Memorable Salsa Quotes

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by ColdSalsero, Mar 20, 2011.

1. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

I have a dream that one day my children will be dancing on a salsa dance floor without being elbowed, kicked, kneed and have their faces whipped by someone's long hair.

I have a dream that my children will be able to judge the difference between what is real salsa dancing and music - and what is not! I have a dream that my children can go salsa dancing without hurting themselves, falling down laughing at the dance floor antiques of the clueless salsa "professionals".

I have a dream that when their dance partners smile at them, it is because of genuine joy of interacting with them and the music, and not because they are "performing" and want to "look good" (thank you Doctor King, ColdSalsero and his friend in Boston ;) ).

tocatimba likes this.
  2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Shine Officer

Hey I know that guy!

3. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

"Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another."-Anonymous

DJ Ara likes this.
  4. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Last night a good friend and regular partner (and regular student of Frankie) asked me to dance. The song that had just started was super, super fast. I normally like fast songs, but this one was ridiculous and I said to him, while walking to the dance floor, "It's so fast!".

To which he replied, "It's only fast if you make it fast". And proceeded to lead a perfectly nice and smooth dance to that crazy song. :)

This reminds me of one of Frankie's pearls of wisdom: "When the music gets fast, slow down."

wonderwoman and Ciaran Hegarty like this.
  5. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Those are wise words and apply to life as well. :)

6. 1coolgyrl

1coolgyrl Changui

Frankie Martinez said something about dancing on2 being like switching from PC to Mac. People start on PC and move to Mac all the time but you dont see much traffic in the other direction. :)

MAMBO_CEC, wonderwoman and Sabrosura like this.
  7. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

LOL - I started promoting Linux and Mac on my websites years before I was able to make the switch myself. Buying a Mac was one of the highlights of my life.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of salsa DJ's use PC's.

8. MMaatttt

MMaatttt Shine Officer

I run Linux, guess that's why I dance on3 ;)

Slowdance, SnowDancer and !!! like this.
  9. BMW

BMW Son

Problem being that before you can start to dance any where you need to build the dance floor, building and then teach the band how to play :)

10. !!!

!!! Tumbao

but at least you get to build your own moves. unfortunately, this can only be done by learning an arcane series of incantations in a grammer your grandfather would consider old fashioned. The band also can only produce sound on instruments from 100 years ago, and any request for teaching is met with a torraid of petulant abuse by anonymous teenagers.

Slowdance and azzey like this.
  11. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

:D
    And if you come up with a new move, you have to make it available on Youtube.

!!! likes this.
  12. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

What's worse is if you come up with a new move, you have to open source it. Find and fix the bugs in other peoples moves, commit the changes so that it won't break anyone else moves for the whole history of the dance (all while others are innovating and committing their changes). Then when you come to release your move you find that somebody else has got there first, with bigger and better marketing and a catchier name! Oh and it breaks the Cuban/NY/PR/LA salsa distribution, whose fans complain to you endlessly, which means you have to rollback your commit and start from scratch. :/

2haveaball likes this.
  13. MMaatttt

MMaatttt Shine Officer

It makes thing more intresting when rival groups fork the most intresting moves so no one knows quite what to expect..... Wait a minute, that sounds like most Ruedas!

14. !!!

!!! Tumbao

I guess torriad is some cross between between a torrent and a tirade

15. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

"The woman is like a feather, and the man is the wind."

Rodolfo Montaño Castro, one of the best instructors at the 2013 Dominican Bachata Festival, talking about partner connection.

elanimal likes this.
  16. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Shine Officer

I was telling a friend my dancing felt stagnant and he said this:
    "stagnant is hard word - it brings up less than positive imagery - swamps and standing water, I think you're more of a brook, myself, quietly taking care of business, but wishing you could have a waterfall or two."

Slowdance and ColdSalsero like this.
  17. Irisha

Irisha Changui

I love this one. :)

"Dancers are the athletes of God." - Albert Einstein

18. LizzyD

LizzyD Changui

This is my favorite quote. "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching."
    It inspires me all the time.

19. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

To quote what Bill Irvine said (10 times world champion in BR ) when asked what it was like ,dancing with Bobbie, his wife " Like dancing with a Ghost "...

20. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

"Let her storm wash over you." -- Edie the Salsa Freak

I never could decide if that's super cool or cheesy. ;)