniques per se, but are methods of rotation.
    The " hook " as you call it comes from Lindy, and is a standard variation in Swing dances and Bolero .Its form has been used , as a different method from a standard walk around turn .
    These are the standard techn. that are common to pretty much all dances, and each plays a significant role in the execution of specific steps if used appropriately.

1...Footwork
    2... Foot position
    3... Amount of turn
    4... CBM
    There are others, but they are more B/room oriented. These are the 4 things, that enable us to get the best results from a simple approach.

Other applications mat have technical applications that are not always shared with others .Now if that is what you mean by the numbers you quoted, then they may become more like opinions, and are often moot..
    Without any single one the 4 listed, your dancing will be affected.
    There are of course other aspects like Frame and balance that are part of the "dance " process , but those may be subjective .

11. Sina

Sina Changui

Dear Terence,

thanks for your answer! You are right. But: My thread is about techniques in regard to partnering/partnerwork.

The correct name of the "Technique" partnerwork is not "hook on 6" but "Walkthrough left turn into a hook on 6" (=one of the 26 techniques for ladies). I did not write it correctly.... not thinking enough about it.... and here we are: i was not accurate enough. You gave me a nice info about the hook that i really like ;). Thank you ! (I am very interested in this things). But my question is still not answered.

Let´s see, if someone can and wants to write about things, which some people might not like to share ;). "It" is just about names. It does not include the details of correct execution of the particular technique.

12. -Similarly to what Terence, it appears to me that those "techniques" are just list of basic moves.

-I am bit quite sure what is the aim if this thread. Why are you so intrigued by those names? Are you planning to analyse ET's Syllabus or teaching methods?

13. Sina

Sina Changui

lol ! I do not think that I am in a position to analyse ET´s Syllabus or teaching methods. In addition to that i cannot see any reason for doing this.

I just want to understand the basic system. There is a lot of knowledge in my head and I believe that structure would be helpful.

Peepz, don´t worry, be happy and help me, if you can and want.

14. terence

Once you go into an apart/open position, you have little control over the ladies actions, other than when and where, you make your transitions , and even then, if she has not been "schooled ", you may not get the responses you wish for, so all the tips you may get, may be of little purpose if your own dance level is lacking in basic skills .

So, to help you in your "search " , read below..

The quality of your dance, has a great bearing on how the lady follows, and without any visual evidence , it's nigh impossible to advise you .

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  15. Sina

Sina Changui

Thus there are only leaders who discuss this topic, maybe you can help me with the leaders "stuff":
    Two of the nine techniques for men/leaders are:
    Cbl (with or without open break)
    3 o'clock right turn

Which other patterns/partnerwork techniques for men do you know?

16. LarsM

LarsM Sonero

This is a weird thread, that much I know.

17. What you describe sounds to me more like a method that helps beginners construct combinations by "amalgamating" 'bits' (which you called: 'Techniques').
    and less like a theory that helps you understand how this dance works.

It appears to me that what you are seeking may be valuable to any teacher who wants some reference, to create a syllabus, that can quickly 'produce' dancers who spam turn patterns.

I, however, can't seem to understand how this helps with sorting your knowledge.

*Sorry for being unhelpful, I am not familiar with that ET's method which you've described, But I do know some syllabi that appear similar. Their results are usually quick, yet shallow. Reason being: While the students are capable of executing different patterns, they can't make sense of out them, nor can they understand or explain what goes wrong should the occasion arises. Moreover: Since they do not "understand the rules", but just remember many different, individual patterns, to each his own individual "steps" - what that first starts as an easy, clean and organized method to help students do patterns without bothering them with the details, actually ends up being too complicated and detailed, for unnecessary reasons).

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  18. terence

A CBL is NOT ( Nor is the turn ) a techn.. it's a variation. HOW you lead and where when, is closer to your post, but even then , they are suggestions..

Simply put ; Techniques, are "methods " that enable dancers ( in ALL disciplines ) to convert motion from A to B with minimum effort for maximum results.. How, and where we place are feet , have techn., how to develop CB , has techn.

STEPs are NOT techn, but what we apply to them , is..

LarsM and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  19. Sina

Sina Changui

Obviously you do not like my question . You are trying to put it in the cathgory "ridiculous". That can only be a question of a beginner of somebody who does not know the really important things about salsa or of somebody who is a terrible dancer.
    Or maybe she wants to get knowlege for buisness or she wants to analyse E.T. ...

That might have the effect, that you discourage others. Isn't it just possible to stick to the question even if the answer is: i don't know. My hope is, to find someone who wants and can answer.

If "that" are not techniques for you. Then it is o.k.. I think my examples show the direction of my question clearly.

I am really fascinated of the "salsa creations" of some good leaders. Following is the most important. And to become a good dancer there is much more to know than the answer to my question. Maybe i would like to be able to express with words what i danced. That is my situation right now: "it was a wt someting into this thing where you do this or that..". I think there is a more professional way to express.

Well, some brains like to use words for others it is not important. Both is o.k. As long as it works. But i think we should tolerate each system.

If you tell me, that my question is totally irrelevant for dancing, then it is your opinion. But please could you tolerate, that it might be different for me.

i think i wrote too much about other things than the topic. But i invested time ... i will send it.

20. simbaaa

simbaaa Changui

Do you mean basic shapes like inside turn, outside turn, 360, copa etc, each of which have hundreds of variations, i.e. outside turn with right hand, with left hand, with hammerlock etc?