Not sure what to do in this dance position

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by herringbone, Feb 28, 2017.

1. herringbone

herringbone Changui

Not sure what the position is called, but basically the lead and follower are facing each other, open position. The lead stops dancing, stands still and holds the followers hands up like he's holding something heavy -- this allows the follower to use his arms as leverage. I guess the follower should be doing some sort of shines or something. In my experience, the lead usually stands there for like 4+ measures of the song and I don't really know what to do!

So questions:
    1.What is this position called?
    2. Can anyone give some tips or videos on moves you can do as a follower when put in this position by the lead?

Thanks in advance!

2. vit

vit Clave Commander

It was called T-stance from my remembering. Not that popular as it was 10 years ago I think, at least in my venue ...
    What to do ... assume the same pose as leader and pretend to expect from him to do stuff he is expecting from you ... :) otherwise do some suzzy-qs and similar stuff or improvise some other way... a few years ago, it was also popular here for the follower to turn the back to him and do some ganchos tango style

one of examples (I'm sure there are better than this out there)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Smejmoon likes this.
  3. herringbone

herringbone Changui

Thanks! Very helpful - and actually just knowing the name allows me to find a ton of information on Google as well!! Yeah, what the lady is doing in the video is what I was looking for. Although it would be funny to try to backlead the leader in to it too! :D

4. mlemonl

mlemonl Son Montuno

Even Ahtoy can't make this move seem appealing.

But ymmv I guess.

5. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

The dude is not helping. For this move to work well lead has to act as a support. When he takes some weight off the follow, then she can dance with lower gravity and do what she was not able to do without support.

6. BMorin

BMorin Son

Yeah, the leader in the video seems to be too stiff. He should still be shifting his weight to counter-balance the follower and at least showing some matching shoulder movement or something!

The move gets pretty old fast, hence it tends to come in and our of favor. Personally, I like leading it when I'm dancing with someone who's clearly experienced and engaged but doesn't have a lot of salsa experience. They usually bite and do something more interesting than I could lead into them.

Offbeat likes this.
  7. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

I wouldn't worry too much about this move, to be honest. It's old, overdone, and won't do much for your overall progress as a salsa dancer.

Just my 2c

Offbeat likes this.
  8. HiJackSalsa

HiJackSalsa Son Montuno

in theory: u can do any of your shines and can play with tango-esque leg sweepy stuff

in practice. to a couple of cross over steps and then just drop and slide ur leg inbetween the guys legs... in my experience that seems to be all the guy who is 'leading' this move is looking or for this move to be considered 'complete'

9. owldancer

owldancer Son Montuno

I once saw a video in which the woman flipped the hand-hold so that she was now the one supporting and jokingly gave him a look for him to start impressing her. They laughed it off, and if you don't like the move as a follow, maybe you can use that as an exit.

10. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

This is actually taught??? First time I am witnessing it being taught!

11. Offbeat

One option is to flip her over in a wrestling style move at the end of it :p

But seriously, don't bother with this move. You don't have to do it. You won't miss anything in your dancing by doing it.

Jag75 likes this.
  12. Offbeat

Not only in that video, he looked stiff in his dancing in general. But the key thing is 'looks stiff' to an outsider.

13. vit

vit Clave Commander

Well, he looks like an observer in this video. But is anything wrong with it :)

14. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

aka bum-watch

15. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Agreed. It's a horrible move.

Jag75 likes this.
  16. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

That's not the T-Stance - the hesitation is fine but the T-Stance, where the girl is facing away, is a show move only imho.

17. Del Dominguez

Del Dominguez Changui

In Chicago, this was rampant...thank the universe it's gone......

Jag75 and DJ Yuca like this.
  18. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

Yep - nobody does it here anymore either.