Movie: Clave de Cuba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Jun 27, 2017.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Good documentary about post revolutionary Cuban Music - Música Popular Bailable Cubana but in Spanish

disfrazadas likes this.
  2. If someone can summarise what Samuel Formell says from the 12.20 mark I'd really appreciate it. Especially regarding the Songo.
    I promise I'll learn Spanish soon!

3. timberamayor

OK here are those forst 3 minutes of the Samuel interview. He says more later but this is the first part more or less.

When I was 3 my father created Los Van Van in the year 69 on Dec 4 and from that day forward I don't think I ever missed Los Van Van. I went to the rehearsals, I went to the recordings, I went to the live concerts. When a record was released he would put in on at home. And all the time there was always music - seeing my father composing, arranging - the different stages of the orchestra Van Van from the 70 which was a decade when he was very influenced by North American music, by pop - also by rock. He mixed all of these things, this music these musical genres inside himself, expressing the clave cubana - the movement of the cuban dancer - he mixed this and I think that songo came out of this.

What is song? Let's define it.
    Look, songo has - because there are many variations within songo itself - there is something very important, which is the clave. You always have to keep in mind that we make the music over a clave, even if the clave isn't in the arrangement. But internally we have to ...it's always there. So, one of the things that began to differentiate was what I mentioned to you - the piano tumbao, the pattern of the bass, the rhythm of the drums because the first group that had a drum kit in Cuba was Los Van Van. So my dad mixed with Changuito this same .... (makes drum sounds) with the high hat as if it were a beat, but (sings more drums) also with a different conga pattern. All the rhythm of the congas of Los Van van (sings) this same (sings again) so when you add the bass, you add the piano pattern - it's a music you dance to.

Instrumental demo

disfrazadas likes this.
  4. You are too kind!
    I wonder if you're kind enough to translate the whole thing :p.
    Pupy and El Tosco as well! I am missing out :(

5. timberamayor

If no one else wants to have a go at it I can do some more when I have time. I was thinking of writing to the guy who uploaded the video and asking him if he might add English subtitles because I think a lot of people would be interested. He seems to have uploaded more than one Cuban music documentary.

I did that subtitling of the Que Suena La Timba several years ago. Took a long time and now I've seen someone has downloaded the video from my channel and uploaded it to their own channel and it's being shared around. I find it irritating but what can you do? I don't own the rights to the documentary. But I wish people wouldn't do things like that. Sorry got a bit OT. Good night!