New timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor El Sabroso de Conguero

New video by MB & su SM. One of the songs off the new CD - and quite a good song at that. Funny video.

2. BullitproofSoul

BullitproofSoul Shine Officer

Lol, I love animated videos in general, but this one takes the cake :)

Great video, great song. Alot of fun

Slowdance and timberamayor like this.
  3. khabibul35

khabibul35 Tumbao

This is currently one of my favorite songs, but the video disturbs me a bit. Although to my understanding the lyrics of the songs don't have the same connotation as the animation, Cuban musicians have been adding more and more misogynistic connotations into timba, reggaeton, etc. I'm highly disturbed how often the lyrics describe women as sex objects, gold diggers, or liars. The word "mentirosa" is ubiquitous and although when I dance with my girlfriend I'll say it in jest when the singer utters it because it's become an inside joke of sorts between us, I find the overall trend repulsive. Reggaeton has gone the way of rap in this regard and I hate to see timba going that way too. It's really not cool.

4. BullitproofSoul

I can't speak for Reggaeton, or even for the rest of Timba.

But I don't think this song/video is any more misogynist than the last 50 years of Latin music. The idea of a girl not falling for you but then realizing your worth after you've succeeded is a old trope in music and beyond -- and they're having fun with it.

Just my personal preference, butI'd rather not hold Salsa and Timba to same standard of political correctness that we hold all things northern to.

wol, Slowdance and timberamayor like this.
  5. timberamayor

I think it has been a very common theme in Cuban music for years but has become more vulgar in reggeaton. This is actually a milder version than for example "El temba" or "Hagamos un chen" by Charanga Habanera. Or more recently Mi amiga Chichi by Revé. Same sort of idea about the woman who only likes a guy for his money.

The standard themes are
    1. I am so cool, I am the best
    2. I am so hot and all the women want me
    3. You broke up with me and I'm sad and now you'll be sorry because I am the best and besides I already found someone new who is better than you
    4. You broke up with me and I'm NOT sad and now you'll be sorry because I am the best and besides I already found someone new who is better than you
    5. My girlfriend is bad because she is jealous
    6. I cheated on my girlfriend but want her to forgive me
    7. Party
    8. Sexual innuendo songs

Slowdance, AToyane, Atomico and 4 others like this.
  6. BullitproofSoul

lol, that list is hilarious.

timberamayor likes this.
  7. timberamayor likes this.
  8. timberamayor

The latest from Aisar y El Expresso de Cuba

Slowdance and timbero-fi like this.
  9. timberamayor

The final recording. Watch it now because it may get pulled at any time! "Siempre sí"

10. timberamayor

The studio version is out now among well-connected DJs - timba romantica.

11. timberamayor

12. timberamayor

New by Issac Delgado from the upcoming CD Made in Havana -
    Caminando feat Ricardo Leyva & Sur Caribe
    This one is TIMBA

Slowdance and Atomico like this.
  13. Not released yet, just a teaser on Youtube just like with Siempre Sí. But omg omg omg this was one of my favorite songs from the old Van Van CD, can't wait for the release!

timberamayor likes this.
  14. timberamayor

Not completely recorded yet but here is a draft of something coming from Pupy with Lachy Fortuna on vocals.

15. timberamayor

And then came this one an orchestrated rumba with Yasser El Balacero feat Pupy y los que son son.

LOL even reminds me of Bembé at one point, funny...

16. timberamayor

17. timberamayor

18. Thanks for this!! I've always liked their sounds, and this album didn't disappoint! It's a shame not every timba band mixes their albums as well as Klimax or HDP...

The ending in Mami is maybe one of the best "post-montuno" rumba endings I've heard! I just love the playful drumming of Giraldo Piloto, the funky guitar and the groovy soneos!

timberamayor likes this.
  19. Salsquatch

Salsquatch Changui

I saw them live in London on Saturday. So much energy!

timberamayor likes this.
  20. timberamayor

Salsquatch likes this.