New timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I decided to start this thread to sort of keep stuff together, give people an overview as new stuff comes out. I just hope I can find it again next time I need it. I'm still finding that the search function seems to not be so helpful. Anyway, want to start with the not so new but still Estreno 2012 Van Van song Conga Tour because I LOVE it! I was underwhelmed by their last couple of CDs even though there are good songs, and La maquinaria has even been grammy nominated (or latin grammy) anyway I will finally end this run-om sentence with a link!

!

MacMoto, groovetpt, tallpaul and 2 others like this.
  2. the

the Sonero

This is a new band from the U.S.

3. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I have heard of them and seen that they do a lot of promotion at Facebook. this is a the first video I've watched. You can tell it's not Cuban timba. The R&B and rap beginning is very US flavored. The timba sound begins around 1.30-ish with the more interesting piano. They do efectos but no gear changes in this song, or rather no bomba or pedal. I don't know if their other songs have more of the "traditional" timba elements or not. But it's always cool when people do their own twist on timba, like Calle real has done, although CR has stuck closer to "traditional timba" than Demanana does in this clip.

4. miércoles

miércoles Nuevo Ritmo

Hi TM,
    What do you mean by "bomba" in this context?

5. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Here is an example with audio from Paulo FG. Basically the bass stops playing a tumbao and switches to thumping and sliding, and the percussion gets funky. This is when the Cuban soften switch to despelote. They call it bomba becasue it developed somehow form PR bomba sica, but I can't ell you how. There are all kinds of percussion examples in Kevin's beyond salsa percussion books

http://www.timba.com/artist_pages/gears-in-action-in-the-studio-pt-2

miércoles likes this.
  6. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Not totally totally new, but 2012. Bamboleo featuring El Noro. Nice Cuba fotos.

groovetpt, tocatimba and miércoles like this.
  7. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

The official video of Bembé...do I hear hints of Van Van's De La Habana a Matanzas??

miércoles likes this.
  8. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

well I posted this then deleted it then decided to put it here anyway...yes it's modern son but it gets timba-ish at the end

Latinjazz likes this.
  9. tocatimba

tocatimba Shine Officer

I play this song way too much. :) This and Gloria from that album are the two that send me .......

10. tocatimba

tocatimba Shine Officer

That has always been the (unfair I think) knock about Maikel hasn't it? That they sound like Van Van?

11. tocatimba

tocatimba Shine Officer

Mayimbe ---- La Tia Metiche

12. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Yes. But this is REALLY similar if you put on the one and then the other...very similar...but I don't care :)

13. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Really nice tune.. like the electro-piano in there, a nice touch -- I like little surprises like that. Great vocal performance by El Noro... I gather he was a special invited guest on this track from what he says at the end.. does he have his own band? I like his voice and style. ( sorry, still learning about the Cuba / Timba thing ) "caminalo!"...

GroovyMambo and timberamayor like this.
  14. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Oh...my...gawd! You don't know who El Noro is? He's with Pupy y los que son son now. Got his break with Maykel Blanco y Salsa Mayor when Yordis left (Yordis is now back with MB). Then he went to Manolito y Su Trabuco when El Indio left. Then he went to Pupy when Mandy left. I believe that is the order of things as they happened.

MB y SM

15. groovetpt

Wow. And that was all off the top of your head! I'm impressed.

I have heard the name ( El Noro ) before but don't recall listening to him sing.. but I am familiar with Pupy, Maykel and Manolito already... so... I'm getting there, slowly... please be patient with this old school New York Salsero... ;)

16. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

With el trabuco in Rome and Davide :)

17. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

With Pupy and apparently he wrote this song as well as singing lead.

estrella likes this.
  18. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

And he has done some solo stuff as well but IMO the Pupy, Manolito & MB stuff is better. What I've seen of his solo stuff is more aimed at teenage girls.

19. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Timberos are nothing if not obsessive :) But also I happen to know El Noro from when i went on tour with Salsa Mayor a few times and I was also on the SM tour when Manolito called to invite him to join and we went to his second concert with Manolito. He was really happy to see us because no one (of the sm gang) had gone to the first concert because they had their own concert that night. So when we showed up at Manolito's show at Café Cantante he was quite happy. Nice guy.

20. groovetpt

Thank you for the videos and inside-the-scene perspective, Michelle. As always...