New timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor El Sabroso de Conguero

Calle Real have a new CD coming out in a couple of months titled "Dime qué". they debiuted 4 songs at the Stockholm Kulturfestival last Saturday. Here is a taste. The audio mix wasn't perfect. Tons of bass on the first song, but I think it's palatable
    Somos el Team

Película en color

Te lo dí

Bienvenido (a song in response to racism)

Two other songs that will be on the CD from a concert 2 years ago. Here I had the audio from the mixer so it was better but not much of the audience can be heard. It's a trade off - better audio but less ambiente :)
    Oye is a cover of a house song

Hoah is a remake of one of their songs that they released on Putumayo a few years ago with the first singer and a different arrangement, now with Thomas Eby and a new arrangement.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFgiG1EQoU

So that leaves 4 songs we haven't heard yet from the new album,

salsim, azzey, wol and 2 others like this.
  2. timberamayor

New Manolín -"Te Busco" the cuerpo is very salsa romantica but the timba does kick in at the montuno :)

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  3. timberamayor

Good news for Timberos, Maykel Blanco's new CD "Que no me quiten la fe" will drop on December 18th and on December 21st Calle Real's long-awaited 3rd CD - "Dime qué" - will hit the digital outlets. Good gift ideas for the timberos on your list.

http://www.timba.com/blog_posts/timba-for-the-holidays

4. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Timba/Salsa romantica. I like the way he says "SALSA" at the beginning.

5. timberamayor

Don't forget today Maykel Blanco's new CD is out at iiTunes - Que no me quiten la fe

6. timberamayor

salsim likes this.
  7. timberamayor

I'll reply to myself. I am REALLY enjoying this CD. I'm posting my thoughts on each song at Timba Geeks on FB as I listen to it for the first time. So nice to have something to share with other TGs. I'll post a summary oof my opinions here later :)

azzey likes this.
  8. timberamayor

When good things happen to Timberos:
    So I just finished my first listen to the new Maykel Blanco Y Su Salsa Mayor CD "Que no me quiten la fe" and what pops up next in my playlist Soneros All Stars "Goza esta changüí" - I have such great taste! Yes, self-congratulatory - but true ;)

azzey likes this.
  9. AToyane

AToyane Changui

Regarding Que no me quiten la fe, I really like it too. I am able to listen it a couple times a day without getting sick of it. Good sign.
    I'm a bit disappointed to see only one track featuring El Chino as lead singer. I kinda like his voice.
    I find it more distinctive than Kasanova's one, even if I can't hear him without having Azucar Negra in mind (especially given the only song he has on this album).

I also find the coros a bit "off" in this album. Maybe because I'm too used to listen to Cerrando filas tracks (what an awesome live album!).

Otherwise, it's really a great album. And OMG Yordys' voice… I could hear him sing all day long.

timberamayor likes this.
  10. timberamayor

The song with el chino REALLY sounds like AN. My suspicion is that El Chino came up with the coro if not the whole song. that's what sucks with digital is you don't get the credits like you do on CD covers. Cuando tenía dinero sounds so much like AN right down to the mambos. But normallly Maykel writes all the SM songs, so this is an interesting case. The song sounds clearly different from everything else on the album.

And Pa que todo vaya alante sounds so similar to Juégala by Pupy y los que son son. It's not the same harmonies but the style is so similar that it popped into my head immediately the first time I headr it.

I really like Siempre que lllueve escampa. Has a touch of old style to it and just a great song.

Did you get the new Calle Real CD? I don't know if you like them or not.

11. AToyane

AToyane Changui

I guess things will clear up when the CD is out by the end of January.

Of course I got Calle Real new CD (still digital), I like them. Not as much as the Salsa Mayor, but imho Me lo gané is a fantastic album and Con fuerza is good (with some awesome songs).
    Regarding ¿¡Dime Que ?! (not sure about the order of the opening signs, they use both on the cover) I only listened it once. So far I've mixed feelings. I feel like their music evolved a lot (after 6 years it is quite expected) so I don't really find the Calle Real I'm used to in these songs.
    I like Bienvenido which sounds to me like older Calle Real songs. Oye! makes me dance, it's obviously a good point. ¿¡Dime Que ?! is a great track. This is my first reaction. :)

timberamayor likes this.
  12. AToyane

AToyane Changui

I heard tonight songs from both MB and Calle Real albums.
    As I expected (and as we agree here) Siempre que llueve escampa seems to be the first hit of the new songs of this album. I heard it twice and it was the only song of the album to be played. That being said I hated the DJ so much when he cut the song before the end. I really hate that and that's why I usually don't go to this place but with Siempre que llueve escanpa it's just sacrilege to do that. Grrr.

Also danced on ¿¡Dime Que ?!. Nice song, not necessarily the kind I usually like to dance on, and not my favorite of this album but stil nice.

Otherwise I'm also having a crush on No me quiten la fé after a few more listenings. It's a truly beautiful song, that sticks in your head.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    timberamayor likes this.
  13. timberamayor

Big10 likes this.
  14. timberamayor

If the links don't work

Slowdance likes this.
  15. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

Can I get a Timba recommendation? Preferably something new, but that would also be suited to someone new to Timba? I am as confused as I am enthralled by Timba currently, so I am looking for something good enough for a Timba newbie to enjoy as a complete album. Also hopefully it would be one I can purchase digitally on Amazon.

I do own two Timba-related albums, and one of them I had no idea was Timba until I started to realize that Timba is something I want to explore. I have Calle Real - Con Fuerza. I also have Alexander Abreu - Haciendo Historia. I like the Calle Real album; I love the Alexander Abreu album.

Any suggestions for my next stepping stone? Something new, but also something of high quality throughout? I think more in terms of albums than songs.

Thanks!

16. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

I was totally blown away by this song. I don't know how new this is. I've heard other stuff by him and I really like him. Timba for contratiempo (ON2) dancers, that's what I call it (just me folks).
    I am trying get the Local Djs to play it at our two major events....no luck yet.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    timberamayor, salsim and premier like this.
  17. timberamayor

It's from the 2008 CD Control. A great song written by Roberto Carlos "Cucurucho" ex- Van Van pianist who is now doing his own thing in Latin Jazz i believe. He's part of the Valdés pianist family, grandson of Bebo Valdés.

Manolito has great music and was my Gateway artists into timba. His music always had a strong son feel. IMO he did OK after El Indio left with El Noro as his replacement. But after El Noro he's had trouble getting a stable set of good musicians. Ricard Amaray who sings lead on this song has been with the Trabuco for ages and many people mistakenly think he's Manolito because h has taken on a more and more front role. Amaray is also a good composer. Some of my friends don't like his RnB stylings but I have no problem with it.

Manolito has been playing around with some jazz albums recently and trying mixing in more reggaeton and such like he's been looking for a new identity to keep up with the tastes of the younger generation. And for me it hasn't been working so well. But he has some new stuff coming out so we shall see.

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  18. timberamayor

some video from end of 2015 Afloja la guayaba from MB y SMs new CD

Que no me quiten la fe - title track from the new CD

salsim likes this.
  19. timberamayor

This one is probably my favorite of the songs that hadn't already been released as radio demos. Kasanova on lead
    Siempre que llueve escampa. May even appeal to regular salsa fans.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    salsim likes this.
  20. timberamayor

El CHino lead vocals on Cuando tenia dinero. the arrangement in this one is the one that really makes me think of Azúcar Negra, and not just because El Chino came from AN

salsim likes this.